Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Essential Arsenal

The Essential Arsenal

I have a young one rapidly approaching 21. Ive given some consideration to the essentials to have and was wondering what would you consider the essentials and what would you choose to fill those rolls.
    Looking forward to your inputs.

My thoughts:
    Pocket gun: S&W 642 or M&P 340
    Small 9: Glock 43 43x 48 or Sig 365 or 365 xl
    Full Size 9: Glock 17 or Sig 320 Carry
    Shotgun: Remmie 870 Police or Beretta 1301 w chokes
    Rifle: AR 5.56 midlength 16” barrel COLT or BCM
    .22’s. Ruger for pistol M&P AR 22 and an Anschutz bolt action
    Last edited by UNK; 05-18-2020 at 11:35 AM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Survey says....it depends. It depends on a lot of factors, but mostly on your level of commitment to carrying and training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    I have a young one rapidly approaching 21. Ive given some consideration to the essentials to have and was wondering what would you consider the essentials and what would you choose to fill those rolls.
    Looking forward to your inputs.

My thoughts:
    Pocket gun: S&W 642 or M&P 340
    Small 9: Glock 43 43x 48 or Sig 365 or 365 xl
    Full Size 9: Glock 17 or Sig 320 Carry
    Shotgun: Remmie 870 Police or Beretta 1301 w chokes
    Rifle: AR 5.56 midlength 16” barrel COLT or BCM
    .22’s. Ruger for pistol M&P AR 22 and an Anschutz bolt action
    I'd opt for a G19 for the full-sized 9, and I'd go with a gas-operated shotgun over a pump.

Other than that, I'd add a Ruger Bisley in 44 Magnum and a 22" stainless 270, 308, or 30-06 with a 3-9 variable and bedded into a good synthetic stock.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    Survey says....it depends. It depends on a lot of factors, but mostly on your level of commitment to carrying and training.

Hes enrolled in bjj taking a class from Cecil this Year SN next year, who knows after that, and has his own card to the range. Access to everything I own and plenty of ammo. So Id say somewhat committed.
    But this isnt about me. Its about what you consider the essentials .

Coming from someone with a small group of firearms...

642-1
    G26 (Needs or preferences will vary)
    G17
    AR

I'm a commie and don't own a .22 (yet) so that may invalidate all of the above.

Substitutions of makes and models clearly acceptable based upon cost, how the gun "feels" and "performs" for your son. All the essential food groups appear to be included in your list.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    I would shrink that list quite a bit from a practical standpoint. Always going to want specific guns for specific interests (clays or hunting, etc)

Consider LCR for pocket gun.
    G19 or m&P compact to cover compact and full size as his main handgun.
    Switch the Ruger 22 to a Glock 22 or m&p 22 to replicate his carry gun.

Drop the bolt action and the shotgun unless he develops a specific interest in those.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I'd opt for a G19 for the full-sized 9, and I'd go with a gas-operated shotgun over a pump.

Other than that, I'd add a Ruger Bisley in 44 Magnum and a 22" stainless 270, 308, or 30-06 with a 3-9 variable and bedded into a good synthetic stock.

Okie John
    Thanks for posting. Oddly enough a .44 mag was on my beyond essential list. Glad to see that listed. Might I ask why the Ruger over a S&W? Im really not familiar with them.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Coming from someone with a small group of firearms...

642-1
    G26 (Needs or preferences will vary)
    G17
    AR

I'm a commie and don't own a .22 (yet) so that may invalidate all of the above.

Substitutions of makes and models clearly acceptable based upon cost, how the gun "feels" and "performs" for your son. All the essential food groups appear to be included in your list.
    Thanks Blues. Actually he already has a Hammerili Xesse and a Ruger 22/45 sporting a C more and The Annie bolt action albeit an older one.
    I seexwhat you are saying about your Glock choices with commonality of mags but my thoughts on the smaller 9’s is they are easier to conceal and not such a thick bulge.
    But ya I think you've nailed it.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar

The Essential Arsenal

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Hes enrolled in bjj taking a class from Cecil this Year SN next year, who knows after that, and has his own card to the range. Access to everything I own and plenty of ammo. So Id say somewhat committed.
    But this isnt about me. Its about what you consider the essentials .
    Excellent. In that case my advice to a young man or woman who’s not just going to shove their guns in a closet or drawer is the following. This is also geared towards newer shooters who may not have or want to spend a ton of money (yet, ha).

• Glock 19
    • 16” AR15 (pretty much legal everywhere, plus let’s KISS for starters)
    • 870 or 500 - a 1301 is arguably better, but let’s get pretty handy with a pump before we move on
    • Subcompact/deep concealment weapon - mag compatibility with your full size weapon isn’t an issue or likely even possible so I won’t say you have to stick with Glock or even a semi-auto.
    • .22 - don’t really need one if you don’t plan to shoot .22. But “everyone should have one” - as it’s not likely to be pressed into a serious role, just get whatever suits your intended use.

Personally, I could get away with the list below. I already have decided on what to pass on to my son, should he deserve it.

In order of practical importance:

J frame
    AR
    hunting rifle (this is location/game specific)

User Tag List