Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45acp 185 vs 230 grain bullet

45acp 185 vs 230 grain bullet

Read that some folks, especially in 10 round magazines, use a 185 grain bullet to reduce the weight total that the mag spring has to push (elevate). The theory was that with less weight to elevate, the next round is presented quicker, thus an extra measure of reliability. Sounds interesting. I have never used a 10 round mag in my 1911. Just wondering about thoughts on the matter. Inquiring mind wants to know! Thanks in advance.

I've converted to the 185, not for the use of 10rd mags, but for the slides less than 5". The cycle speed of the shorter guns means the mag has to keep up with the elevated pace. This was mentioned by Bill Wilson a short while ago, and I couldn't find anything wrong with the argument, so I switched.

Following.

For years I used to regularly carry (and occasionally still do) a Colt CCO I got from Gunsite, 4.25" barrel, with the Officer's Model-size grip.

Never carried anything but premium commercial 230gr JHP (not+P), with which it was well vetted.
    Practiced with 230gr ball.

Used a variety of Officer's Model 6-round magazines from different makers, later settled on Tripp 7-rounders.

It's never yet malfunctioned.

(That may have to do in some degree with its having been worked over by Steve Morrison, and afterward treated with Robar's NP3, but still...)

The 185gr loads hit low, and judging from steel swinger movement, have less momentum as well.

I ain't changin'.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I've converted to the 185, not for the use of 10rd mags, but for the slides less than 5". The cycle speed of the shorter guns means the mag has to keep up with the elevated pace. This was mentioned by Bill Wilson a short while ago, and I couldn't find anything wrong with the argument, so I switched.
    Basically this.

I actually don't have any Commander or CCO framed guns in anything but 9mm for that reason.

For my government models, they'll either run ten round mags or not. Regardless of bullet weight. I wonder if perhaps the strength of the mag spring has anything to do with how reliable the 10 rounders are. I tend to avoid them in general. I have two. A Wilson and a CMC. The CMC powermag I had was unreliable with everything from 185gr Barnes JHP, 200gr SWC and 230gr. RNL, FMJ and JHP, so I put a Tripp super-9 kit in it and it works now.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

When I was living with the 1911 I never used anything other than a 230 bullet for serious purposes. That being said, I doubt the small weight savings of an 185 grain bullet would be a critical, or even meaningful factor. I think it's another urban myth that goes along with downloading your mags by one or two rounds to prevent fatigue. The reality is that 10 round 1911 mags in .45acp just wear out quicker no matter what. I always had to stay on those more than seven or eight rounders. Probably why I never bothered with them much except for range use.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

What, nobody favoring 200 grain bullets?
    I shot 200 gr SWCs at IPSC for so long that it feels natural to me.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    What, nobody favoring 200 grain bullets?
    I shot 200 gr SWCs at IPSC for so long that it feels natural to me.
    My handloads are all 200 grain SWCs, but for carry it's always been 230 grain HPs.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

hornady used to make a 200gr TAP load (black nickel case, +p). that was a great shooting load

Back in older times (1980s), I carried an American (rebounding hammer) Sig-Sauer P220 loaded with Speer "flying ashtray" JHPs.
    (That was the way-cool .45 Auto load back then.)

It always fed and fired in that gun, but not reliably so in my old series 70 Colt Gold Cup, unfortunately.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Site Supporter
    I shot Limited 10 in USPSA with a 1911 loaded with whatever 230gr. ball I could find for 3 years back around 03-04. I used all CMC 10 rounders and never had any magazine related issues of note.

I will add that most of my live-fire was at the matches (2-3 a month) and the majority of my practice was dry fire for budgetary reasons so my round count wasn’t stupid high, I would estimate maybe 300ish rounds a month.

User Tag List