Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45acp 185 vs 230 grain bullet

I’m currently running 185 gr Black Hills with Barnes bullets, but it’s got nothing to do with magazine weight and it’s not in a 1911. It’s a way of dealing with California’s non lead ammo regs. My USP full size always has non lead, and when I go into big critter country the hollow points get swapped out for hand loads with 200 gr Cutting Edge solids.

The 185 gr Barnes is on Doc’s list but if I had a heavier non lead option I’d use it. And if I knew I wasn’t going to be off the pavement for a while, I’d go back to a heavier conventional option. The non lead is for my woods gun only, and is a way of not being able to forget and need to waste time explaining to some rookie ranger that it’s not being used for hunting.

Those 200 gr SWC are sweet for practice though.

5-in gun with good magazines .....anything else is a compromise.

Seven or eight round magazines......or get something designed to carry more

I've heard some old time 50 yard bullseye shooters say the 185's are not accurate enough for their game.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I've heard some old time 50 yard bullseye shooters say the 185's are not accurate enough for their game.
    The 200 has largely replaced the 185 in bullseye for the long course. However, that's a fine difference when compared to a defensive scenario.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

How does shooting 185 compare to 230? Is there a significant difference?

230s in a lightweight Commander are getting harder for me to manage, particularly one-handed.

I also favor the 200 grain SWC in .45 ACP.

Bob

Fun and plinking, do what you want.

For duty/defensive use, none of the .45 Auto 185-200 gr loads, with the exception of the 185 gr all-copper, have proven to offer optimal terminal performance.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by MK11 View Post
    How does shooting 185 compare to 230? Is there a significant difference?

230s in a lightweight Commander are getting harder for me to manage, particularly one-handed.
    I find 230 grain Gold Dot softer than 185 grain Gold Dot in my CW45, but 230 gr. Dot may be softer than other 230 grain duty loads.

I have found that I am more sensitive to "snap" than "push." Muzzle energy is usually a better rough gauge of potential felt recoil than bullet weight for me.

In handloads, I have used near-minimum charges of powder behind 230 grainers (in my 625) for puffball loads, and it worked well.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List