Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Future Gun Projects: What are your planning/wanting to build?

Future Gun Projects: What are your planning/wanting to build?

We've done - good guns, great guns, disappointing guns, pulsating sack of fail guns -

Let's do something different - What gun projects are you currently planning or want to build in the relatively near future (within the next 24-months). To be clear, not dream builds, but rather what do you have now you're going to do.

1) I inherited a Winchester Model 25 (non-takedown version a Model 12) pump. The gun is nice, but way too long (28" barrel) for my needs, I don't hunt birds and if I did, I'd use a break action gun. Just before 'Rona hit, I called Vang Comp and asked if they'd work on the gun. They said, "Yes. It might cost more since it's non-standard, but we'd love to make it usable." So when 'Rona is over that gun is going to VC for a tune-up, barrel shortening, stock shortening, ghost-rings, and if possible VCS (not clear if back boring will be possible since the barrel is threaded into the receiver) if VCS isn't possible we will try for screw-in chokes. When it's all done, I think this will be the scattergun in the safe next to my carbine for defending the castle.

2) My old Marlin 336 runs great and it's a Pre-Remington Marlin. But the front sight base is canted enough that I have the front sight drifted over to get it to zero. I'm going to correct this finally, by sending the gun off and having the barrel straightened and cut back from 20 to 16". I also hate the floppy Marlin trigger, so a upgraded trigger, a medium sized lever loop, and a relieved loading gate and follower are also on the agenda. As is a general dehorning of the gun, because it's got more sharp edges than a razor factory. Shortening the stock and putting a recoil pad on it would be a nice addition, too. Gun already wears XS ghost-rings. I'm debating having the barrel threaded for a can in the future and whether or not to run a scout scope, an LPVO at normal eye-relief, or iron sights. When this one is done, it will go back to its traditional role as a venison getter.

Current: Getting one rifle and pistol set up for NV, and ultimate compatibility, as far as optics/lights/batteries, etc. I'm just waiting for my F-ing Palmetto State Armory order to get here. I ordered it on the 8th, and they took a week to ship, and they only gave me a UPS option to ship, and they picked the service that will take 11 days.

Definite: I hope that I get the call this summer to send in my Colt Commander for a full tilt build. It'll be different that what I normally commission (golfballs, parkerized, etc)

25% definite: Convert the pre-64 M70, 30-06 that my grandfather gave me years ago, into a Vietnam era "sniper"

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Selling more stuff and finishing setup of the stuff I already have. If the selling goes well enough, may pick out a nice duck/clays gun.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I’m working on building a 300 Blackout pistol. I have the lower and the LPK. I plan on getting an upper in a month or two. I’m thinking about getting an optic ready 5” M&P40 2.0. I’m also thinking about getting a 350 Legend bolt gun for Ohio’s deer gun season. Beyond that I plan on cleaning out my garage so I can access the presses and load more ammo for the guns I have.

I’ve got some.
    • Have my Remington 700 Package Rifle cut to 22” and bedded into a better stock. I’ll stone off the remaining sharp edges when it comes back. It may get a rattlecan paint job before deer season.
    • Have the same guy look over the battered 7mm Magnum that I inherited a couple of years ago. If the bore is still usable, then it will get a new recoil pad and be rebedded into its period laminated stock, but no refinishing work. If the bore is gone, then I may turn it into a 22" 338 WM and kill elk with it.
    • Pattern and zero a spare 1100 that now wears a post-COVID slug barrel.
    • Deep clean every gun I own, a chore I’ve been putting off for entirely too long.

Aside from that, I’m focused on reloading the brass that has stacked up around here for the last few years. When that’s done, I’ll test factory ammo and start looking at handloads for my 308 and 30-06. I’ve used three-shot groups until now but I’m changing the program to five-shot groups so I need to reshoot a bunch of tests.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    25% definite: Convert the pre-64 M70, 30-06 that my grandfather gave me years ago, into a Vietnam era "sniper"
    The guy who's working on my Package Rifle says he built a Carlos Hathcock tribute rifle a few years ago. I'll ask a few more questions when I go to pick mine up.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    If anything, I want to get the new Magpul Savage stock for my Savage Hog Hunter 308.

Maybe.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Just finished a PSA based 300 BO pistol. Just picked up a 6XC barreled action I am assembling for a PRS rifle.

Ahhh, the old gun projects schedule:

1) Bring my old Red Jacket-converted Saiga-12 to Dissident Arms for them to re-work it into a better action shotgun

2) Have my Colt Ace conversion slide built into a rimfire duplicate of my remaining Delta Elite

3) Have my STI full-rail frame built into a red dot .460 Rowland

and lastly,

4) Get a PCC built out of the CMMG Guard operating system

It should be a busy 24 months.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

I'd like to build a classic 601/ SP1 style AR rifle, just to get my 'feet wet'.

Next, if I really wanted to go crazy, I'd get a .38 super 1911 handgun kit (the everygunpart ones) and put it on a Caspian frame.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List