Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Future Gun Projects: What are your planning/wanting to build?

Site Supporter
    I have a 9mm Colt Combat Commander waiting to go.to Evolution Armory.

I want to put together a lever gun package for this hunting season. I'm thinking a Marlin 1895, having my smith smooth and debur the action, maybe a Wild West Guns lever happy tune kit, and topping it with a Holosun of some flavor or a low power optic.

Finally, I have a AR9 I've had in the works for a couple years that I'd like to get around to finishing. Maybe...

A lever gun dedicated to .44 Special to go with my 2 Ruger GP100 in the same caliber. My research is leaning toward the Marlin 1894 and I may have the base gun by Friday.

Get my not-a-6720 to the finishing point, and shoot it silly.

Get an XS big dot sight to mount over the bead on the Ithaca 37. Go through it and replace all the springs. It's 80 years old in June or so.

Make some grips out of Claro Walnut for the Model 36, and see how they work.

The .32NAA conversion thing thread has me wondering whether if it's really stupid or only-mostly-stupid to convert an Smith & Wesson 638 Bodyguard or similar to .32NAA. Or .32 H & R mag, for that matter. Not sure the frame would accommodate such a cylinder.
    Gawd help me, I was looking at that funky little Taurus .380 ACP revolver as a base for a .32NAA conversion. I'd need a Bridgeport lathe
    to make anything decent from that...

Oh, and a deer rifle for this upcoming season. #1 Daughter wants to go out for her first deer (she's 36) and we have friends who have several hundred acres in northern MN.
    I'm thinking 6.5 Swedish, or maybe .270. I've happily put cases of rounds through military Mauser carbines, so a thumped shoulder doesn't scare me. Son-in-Law has a Henry 30-30 that will likely work for her. Otherwise we'll be looking at all the local shops for package deals on Mauser M18s, Ruger, & Savage rifles.
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 05-19-2020 at 09:33 PM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

My only gun project this summer is getting my Kimber Talkeetna .375H&H ready to go for a once in a lifetime bison tag I drew. Need to figure out what bases I am going with. I'm likely going to mount my Steiner P4Xi 1-4 on it because weight doesn't matter on this rifle. An illuminated reticle will make it nice for the late winter hunt on large dark colored critters.

I mean, aside from a bunch of tuning jobs currently sitting on my bench...

*A lightweight 6.5 Grendel bolt-action, likely using an NSS-trued 700 action, as an exercise in assembling a bolt gun before I move on to...
    *An F-class rifle, presuming the ranges ever open, and I get around to actually trying it, and have the time to continue doing it. T/R .308 sounds about right, as I don't feel like getting into exotic cartridges with uber-short barrel lifes to get competitive.
    *A Gucci Glock of Maximum Stupidity, to accompany my G34 MOS of Moderate Stupidity. 19-size, weighted magwell, thumb ledge, slide all cut to hell.
    *Send off my K-38 Target Masterpiece to be refinished. In nickel, because I have no taste (although I will point out that a nickel finish was a special-order option on the pre-numbers 14s, so it's not a complete abomination).
    *Stick a mounting plate on my SA 1911, so I can finally admit I hate the factory sights on that thing and move the Holosun over to it...
    *...just as soon as I get off my ass and get the screws to fill the holes on top of the 327 R8, because the stupid rail really does make the irons difficult to use.
    *Research and kit out a practical shotgun, because I don't own one and my life lacks complication. Not a 1301 because I don't feel like spending 1301 money on the project.

I am itching for a new Sporting Clays gun. There is literally nothing wrong with my a300 for my level of shooting (typically 80-90 on the bunny slope courses, once a month at best). But I really, really want to visit Cole Guns and have an a400 fitted to me, just to see what the hype is about and to see if it changes my shooting in any way. Something like this here. And I’d like to find a good instructor to spend about a day, or maybe just half a day, with once I have that gun.

I’m also slated to return to the competition field shortly, if all goes well. I plan to shoot my newly re-vamped PCC and we will see how that goes. If I get out there enough there’s liable to be some tinkering, but I’d guess it’ll fall more on the side of match gear than monkeying with the gun itself.

And then there’s the pistol side. If the match goes well I’d like to add pistol as well. Which means I’ll likely buy a new Glock 34 or 17, gen 5, MOS (in case I want to try optics, but without them to start). And then that is like,y to kick off a larger project that I’ve wanted to do for a bit for no good goddamn reason, which is to cart all my “old” Glocks down to the funstore and trae them in on a new set of Gen 5s. I think the set I’d like to have is 3 Glock 19s, a 26, a 42, a 43x and a 48 (plus the 17/34 that starts the whole mess). I’d like a 43 but don’t really want to add yet another new mag type to the fold. All of that will probably result in some level of fiddle-fuck depending on what sights I’m able to get off the shelf. If I can get them all with pretty much the same ameriglos them all that would likely remain is to change out any ribbed triggers for smooth (is that still a thing? Some Glocks still come with ribbed triggers?).

I need to sort-out which sights/optic I want to use on my LAW-folding, 300 AAC/BLK DDM4V7P. I may or may not use a different brace, than the one provided with the weapon. A different upper unit may be tried.

I need to sort-out my long-delayed Glock Roland/Faux-land Special project, or decide whether I want to complete it, at all. I have the components to build one, on a Gen4 G19, but then bought a milled G45 slide, with an ACRO P-1, which is presently on my G19x lower.

I/We need to function-test our his-and-hers Winchester 94AE Trapper Carbines, .45 Colt. I just installed a youth stock on mine, and have been running dummy ammo through it, with good results, thus far. Previous revolver-cartridge lever rifles have vexed me, with their feeding reliability. This one shows promise.

One of my M2 Benellis may get an Aimpoint Micro, either a T1 or T2 on a receiver mount, or, an S1 on a 21” vent-rib barrel. I found the 21” barrel on evil-bay.

Unless I trade something serious, a Rattler is not very likely to be added, within the 24-month time window. I do like the concept, as it seems meaningfully more compact than my DDM4V7P, able to fit into an urban-friendlier bag.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I was supposed to be done with the first item on my list yesterday, but Palmetto and UPS have conspired to derail my plans.

To finish up current AR projects I need:
    Enough charging handles so each upper has it’s own BCG and CH. Turns out the “extra” charging handles I thought I had were already in use.

An optic for the AR9 build, probably something from Primary Arms or Holosun.

Another SBA3 to finish out another pistol lower.

Future AR projects:
    Put together an 18-20” .22 upper. I know the length is overkill for a .22 but I like the feel on the bench

Put together a 6-10” .22 upper because fun is still a real thing for me.

20” A2-ish build. Can’t decide if I want the OG handguards and fixed carry handle or more of an A4 style build.

16-20” 6.5 Grendel because I’m a big fan of 6.5s. It’ll probably share the A2/A4 lower.

Bolt action:
    I’d like a 16-20” 6.5G bolt gun to go with the AR just because. Might leave it in the original stock, might go with an Oryx, haven’t decided yet.

Pistols:
    Anything not a 4” or 4.25” 9mm will be a 5”. Might try a G34/35 again, might go X5 IF I can find one stupid cheap.

Maybe try to turn my P30 into a VP9. I need to try a VP9 first though.

I should probably go ahead and plan for a quality Government Model 1911 in .45 and 9mm. Probably something in the SA RO line.

Sheesh, I’m going to need 4 more years and a lottery win to make most of this happen...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Remington Rolling Block, hopefully a beater and resurrection in .45 LC for CAS/Blackpowder use. Find a shooter grade beater Win 1886 in .45-70 for the same.

User Tag List