Thread: RFI, Lightweight Trim mower.

RFI, Lightweight Trim mower.

I have a Kubota riding mower for most of the lawn. But, it's hard to mow close to trees etc. because of the roll bar.

I'm looking for a very light weight push mower I can use to get in corners and close to and under trees. I have an older self propelled push mower, but I have already replaced the wheels a couple of times and it's too heavy. I would consider battery powered. I recently got a battery powered weed eater but there's too much to just use it.

Site Supporter
    I use an Echo gas string trimmer for jobs such as this. When I worked landscaping as a teen its what we used.

I've had a Craftsman similar to this one since 2003 for trim mowing and it's still going strong. Outside of blade, oil, and spark plug changes, the only thing I had to do was replace the pull string a few years ago. It's pretty light, my 10 year old daughter mows around the chicken coop and the raised flower beds with it, I take care of the trim mowing around the house though now, she knocked out our bathroom window with a rock last year.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-M...ine/1001363470

How level is the ground? (sucks on hills)

The lightest mower I ever dealt with, was an old black and decker, electric (extension cord), that went from one neighbor, to another, as older people passed or moved, to another older person. It hasn't been made since at the latest, the 70's.
    After that, the least expensive, remove the wheel and choose one of three bolt holes for the tires, mowers. It doesn't carry all the weight of the self propel stuff, the motors are just enough, and the decks tend to be lighter. In the old days, you could get aluminum framed decks, now they reduce weight on higher end self propelled (Honda comes to mind). I will stick to cheap for my needs.

One of the old Lawn Boy or Toro mowers with the magnesium decks are really nice for this. I have one of the latter. It is required some parts over the years but was a really solid design in it's day.

If you want new, something simple like this works well

I have the next step up Troy Bilt with the bag that I have been using to mow my lawn for the last 3 years without an issue.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I have a Kubota riding mower for most of the lawn. But, it's hard to mow close to trees etc. because of the roll bar.

I'm looking for a very light weight push mower I can use to get in corners and close to and under trees. I have an older self propelled push mower, but I have already replaced the wheels a couple of times and it's too heavy. I would consider battery powered. I recently got a battery powered weed eater but there's too much to just use it.
    I’ve used battery mowers since ‘06 and an Ego since ‘17. I can confidently recommend it. My 9 year old mows our 1/3 acre with it now.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Never say never

Ten years or so ago I tried a battery powered chainsaw and it wasn't worth a hoot.

Fast forward a few years to find me laid up with rotator cuff surgery.
    Pulling on the cord of a hard to start gasoline mower or weed eater was simply not going to be in the cards for me going forward.
    Besides, I was really sick of mixing gas and oil and gummed up carbs and gasoline that made plastic tanks brittle.

My wife broke the ice with a Greenworks 80amp battery powered chainsaw. She was tired of my excuses in the face of a lot of downed trees on our place.
    This thing is great. By the time the battery runs flat, I'm ready to take a break.

Next it was a Greenworks weedeater and then a second one, only bigger.
    Same thing here. When the battery goes flat, ready for a recharge....me too.

Finally a 21" self propelled Greenworks mower.
    I can mow until I'm tired, throw the battery on the charger, catch a cool one, and the battery is charged by the time I'm ready to go again.

I never would have believed it. Now I can recommend it.
    GOD BLESSED TEXAS

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I’ve used battery mowers since ‘06 and an Ego since ‘17. I can confidently recommend it. My 9 year old mows our 1/3 acre with it now.
    Come to think of it, the Ego folds up neatly and has handles fore and aft. You could no shit hang it on the Kubota and deploy it to trim out as you arrive at places of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingramite View Post
    I can mow until I'm tired, throw the battery on the charger, catch a cool one, and the battery is charged by the time I'm ready to go again.
    When the 9 year old started mowing, I got a second battery. Sorry, buddy, breaks are for old people.

Old?

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    When the 9 year old started mowing, I got a second battery. Sorry, buddy, breaks are for old people.
    Man, I got drawers that are 9 years old......not that long since I've changed them out....I did that on my last break.
    GOD BLESSED TEXAS

User Tag List