Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does a Smith 640 Pro generally shoot to sights?

Does a Smith 640 Pro generally shoot to sights?

640 pro. The sights are better than the typical J-frame but, in general, will they shoot to the sights for 148 to 158 grain 38 special? Interested in the group wisdom.

Has anyone changed out the three dot for something else?

Hey man, I am on a small screen or i would send you links. Both Lucky Gunner and Revolver Guy have addressed poa/poi with the 640 Pro.

I can not find anyone selling drop in replacements for the 640 pro sights. They sure look like Novaks but Novak doesnt list them.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Hey man, I am on a small screen or i would send you links. Both Lucky Gunner and Revolver Guy have addressed poa/poi with the 640 Pro.

I can not find anyone selling drop in replacements for the 640 pro sights. They sure look like Novaks but Novak doesnt list them.
    That's cool, thanks. I will go look those up.

My 640 Pro shoots everything low at 15 yards, ranging from 1.5” to 5” low. I found one moderate .357 handload with a 180 grain bullet that shot only 1” low, so there is that. It does shoot decent groups. I found that I didn’t have any problem making hits when I shot it at the Revolver Roundup a few years ago.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    My 640 Pro shoots everything low at 15 yards, ranging from 1.5” to 5” low. I found one moderate .357 handload with a 180 grain bullet that shot only 1” low, so there is that. It does shoot decent groups. I found that I didn’t have any problem making hits when I shot it at the Revolver Roundup a few years ago.
    Hey LT. Are you using the top of the front sight post or the center of the dot?
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Did this over last December as I recall these are from 10-Yards.
    Attachment 54249Attachment 54250Attachment 54251

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Hey LT. Are you using the top of the front sight post or the center of the dot?
    top of the front sight.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post

Most stuff shoots .5" to 3" low at 7 yards out of mine. .38 short barrel Gold Dots are .5" to 1" low. .38 129 grain HydraShok is spot on, but I don't trust the penetration enough to carry it.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

The only thing that shot to the sights on mine was full house .357 Magnum 158 gr. Nothing I would ever carry shot to the sights.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Thanks for all the feedback folks. Seems pretty unanimous.

User Tag List