Page 11 of 76 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Official SIG Rattler owner/fan-boy/nut-hugger thread

Sure if you’re wearing night vision. This one is IR.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Do you think the TOR is bright enough to sub for a front sight? Or am I still hoping and dreaming that I’ll escape trying to find some BUIS configuration?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Nah that's a Larue LT660HK mount with Troy Micro BUIS front and rear. My Unity care package hasn't made it here yet.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I’m obviously not SouthNarc but regular BUIS are too tall for an HK height optic. I wish MBUS came in the HK height because I could use them on my AUG which has an HK height optic mount.
    So, as the HK height Larue mount is lower than than the 'absolute co-witness' one, then the HK sights are necessary? and this is in order to keep the size of the whole package down?

I was also wondering if there is something to the sight picture that the Troy HKs provide vs the normal ones, as I have no experience with them..
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    So, as the HK height Larue mount is lower than than the 'absolute co-witness' one, then the HK sights are necessary? and this is in order to keep the size of the whole package down?

I was also wondering if there is something to the sight picture that the Troy HKs provide vs the normal ones, as I have no experience with them..
    It’s maddening sometimes trying to figure out all the options. Troy makes “HK” sights (round hood on the front) in traditional AR height and they have the Micro set that are lower. Usually they are used on piston guns such as the HK416, etc. I went with an “HK” height red dot mount on my AUG because the AR height felt too tall. I don’t have BUIS on it because it’s not used on duty and I don’t want to spend the money on Troys for a rifle that is for matches and range days. Irons are so rarely needed these days that I usually go with the less expensive plastic MBUS but they are only made in AR height.

My understanding (which could be wrong) is -

You use the HK Height sights, because the top rail of a Sig/HK/other Piston Gun is higher than a standard AR15 rail. As a result, AR15 sights, in particular the front, are difficult to get low enough to zero properly, particularly at closer ranges (<50 or less).

Then, because the front sight is shorter to co-witness you need an HK height instead of an AR height riser, for 1/3 cowitness, because the AR height 1/3 cowitness is too high. I have no idea what height is needed for an absolute co-witness on HK sights, but it's probably lower than an AR absolute.

If you run the Troy HK Micro sights and a T1, the LaRue HK-height mount makes a lot of sense.

___

For the Rattler and other <8" barrel PDWs I have an idea right now, that I'm going to chat with some folks about prototyping.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    Current bag is the slick Goruck GR1 21L with a Ruck Customs polymer panel that's covered in velcro and MALICE clipped into the bag. Blue Force Gear DAP accessories allow me to keep the gun where I want and mount other things to the panel. Right now the bag is loaded with The Rattler, a BFG 221 sling, 3 30 round Lancers, 2 20 round Lancers plus the one in the gun which gives me a load out of 150 rounds. A SOFTT Wide sits in the corner and in the laptop compartment is the Angel Armor plate. All in a bag 18" tall, with no MOLLE that looks like a cheap Jansport.

Wow! Well done sir!

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    My understanding (which could be wrong) is -

You use the HK Height sights, because the top rail of a Sig/HK/other Piston Gun is higher than a standard AR15 rail. As a result, AR15 sights, in particular the front, are difficult to get low enough to zero properly, particularly at closer ranges (<50 or less).

Then, because the front sight is shorter to co-witness you need an HK height instead of an AR height riser, for 1/3 cowitness, because the AR height 1/3 cowitness is too high. I have no idea what height is needed for an absolute co-witness on HK sights, but it's probably lower than an AR absolute.

If you run the Troy HK Micro sights and a T1, the LaRue HK-height mount makes a lot of sense.

___

For the Rattler and other <8" barrel PDWs I have an idea right now, that I'm going to chat with some folks about prototyping.

^This.

Yeah man that was the thought processs to keep everything as small and close to the gun as possible. I may be going the other way though now once I get the Unity mount and play with it.

Personally I've always liked the round HK style front sight as it works as a nice standalone "ghost ring" at half-room distance.

Okay, here is one idea I have -

Something a bit like the ANVL UKON mount, but without the sights obscuring the tube.

A T1 mount with 45-degree pistol sight mounts and dovetails. Use the Glock pattern and tuck them down very close to the base of the tube, where the tube and mount meet. Now, the problem, Aimpoints adjust on the right side of the optic. So, to keep things high and tight, I'm thinking sights canted on the left side. This will require some manipulation to rotate the top of the gun outboard (ejection port down), instead of inboard (for a right handed shooter), but would offer a very low-profile iron sight option. I'm talking almost vestigial, where the body of the optic meets the mount the sights stick up and you can half-use the seam where the body and sight mount meet as a plane to help orient the sights (like looking at the top of a pistol slide).

Maybe @SpyderMan2k4 and Aridus Industries can offer a Rattler CQB mount...

A work in progress. Someone said early in the PDW thread that older laptop bags are a workable solution. For my environment, this makes a ton of sense.

So I dug out this bag from the dungeon. It’s a mid 00’s Case Logic laptop bag that my wife carried back when laptops were giant bricks and your company spent $5k on a machine and accessories that you were responsible for. They also came with a ton of gear for attaching by cable to various ports . Hell, the power cords were huge and had giant boxes. 🙂. So there are pouches and organization everywhere.

I think the bag was like $200 back then.

The thing is a tank. Built as heavy as the VERTX bags but designed to take a fall with your mobile computer setup. Very stiff and padded. Comfy straps and belt. Carries the load nicely and I’ve barely used the storage space.

Name:  1BE0C9FD-ED9E-46EC-9C06-7D5C108441D8.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  63.5 KB
    Name:  8F274B82-DE48-49F7-A19A-948FC26E125A.jpg
Views: 1056
Size:  46.3 KB

The outer main pocket neatly organizes and retains extra mags and a sling.

Name:  9FB37A8C-51B8-47B4-AAAE-CE82A06219C6.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  47.6 KB

The laptop sleeve is extra padded and soft inside. Much more than other modern bags I own It is a perfect shape to hold the rattler vertically as if it were fitted. 20rd mag works best. There is a lip in the sleeve literally designed to flex while the sleeve retains shape so you can reach in a partially unzipped bag and pull a heavy laptop out with one hand. It makes access easy. For now, I will leave the pocket that the sleeve is in empty because it’s better for a hasty “re holster” than the sleeve is.

Name:  8918A566-414E-4FEE-A0A0-BF1F7962328E.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  45.3 KB

Name:  9A39B5FA-A11C-40E8-AEA5-DD3F9EC64E81.jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  40.9 KB

It’s boring neutral earth tones that won’t draw attention and it’s super rigid. It was carried for 2 years already and looks brand new. I’m going to see how it works long term
    Last edited by EPF; 05-24-2020 at 07:58 PM.

Okay here is a potential low-low-low mount iron sight solution: https://www.hightowerarmory.com/Prod...e=HTAMULTIBASE

This company makes a bunch of chintzy stuff, so no clue how quality these mounts are. That said for 40 bucks and a set of Glock sights (I bet someone around here has some plastic ones they’d donate to the cause) it could be worth checking out.

I’m envisioning these mounted and then using something like a SLR Rifleworks T1 mount - https://slrrifleworks.com/t1-mount-absolute/ - It’s such a low profile mount you could easily see through it. A set of suppressor height sights and an adjustable rear might be needed to get them zero’ed at 50, but if it works, it would be very low profile.

User Tag List