Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock to M&P 2.0 parts concerns

Glock to M&P 2.0 parts concerns

I’m a loooooonnng time Glock shooter. I have several Glocks with round counts over 30,000, still going strong. One of the reasons I have remained a “Glock guy” is my ability to get stock glock parts from at least half a dozen different places: glockparts.com, glockstore, glockmeister, brownells, etc. I like to have spare extractors, striker springs, recoil springs, trigger bars, strikers etc. on hand. I keep up on preventive maintenance (spring changes etc) religiously.

I have dabbled in other guns occasionally for funsies, usually selling them after a couple of thousand rounds (call it long term rental). About a month ago, I bought a S&W M&P 2.0 Compact as my latest long term rental. A couple of thousand rounds later, and I am LOVING this gun. The accuracy is right in line with my glocks, so no problem there. The grip texture is amazing. I detail stripped this gun to get a look at the mechanics of operation and I am impressed with the simplicity compared to SIGs, Berettas, CZs, and HKs (yikes!). The funky trigger bar of the 1.0 is gone. There doesn’t appear to be any wear items other than springs (and maybe the sear long-term).

However, I can’t seem to locate a source for parts for this gun. S&W doesn’t sell parts on their website (that I can find). Brownells has a very limited number of parts, but most of those are Apex kits. Where can you get stock striker, recoil, and trigger springs? Extractors? I know Apex and Wolff are answers for aftermarket parts, but I am mainly interested in stock parts. On a related note, why did this gun fail the MHS so early? Were there excessive parts breakages? I am hesitant to keep this gun around if I can’t find parts to maintain it, even though I like it very much. Any high round count M&P shooters here?

"...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by GNiner View Post
    I’m a loooooonnng time Glock shooter. I have several Glocks with round counts over 30,000, still going strong. One of the reasons I have remained a “Glock guy” is my ability to get stock glock parts from at least half a dozen different places: glockparts.com, glockstore, glockmeister, brownells, etc. I like to have spare extractors, striker springs, recoil springs, trigger bars, strikers etc. on hand. I keep up on preventive maintenance (spring changes etc) religiously.

I have dabbled in other guns occasionally for funsies, usually selling them after a couple of thousand rounds (call it long term rental). About a month ago, I bought a S&W M&P 2.0 Compact as my latest long term rental. A couple of thousand rounds later, and I am LOVING this gun. The accuracy is right in line with my glocks, so no problem there. The grip texture is amazing. I detail stripped this gun to get a look at the mechanics of operation and I am impressed with the simplicity compared to SIGs, Berettas, CZs, and HKs (yikes!). The funky trigger bar of the 1.0 is gone. There doesn’t appear to be any wear items other than springs (and maybe the sear long-term).

However, I can’t seem to locate a source for parts for this gun. S&W doesn’t sell parts on their website (that I can find). Brownells has a very limited number of parts, but most of those are Apex kits. Where can you get stock striker, recoil, and trigger springs? Extractors? I know Apex and Wolff are answers for aftermarket parts, but I am mainly interested in stock parts. On a related note, why did this gun fail the MHS so early? Were there excessive parts breakages? I am hesitant to keep this gun around if I can’t find parts to maintain it, even though I like it very much. Any high round count M&P shooters here?
    Same experience here. Been issued and shooting Glocks since 94', have owned many examples of almost every model except the 10mm and long slide. Have 10's of thousands of rounds through them including a gen 2 19 with almost 40K through it. Feel the same about the ubiquitous nature of the gun, parts availability, ease of maintenance and simplicity of the design as far as working on them. Picked up a used 2.O compact for a very low price a couple years ago, really on a lark with no intent to do much with it. Took it as a backup to a 1 day class and decided to run it for the second half of the day after using a 19 in the first half. I was to say the least, shocked. It was a night and day difference in any kind of speed or rapid acquisition drill. Really, there was no contest in how much better I performed with it over the Glock. Even in an end of the day walk back contest, the little compact kept me in the top two shooters out of the class in that drill, shooting at a 12 inch plate out to 80 yards. I have since shot it at another course with the same result. After delaying and making excuses for several months I finally, started transitioning over to the 2.0 as my carry. In working on them, I find them to be a more robust platform, maybe even a little over engineered. They are a little heavier as a result which probably contributes to the excellent shooting characteristics. They are definitely not as easy to detail strip as a Glock, but, not many firearms are. The machining is excellent, right up there with almost any other maker or model. The accuracy has been excellent and absolutely no issues with reliability of any kind. Only issue I have had was with a new gun's sights. Had a tritium vile pop out of the sight the first time I shot it. S&W CS was excellent and sent out a new sight.

Parts: As you have found, they are not anywhere near as available as Glock parts. S&W did do a fairly decent job with their web store until recently. It has become hard to navigate and they are not showing their full stock of parts. Prices were good, like 3$ for a mag spring, which you cannot beat anywhere. It just seems to be hit and miss whenever I look on the site. Midwest gun works has a good selection of parts but they never have free shipping and the parts sell out fast. Midway has some parts and will frequently have free shipping. I have found parts on Ebay but usually at higher prices. Numrich gun parts has probably the best selection of parts at decent prices but the last time I looked they were not shipping due to the recent crisis.

Long term use: The first compact I bought used had been run hard, with probably 1-2K on it, maybe more. I have put a couple thousand rds through it since and the wear has been minimal to non-existent. The lock-up on the gun is still very tight and the trigger continues to be very good. The surfaces on the barrel and slide show almost no wear and that's after 1000's of draws from kydex in dry fire. I am very impressed with the finish treatment.

These guns are an exceptional value and deal. Before the COVID19 mess they were almost giving them away. You could find 2.0 compact's for 339$ with NS and extra mag in the early part of the year. I believe they were from a LE overrun. Unlike Glock triggers, which seem to be very inconsistent, sample to sample, at least in the gen 3 and 4 versions, the 2.0 triggers on the guns I have acquired and handled in the LGS have all been consistently crisp and responsive. Can't really tell the difference from one sample to another as far as I can tell. Also, the overall QC on these guns, frame, internals, barrel, and slide has been consistently excellent. Still a fan of the Glock and will continue to shoot and carry them but, these guns just shoot much better for me.

Thanks Backtrail! That's just what I was looking for. I wouldn't mind some other sources also if anyone is aware of any.

Now that the MHS trials are long over, is it still a big secret why S&W was dropped early? I had heard something along the lines of "they weren't modular"; but that doesn't sound right because Glocks aren't really modular either. Just wondering if it was for reliability or longevity problems.

Speed Shooters Specialties is hit or miss. Sometimes they have inventory and sometimes they are out of most things.

Brownells has a schematic page that shows an exploded view of the M&P. Not every part is available, just a resource to consider.

https://www.brownells.com/schematics...o--sid859.aspx

M&ps are cheap enough you can just have spare whole guns.

There are ebay sellers with the whole parts list too

Thanks again guys for the sources. Has anyone put together a realistic list of service intervals for spring changes or other parts? I know I have come across Glock, Beretta, and CZ service intervals on the forum, but I don't remember seeing any for the M&Ps. Any M&P armorers with more info? If not, I'll just count on spring changes at 10,000 unless I run into problems earlier. The locking block looks massive & bullet proof. The trigger bar looks a little cheesy, but so do the glocks, and I've never had a failure other than flaking.

Name:  IMG_20200521_112400.jpg
Views: 1107
Size:  44.6 KB

Replace every 5k:
    Slide Stop, trigger return spring, recoil spring, mag spring and follower. Also suggests mag spring and follower replaced after 1 year of continuous loading.

Replace striker assembly every 10k or every 30k cycles of dry fire.
    Replace ejector every 20k.

User Tag List