Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quick overnight backpack trip

quick overnight backpack trip

Me and my 17 year old had to get out of the house.
    We decided on a quick backpacking overnighter in the White Mountain Wilderness located in the Lincoln National Forest of south central NM.
    The Argentina/Little Bonita loop trail is just shy of 6.75 miles.
    The plan was to start hiking around 4PM Sunday afternoon so we'd be on the top in the late afternoon for the best view of the Tularosa Basin, White Sands and Valley of Fires lava flow and then drop off into the Little Bonita canyon to camp.
    Day one was 4 miles (mostly uphill), day two was 2.75 miles (mostly downhill).
    Since the weather was awesome, 80 for highs, 50 for the low, slightly cloudy and breezy we went with hammocks.
    Saw a few elk and turkeys and had some quality guy time with zero cell service.

My Garmin data:
    Name:  Screenshot_20200518-174714_Connect.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  23.9 KB

View from Argentina peak looking at the Valley of Fire:
    Name:  20200517_172711.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  97.1 KB

My 17 year old enjoying a shaded trail:
    Name:  20200518_071123.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  100.3 KB
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Love it! The Air Force stationed me in NM a lifetime ago. I never made it into that region but one of my favorite places I’ve backpacked was in the other end of your state. Las Vegas, NM.

Looks like a good bonding trip with your boy!

Thanks for sharing. I'm thinking about getting back into backpacking. I have been doing some city walking just to check my level of fitness.

My unshaven DGAF because we're in lockdown look:
    Name:  GarminConnect_20200518-164754.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  79.6 KB

Since this is a gun forum, S&W 340PD in my right front pocket was my "loadout".
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post

Since this is a gun forum, S&W 340PD in my right front pocket was my "loadout".
    Might be taking that ultralight hiking thing a bit too far? See any rattlers?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Might be taking that ultralight hiking thing a bit too far? See any rattlers?
    In these mountains humans at the trail head are the only concern and since the nearby Bonita lake is closed for dam repairs the number of day use people was zero.
    The trail head had 2 homely "horse chicks" and their pack horses and a retired couple doing day hikes in a mini-RV.
    Too high of elevation for many rattlers, not enough trash cans for bears and not enough deer for cats.
    Our first choice of a campsite we bailed on because there was a badger den in the root ball of a blown down tree right next to the best hammock hanging trees.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    My unshaven DGAF.
    Holy shit, I think I just saw a bigfoot....

Awesome you were able to get out with your son. My boy and I got out for the first time this year last week. Got rained on the second day, but still a good trip.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Elevation: 7400' at the trailhead, 8600' at Argentina Peak.

Avg. moving pace was 2.2mph, HR maxed out at 150bpm for a few minutes at the final steep push to the crest trail.

This flat lander is jealous.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

One of the best memories of my youth is a back country camping trip with my father in 1983 in North Carolina. We hiked all day to get to a remote campsite that had a nice stream next to it.

Your child will remember that trip for the rest of his days.

User Tag List