Page 14 of 76 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: Official SIG Rattler owner/fan-boy/nut-hugger thread

Like others have said rocksett recommends boiling in water for 20 minutes and then “forceful” removal.

I got interrupted by screaming kids during my cooking session - probably going to get this done later in the week, I really should bolt down my vice...

Currently letting it soak overnight, seems to be the consensus on what to do.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

A torch isn't that bad to use either. Contrary to popular belief, it can be gentle and get hot enough to loosen the rocksett.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    @MickAK did you just clamp your barrel in some soft jaws or did you use a barrel holding jig? I am wondering if my soft jaws are "too soft" and are allowing more flex than I want? I am probably way overthinking this problem...
    I use a thick leather belt wrapped tightly around the barrel and a bench vise, but I have recently found out I am a 'poor' to be 'flexed on' so that explains that.

I don't think you're overthinking it so much as it's a different technique. Think 'impact wrench', as in lots of small sharp raps rather than a big steady pull.

Lots of folks seem to have an issue with this though so I suspect SIG has an problem with overtorquing the muzzle device on installation.

Removing the barrel makes this easier can't tell from your gun cooking pic if you did or not.

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    I use a thick leather belt wrapped tightly around the barrel and a bench vise, but I have recently found out I am a 'poor' to be 'flexed on' so that explains that.

I don't think you're overthinking it so much as it's a different technique. Think 'impact wrench', as in lots of small sharp raps rather than a big steady pull.

Lots of folks seem to have an issue with this though so I suspect SIG has an problem with overtorquing the muzzle device on installation.

Removing the barrel makes this easier can't tell from your gun cooking pic if you did or not.
    If the overnight soak doesnt do it I'll just wait till later in the week since I have a ghetto setup right now where my vice isnt bolted down super well. From all the accounts this should thread off easily after a soak though...

I did remove the barrel from the upper.

So, a slight detour here. I have a B&T APC9 Pro. Like it; fun, and relatively cheap to shoot. But thinking about getting a Rattler, for the increased "horsepower". (Either would still primarily be a range gun, or road trip/camping gun.)

My question is, and likely this is something @GJM would be able to answer, what is the relative recoil and report of the .300BLK compared to the 9mm. Say on a scale of 0-10 for each, how do the two compare for recoil and noise. None of the local ranges has a PDW rental in .300BLK.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    So, a slight detour here. I have a B&T APC9 Pro. Like it; fun, and relatively cheap to shoot. But thinking about getting a Rattler, for the increased "horsepower". (Either would still primarily be a range gun, or road trip/camping gun.)

My question is, and likely this is something @GJM would be able to answer, what is the relative recoil and report of the .300BLK compared to the 9mm. Say on a scale of 0-10 for each, how do the two compare for recoil and noise. None of the local ranges has a PDW rental in .300BLK.

Thanks!
    In terms of concussion, the APC9 Pro is like shooting your service pistol with 147 grain ammo and the Rattler in .300 is like shooting your 5.56 16 inch AR.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    In terms of concussion, the APC9 Pro is like shooting your service pistol with 147 grain ammo and the Rattler in .300 is like shooting your 5.56 16 inch AR.
    Ouch. (And now I recall you noting some time back that Charlie made that observation. My bad memory.)

All too familiar with ARs at the indoor range I frequent. A nice range, and popular, but not sure why its 25-yard max distance attracts what seems to be a considerable number of ARs (mostly 16-inchers). And they are noisy indoors, even more so when someone brings in a short barreled one. I, among others, double up on plugs and muffs there.

Might have to invest in suppressor if I go with the Rattler.

Thanks George!!

Got all my tools in to give this rattler muzzle break change another go.

User Tag List