Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Forward Mounted (ahead of the ejection port) Optics?

Forward Mounted (ahead of the ejection port) Optics?

I've heard Darryl and a couple of other people mention the concept of mounting the optic towards the front of the slide.

Has anyone done it? Seen it? Or even better, have photos and experience?

In advance, thanks.

Erick

Tagged.

Let’s see the holsters, too.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Erick,

I don't think there's anything like that in production. That is a concept that I believe we will end up with in say, five to 10 years. It makes sense to have the optic forward of the ejection port. My vision of this is a very small, streamlined, radiused triangle profile optic that presents at the iron sight level. Gun comes to eyeline and you see the dot where you're used to seeing the irons and press the trigger. We will see whether that has merit at some point.
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 05-20-2020 at 08:38 AM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter
    Anybody try the ALG six second mount?

I shot a Glock with a 6 second mount and a T-1 years ago, it was my 1st time shooting a pistol with a dot. It was like shooting a hand held rifle, I liked it. Non reciprocating dots on handguns will be the future if someone can crack the code.

I'm in the RDS curious stage, I just played around with a Deltapoint on an old bullseye gun that had a full length pic rail. The forward mount might have made it a bit easier, but not by much. This may reflect a lack of skill as much as anything.

I have been playing with a Fastfire on a 22/45. What has worked best so far was I 3D printed a tall front sight. It's maybe 3/4 of an inch high (because the Fastfire is on a tall mount already). The height makes it cowitness with the dot, i.e. presentation just like with iron sights, with the red dot acting like a giant rear aperture. This may just work well for me because I'm an old dog who has trouble learning new tricks. Having the monster front sight doesn't seem any more problematic holster-wise than putting the RDS out there.

Heck, if the dot failed, you could still use the RDS as a giant ghost ring.

Again, no extensive experience, in fact almost no experience, just me futzing around.

Site Supporter
    The one negative with that position is that the farther the dot is moved from being directly above the deepest curve in the backstrap the more the dot moves in the window due to any torquing or misalignment.

A great example of an industry that has figured this out is archery, where the contact point of the arrow is almost always centered above the deepest part of the grip to minimize any effects of torquing the grip.

Here’s a quick and crappy mark-up On a photo I got off the internet

Name:  4DF797C6-F908-44B4-8072-7D7A41F3F0B5.jpeg
Views: 695
Size:  6.1 KB

SilencerCo showed a non-NFA variation of their Maxim 9 last year that was almost exactly what is being discussed, with the benefit of the optic being non-reciprocating.
    Name:  silencerco-non-nfa-maxim-9-lead.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  102.7 KB
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Well....as a positive I didn’t get called a complete idiot here who doesn’t know anything about shooting red dots like other places.....so that is kind of nice.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    SilencerCo showed a non-NFA variation of their Maxim 9 last year that was almost exactly what is being discussed, with the benefit of the optic being non-reciprocating.
    Name:  silencerco-non-nfa-maxim-9-lead.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  102.7 KB
    The Laugo Arms Alien could accommodate that as well.

Name:  27E10E94-D904-4194-9AC9-77C5E1382719.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  28.0 KB

Name:  7C9C072F-74FF-4D20-ADC5-A23FC5B3D79C.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  39.2 KB

User Tag List