Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Those who want total ban on handguns lack understanding of firearm sports

Those who want total ban on handguns lack understanding of firearm sports

The real point that is highlighted by the gun control debate is that as a society we undertake to balance the risk to the public against the personal pursuits of law-abiding individuals. If the recreational activity of a law-abiding citizen creates an unmanageable risk to the public, only then does it require regulation or prohibition. Is the ownership and use of lawful firearms creating an unmanageable risk? No accurate, comprehensive statistics have been provided to suggest this is the case. None whatsoever. Those in favour of enhanced firearms legislation have relied on tragedies and terrible crimes to support the need for such controls. What is needed is a comprehensive review and meaningful analysis of the types and sources of firearms used in committing crimes in Canada. Only then can we decide the proper or necessary steps in moving forward with appropriate firearms control.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/opin...trol-1.5572268

I’m very pro gun, probably more than many here, but this argument about handguns being needed for a sport seems silly.

The same could justify belt fed full auto machine gun ownership if a sport was created to revolve around that. And yes, I do think belt fed full auto should be legal to own. But the idea that you’ll make a compelling case for ownership to anti-gunners by claiming its for a sport is ridiculous. All sports are man made, and this argument could justify anything being legal if it’s part of an invented sport, assuming enough other people believe the sport is real or want to engage in it, or want to own the thing that the sport justifies owning.

How about “anthrax blackjack” or “nuclear badminton”

The liberals don’t care if you use your handguns for sport, they don’t want you to have them. Period. End of sentence.

I agree. The appeal for logic, based on the flawed assumption that 'those in favour of enhanced firearms legislation' are open to discussion, is a Hail Mary pass to a field of blind people.

The goal is to take guns away, completely. Whatever convenient excuse that can be hammered to fit will be used.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

It ain't about "sports".

'Nuff said.

Rosco

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    I’m very pro gun, probably more than many here, but this argument about handguns being needed for a sport seems silly.

The same could justify belt fed full auto machine gun ownership if a sport was created to revolve around that. And yes, I do think belt fed full auto should be legal to own. But the idea that you’ll make a compelling case for ownership to anti-gunners by claiming its for a sport is ridiculous. All sports are man made, and this argument could justify anything being legal if it’s part of an invented sport, assuming enough other people believe the sport is real or want to engage in it, or want to own the thing that the sport justifies owning.

How about “anthrax blackjack” or “nuclear badminton”

The liberals don’t care if you use your handguns for sport, they don’t want you to have them. Period. End of sentence.
    What data can you cite to support this assertion?
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Alternate title: "Guns are dangerous but not that dangerous and I play games with them, so let me play my games".

That whole article sounds like a front for the "lock them up and leave them at the sporting club" Fudds. I'm pro-gun. Everyone should have a gun, as long as it takes seven people to simultaneously turn a key, each in a lock spaced 21 meters apart, to access them and all key holders enter a suicide pact that triggers if a gun or ammunition leaves the Approved Game Playing Area.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    This has been said so many times:

1. The Second Amendment is not about sports. It is about having firearms in the hands of the populace has an alternative reservoir of deadly force as compared to the state.
    2. The reasons area: self-defense, defense against tyranny, defense of the state from enemies foreign and domestic - necessitating civilian action (as unlikely as some of these might seem)
    3. The weapons are too dangerous to exist freely in the general public if they are only for recreation.
    4. Euphenisms like 'tools', modern sport rifles, etc. are surrendering to the toy motif and allow for bans
    5. As BBI states, toys can be locked up except for events. It is done in many countries. In the USA, let's take Rachel Maddow as a prime example. Rachel is a gun fan. She shoots ARs and 1911s. She takes dates to the range. She loves shooting. She thinks such guns should kept at the range and checked out for usage.
    6. From the criminology world, if the legal guns are kept at home, that increases the probability that the nice, law abiding gun through theft or the owner going bad or nuts, will cause the gun to be sent to the crime world or used with its easy access by the legal owner in something bad. So why have guns at home?
    7. The sports argument failed in the UK and Australia. My old Australian friend said gun folks who wanted guns at home were nutters. I have old UK gun magazines that mocked USPSA humanoid targets as those from blood crazed barbarians on our side of the pond.
    8. Sports and hunting arguments allow for weapons type bans.
    9. Evoking God Given Rights - meaningless unless God speaks personally on the issue. Whose God?
    10. The case has to be made that having civilians possessing instruments of deadly lethal force contribute more to the greater good than banning them.

The laws that banned African-Americans from having guns weren't to stop them from having a good time at a sporting event. They were to prevent them from having guns to right the racial tyranny of the times in the USA. That's a hint.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Alternate title: "Guns are dangerous but not that dangerous and I play games with them, so let me play my games".

That whole article sounds like a front for the "lock them up and leave them at the sporting club" Fudds. I'm pro-gun. Everyone should have a gun, as long as it takes seven people to simultaneously turn a key, each in a lock spaced 21 meters apart, to access them and all key holders enter a suicide pact that triggers if a gun or ammunition leaves the Approved Game Playing Area.
    Name:  Two Man Rule.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  20.7 KB

^^^^

Set 9mm's on fun...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List