Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Forward Mounted (ahead of the ejection port) Optics?

I have seen optics mounted that way in NRA precision pistol (rimfire). I have not seen them mounted that way by anyone in that sport that I'd be interested in emulating. Something to note is that it's quite common for pistols to have full-length rails (making such a mounting easy), and the competitive guns are all blowbacks. I've tried mounting some tube-style 'dots over the ejection port and found the position to be...awkward, I guess, even when the weight balance wasn't noticeably different. I've also mounted Ultradots with both rings on the forward portion of the sight, allowing the rear to overhang the back of the pistol--same problem.

Upon trying out a red dot on an N-frame revolver, which placed the 'dot forward of the rear sight, I encountered the same problem, exacerbated by the fact that a revolver is further out in front of your hand.

I would say that the ideal placement is right above the grip. Moving the sight forward or rearward causes the entire sight move out of the line of sight under recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Well....as a positive I didn’t get called a complete idiot here who doesn’t know anything about shooting red dots like other places.....so that is kind of nice.
    Because P-F isn't shit.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The Laugo Arms Alien could accommodate that as well.
    Never handled the Alien or the un-suppressed Maxim. The Maxim I have shot was the long variant of suppressor- it was clunky feeling and the trigger sucked. I suspect holster design limitations could limit the success of the concept.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Forward mounted optics might be a little awkward for IWB.

Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    I shot a Glock with a 6 second mount and a T-1 years ago, it was my 1st time shooting a pistol with a dot. It was like shooting a hand held rifle, I liked it. Non reciprocating dots on handguns will be the future if someone can crack the code.
    Kind of like what we’ve been doing on USPSA open guns for 30 years now, but smaller and more practical? Of recent, I have seen some pretty compact mounts that might actually work, though they require a steel frame handgun.

I’ve seen a few guys that actually do a slide mounted optic on their open guns, but given the choice I prefer a non reciprocating dot.

What is the benefit of moving the sight further away from the fulcrum of the pistol grip and my grip? I'm still in the training wheels stage of dots on pistols so this isn't snark, I'm genuinely curious.

I've read it's "better" to mount dots as close to your eye as possible on long guns (which I can neither prove nor disprove), is there a reason that wouldn't hold true for hand guns as well?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Well....as a positive I didn’t get called a complete idiot here who doesn’t know anything about shooting red dots like other places.....so that is kind of nice.
    My original post wasn’t meant as a slight, it was just an equipment related observation from a sport that I participate in at a higher level of accomplishment and experience than shooting handguns, I thought that there may possibly be some overlap.

I know that I and, I’m sure everyone else here would genuinely like to hear your thoughts on foward dot placement. I don’t know what I don’t know and am always open to new ideas and learning.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I've read it's "better" to mount dots as close to your eye as possible on long guns (which I can neither prove nor disprove), is there a reason that wouldn't hold true for hand guns as well?
    I’ve actually found the opposite, within reason. Mounting the dot about at the front of the upper receiver provides better peripheral and I think less parallax than toward the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Forward mounted optics might be a little awkward for IWB.

Kind of like what we’ve been doing on USPSA open guns for 30 years now, but smaller and more practical? Of recent, I have seen some pretty compact mounts that might actually work, though they require a steel frame handgun.

I’ve seen a few guys that actually do a slide mounted optic on their open guns, but given the choice I prefer a non reciprocating dot.
    Exactly. Stuff that is initially cutting edge for competition seems to become std for duty / defensive gear later... Look at the difference in times / overall scores between Open and Carry Optics now, some of it may be mag capacity & minor scoring but I think the biggest advantage is the non reciprocating dot. An easily carried, reliable & reasonably priced pistol (duty rig &/or CCW) with a dot that doesn’t move I think will be the next major evolution for handguns. It’s a big ask but it’ll happen eventually unless phased plasma weapons comes first. I’d be good with either...

Name:  E6DE4D62-577B-4A9D-B3A4-8529D86145D6.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  33.4 KB
    I can’t tell you much about it but my buddy sent me this pic last month. He was at a client’s home and when the subject of firearms came up he couldn’t resist showing off his considerable collection. I didn’t know it was even possible to mill that area of the slide.

Quote Originally Posted by philpac33 View Post
    I can’t tell you much about it but my buddy sent me this pic last month. He was at a client’s home and when the subject of firearms came up he couldn’t resist showing off his considerable collection. I didn’t know it was even possible to mill that area of the slide.
    Thank you.

Site Supporter
    If I were in plain clothes I would be all over this, probably with a custom holster or Crye Gunclip. Unfortunately I am in uniform, and likely will be for the rest of my career, so I need a duty type holster if this were to become reality.

pat

User Tag List