Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Forward Mounted (ahead of the ejection port) Optics?

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    Anybody try the ALG six second mount?
    I have this one and the RMR version on a G17. They are a dream to shoot and feel more like cheating than any handgun configuration I’ve tried. But as you can see concealing would be tough and even a duty holster will be larger than most would prefer.

Also the 6SM requires removal of the rear iron and you can’t use/see the front. Of course it was designed for JSOC folks to use as primary for tubular assaults and such, not family trips to the mall.

The concept of a front mounted optic is one I find intriguing but I’ll let people with more money and skill sort it out before I give it a try. If @GJM drops an attacking bear or moose with one I’ll buy one. Lol! I also wonder about balance - especially for those of us with weapon lights on our pistols.

Is it the fact that the sight doesn't reciprocate with the slide, or that actually placing the sight further forward?

Quote Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
    Is it the fact that the sight doesn't reciprocate with the slide, or that actually placing the sight further forward?
    I’m not at the skill level to answer that definitively. And I only recently had a G19 slide milled for a RDS which I don’t have a lot of time with yet. I suspect the RDS not moving is a big help but there are people on P-F more qualified to answer that. Off the top of my head, pre-coffee: @GJM @Gio @Duke @HiltonYam

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I’m not at the skill level to answer that definitively. And I only recently had a G19 slide milled for a RDS which I don’t have a lot of time with yet. I suspect the RDS not moving is a big help but there are people on P-F more qualified to answer that. Off the top of my head, pre-coffee: @GJM @Gio @Duke @HiltonYam
    It’s definitely the mount on the non-reciprocating slide that makes it easier to shoot. It’s also easier on the red dot and should make it last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    SilencerCo showed a non-NFA variation of their Maxim 9 last year that was almost exactly what is being discussed, with the benefit of the optic being non-reciprocating.
    Attachment 54407

Pretty interesting. I might have to pick one of those up as a "poor mans Alien" to tide me over for a few years until I can actually afford/justify an Alien.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Kind of like what we’ve been doing on USPSA open guns for 30 years now, but smaller and more practical? Of recent, I have seen some pretty compact mounts that might actually work, though they require a steel frame handgun.

I’ve seen a few guys that actually do a slide mounted optic on their open guns, but given the choice I prefer a non reciprocating dot.
    Bingo

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    What is the benefit of moving the sight further away from the fulcrum of the pistol grip and my grip? I'm still in the training wheels stage of dots on pistols so this isn't snark, I'm genuinely curious.

I've read it's "better" to mount dots as close to your eye as possible on long guns (which I can neither prove nor disprove), is there a reason that wouldn't hold true for hand guns as well?
    On Long Guns where you are moving the gun from a low position to the mount with the toe of the stock as a hinge point it puts the dot in the eye line faster. It is not the same presentation as a handgun. It works well for me on my AUG’s and shotguns with a receiver mounted optic. If you work through the sight with a high gun like it’s a TV set...well, more forward is likely better but that is not what I do because of that whole Rule 2 and Rule 4 thing.

So, I started shooting a Aimpoint Red Dot in like 91 or so on a full unlimited class revolver running man on man steel plates and loved it. I won a lot. Key to running speed plates with a six shot wheel gun is you cannot miss...period. The dot was a huge help on working those plates at speed and sure of every hit.

Fast forward to the RMR’s and Aimpoint Micro. I was one of the very first people running one on a Pistol. I was the first to run a Aimpoint Micro in a cut slide mount and was ridiculed mercilessly at SHOT show....that became the L&M/Unity mount. Guess it wasn’t that stupid. So, I have time on this stuff. Here are my issues. Asymmetric shooting positions and adapting them to an everyone sight. Currently, I believe it takes more work than irons to get really good with them to see the huge potential benefits. I think the front sight is where we have all been taught to find the aiming point of any firearm as it sort of direct drives the muzzle. If we could get a very low mounted small sight that is essentially in the sight line of traditional pistol sights that does not move in recoil I think we are there. There is a reason folks do well with the ALG on a practical level and the USPSA open guns on a sport level. Now....miniaturize that, harden it for duty use and put it in a spot where it is low and doesn’t move and I think we will be at the stage where everyone can run it better than irons. The only thing I really got excited about at SHOT was the Alien pistol because it would allow for really testing this. Unfortunately, I am too busy buying historical guns to spend that money to be the experimental monkey in the lab again. I spent a bunch of money figuring out the Aimpoint mounting on the Glock and it cost the lives of several Glock slides.
    So we can make fun of the folks trying the forward mount and ideas of putting the red dot where the front sight is instead of the rear sight. Luckily, I wasn’t detracted by snide remarks 30 years ago running a dot or 10 years ago with the slide mount that could work in a duty environment. I remember all the people at SHOT laughing that you could never conceal a T1 on a Glock.....and I would just lift my shirt up with a T1 on a G17 in an appendix holster worn by a fat guy that they seemed to miss.
    So...those are my thoughts. Not really my focus these days so others can carry this flag up the hill, but I do applaud those thinking outside of what everybody else has now copied from the last bunch of people who got ridiculed and laughed at.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

For this concept, I envision something akin to shrinking a Desert Eagle. That gives you a non-reciprocating forward mount. For duty-type usage, the ALS holster is out. You will probably need something open-front, so it will have to secure on the trigger guard or mounted light.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

@Doug,

That's an excellent and frankly inspiring picture. Is there any additional information about who did that work and how that you would be able to share?

*EDIT* - I'm sorry, I didn't see that link in your earlier post. Thanks!
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

User Tag List