Thread: The Essential Arsenal

Site Supporter
    Quality versions in:

9mm Glock 19 size
    AR in 223, with an optic
    Pump shotgun

Don't have to be fancy pants - generic good stuff

Nice addition- some kind of 22 LR. Handgun or Rifle

What gun will depend on what circumstances but the basic concepts remain the same:

A belt carry pistol: G19/17 sized (but doesn't have to be a Glock or a 9mm or even a semi auto). Plus a spare
    A subcompact/pocket/NPE pistol: 442/G26/G43/P365/Shield sized. Plus a spare.
    A long gun for reaching out further and/or more power on target. Whether it's a shotgun or a rifle will entirely depend on one's circumstances.
    A knife that will be carried all the time. Whether it's folding or fixed, large or small is entirely dependent on the circumstances.

All of the above needs to be checked against local laws.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    You know David thats been my dilemma. Strictly speaking from a safety standpoint... Which action type. And its the only thing about the 320 platform I dont like. No gadget or hammer.
    I bought a LEM due to what I read here about it but sold it with under 500 rounds through it because I hated it. And now with time down the road and watching others input here there is no way I would recommend it to anybody. Seems to me it takes an excessive amount of ammo and time to become proficient with it.
    I have never shot the da/sa platform and really I have no idea who to send him to for training on that platfom. Or even if its the best choice.
    While personally I dont care for the glock, with a gadget it might be the best choice. Easier to learn but also striker fired give you a plethora of choices of platforms and with more available accessories than anything else.
    But Im always open to considerations.

Eta he is only 5.5 hours North of @Nyeti when hes in school but I dont see any da/sa classes on that schedule.
    I'm not qualified to answer your question authoritatively. I'll give my thoughts anyway.

Hardware: Having chased the equipment game from Glock thru several iterations of DA/SA, I've finally concluded that we totally over-think hardware. I am sympathetic to Ernest and Darryl's Threat Management Trigger concept; that's one of the reasons I carry DA guns. I also think a Glock is a completely reasonable choice, especially given all the additional benefits (ie, Gadget, MOS plates, etc).

5.5 hours north of Dallas puts him in northern OK, Southern KS. I'd look up @Chuck Haggard or Mike Seeklander ( shooting-performance.com ) facility near Tulsa for DA/SA training, or any other type of training for that matter.
    David S.

I think country people need more guns than city people.

Everybody needs:
    *9mm service pistol of G19 type capability. Preferably 2. One to shoot/dryfire the ever living holy piss out of--and the other one for defense
    *5.56 AR of decent quality. Preferably 2. The second could be a super cheapo beater to devour copious amounts of commie steel case ammo
    *12 gauge. Because.....12 gauge

Lazy/Normal people also need:
    *A smaller carry gun in 9mm to carry when you are being normal or lazy.

Rural country people also need:
    *An accurate .22 rifle for pest control
    *A deer hunting rifle
    *A bird hunting/clay shooting gun

Some country people also need:
    *Different Stuff to protect them from BrownBears/Mooses/Hippopotamuses

I've heard the Glock 48/43X/SIG P365XL may be "game changers", so that may be worth thinking about. Otherwise I think it's a good program.
    Last edited by frozentundra; 05-18-2020 at 04:42 PM.

To get to the answer I asked myself if I were only able to own 5 guns what would they be?

-SW 642
    -G5 Glock 19 (although that switches to HK USP/c 9 if I lived with a 10 round mag limit)
    -Remington 870 (and multiple barrels for different purposes)
    -AR in 5.56 (opens the possibility of multiple uppers)
    -6.5 CR bolt gun, probably my Tika CTR or my Steyr Scout

the rimfire gets left off my personal list, although an upper for the G19 or the AR are possible...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    And its the only thing about the 320 platform I dont like. No gadget or hammer.
    <snip>
    Eta he is only 5.5 hours North of @Nyeti when hes in school but I dont see any da/sa classes on that schedule.
    IIRC, the 320 is available with a thumb safety. My M&P45s have them, and their holsters are molded to keep them in the "on" position.

I just did a class with @Dagga Boy, and he and I were both running full-size PX4s. He told me it was the only time I'd ever have the same pistol as the instructor. I'm pretty sure that any class with him could be a DA/SA class.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Bolt gun in .308 (Probably least sure of the "right" choice for this one. I also think it probably matters the least)
    Where'd my post go? I think my phone ate it.

I was gonna say, the vast majority of folks won't need this. I've owned several .308's... and sold them. Hunting aside, you need to have two factors fall in line to make this practical: somewhere to train, and somewhere to actually use it. Bonus points if it's the same place. If you have those, great. If not, a .308 bolt gun isn't a high priority or even very useful.

Course now that I look, AR-10's have come a long way since the last time I sniffed around...

Site Supporter
    Checkout my “group standard” thread. I wish I knew how to link it

I want to thank everyone for their post so far. Lots of very valuable input to process making me delve into trains of thought that I havent fully explored.
    School complicates things no doubt. He told me next year he wants to share a rental with friends which complicates it even further.
    Of course the school has a no weapons on campus policy. 🙄
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    Checkout my “group standard” thread. I wish I knew how to link it
    You just hold your finger on Name:  79713B4F-F4E8-434E-A49E-157F08208B9A.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  15.8 KBthe number on the right side of the black bar at the top of the post. Pop up menu and click on copy url. Paste it in the thread where you want the link to be seen
    Last edited by UNK; 05-18-2020 at 05:34 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List