Page 49 of 76 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: Official SIG Rattler owner/fan-boy/nut-hugger thread

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I look forward to the review on it! I'll be on the hunt for a new mount soon. Trying to decide if I think the irons are that critical for a gun that sits in a safe or backpack most days.

Meanwhile, back in the jungle, last night Cloud Defensive announced on IG a flash sale on clear anodized OWLs - 25% off. I know they're chunky in terms of weight, but I've wanted to check one out for awhile, so I've got one on the way.
    For what it’s worth, I’ve got the FAST installed for all of 24 hours. I think Sensei @SouthNarc is right. It is the way. For me, it means I can lose the heavy folding irons I had on there, and I’m being persuaded on the heads up posture of the high mount. One small benefit for my use case is that one handed aiming is a *lot* easier on the high mount.

Hopefully I can both sight it in and continue to contribute to my 401k at the same time.

Anybody seen Rattler upper conversion kits come in stock lately? I can only find them (overpriced) on GB.

For @RevolverRob:

Sighted in the FAST, spent 50 rounds on it. Some scattered notes:

• I’m still learning the “chin weld”… it’s odd to not have my cheek as a reference point. Definitely takes practice.
    • The dot appears in front of my eyes so naturally.
    • The aimpoint didn’t need much change from my last mount (scalarworks)
    • The built-in irons are almost unusable. It’s real hard to shift my gaze back to the front sight. I could see myself eventually putting a front sight post at the end of the rattler ala @SouthNarc, but that would require 500 bucks of spending on replacing the X300 at 12 o clock, so I’ll wait.

I stopped at the SIG Academy pro shop today, I never had a chance to check out a Rattler before this. All of you who have one of these can bite me.

Damn, I can see the appeal in a huge way.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I stopped at the SIG Academy pro shop today, I never had a chance to check out a Rattler before this. All of you who have one of these can bite me.

Damn, I can see the appeal in a huge way.
    I hear you. I handled a Rattler, at an LGS, early last year. Normal MSRP. Very appealing. Loved it. I already had a DDM4 V7P, 300 BLK, so resisted the urge to put the Rattler on lay-away. Big mistake. It sold quickly, and next thing ya know, the firearms market went crazy.

A DDM4 V7P, 10.3” barrel, with a LAW folder-ed buffer tube, is not really any more compact, in practical use, than a 16” M4 carbine, largely due to the LAW folder making everything longer. The LAW folder, when folded, makes for a double-wide load. The Rattler is in a different league of compactness. The DDM4 V7P is a backpack gun, whereas a Rattler is a sling bag gun. Coulda, shoulda, woulda...
    Last edited by Rex G; 06-21-2021 at 02:45 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

There’s no way a Rattler could be considered cheap, but the student discount is pretty substantial. I think I want to start planning for one to replace my current micro AR pistol, a 5.5” 5.56 with a LAW folder.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Finally got the rattler out to the range today to sight in an aimpoint t1 (4 moa) on a unity mount. Took me about 25 rounds to get it down at 50 yards as I had to briefly move to the 25 yard range because I wasn't even on paper at 50. (Turned out to be about 8 inches low and 8 inches left at 25)

One lesson I learned was shooting unsuppressed (at least with the current muzzle device, a dead air key micro) sucks as the concussion from the blast felt like a little punch directly to the sinus cavity on each shot.

Shooting suppressed (subs with a silencerco omega) was really nice, the gas to the face was much less pronounced than an 11.5 AR with the same suppressor.

Ammo supply being what it is I only set out to get it sighted in (my supply of supers is nearly nonexistent at the moment) and see how it faired with the subs and suppressor.

Ammo used was sig 125gr and s&b 220

Edit: on that note has anyone shot the wolf 145gr through one of these yet? The current prices make it a bit more attractive than brass fmj
    Last edited by helothar; 07-15-2021 at 11:05 PM.

Site Supporter
    Parker Mountain Machine is close to releasing their updated version of the original MCX "Kate Moss" stocks, for those of you interested.

Go Ruck is releasing it's velcro backed "tactical" version again. So you get a factory velcro back panel. I wish they would do the waxed canvas heritage in this version. Would be amazing.

https://www.goruck.com/collections/p...39382064201828

The same LGS, where I saw a new Rattler early last year, with price tag of just under $2K, listed one last week, with a price tag of $3295. Sigh.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List