Thread: .30-06 175gr Federal Terminal Ascent

.30-06 175gr Federal Terminal Ascent

I know this is "Pistol" forum but I hope someone will get some value from this. Since I haven't had time to reload the last several years I've been shooting factory ammo almost exclusively. I've always been in search of the "ideal" hunting bullet that will still expand at lower velocities, yet retain some mass at short distances. This round is advertised to do so, hopefully it delivers.

I've put almost a case of it through my rifle and been happy with the performance. It shoots just under 1 MOA from my 22" proof and nails the advertised velocity of 2730fps. I was only able to chronograph 5 rounds as my magnetospeed gave me problems that range session.

Average velocity: 2729
    SD: 13
    n:5

The advertised G7 BC of .258 has been spot on for me out to 1k.

This was 5 shots today at 500yds after 1 sighter on steel to make sure I hadn't screwed up my wind call too badly.
    Name:  20200517_124334.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  23.7 KB

I'm still hoping I can find a bear to introduce one to this spring.

Yup, looks a lot like a tipped version of the excellent TOTM originally tested by the Marines around 2008ish, but not adopted; sadly only the non-bonded, less capable SOST Mk318 and Mk319 SOST were procured for SOCOM......
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    That group looks like a combination of very capable rifle, shooter and ammo. Impressive!

Can you fill us in on your rifle set up, please?
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter
    Thanks for posting that. I had not heard about that load. I am have a number of 30-06 bolt guns and may need to give that a try.

That bullet design is impressive and that BC is crazy high. Definitely interested. BTW, excellent shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    That group looks like a combination of very capable rifle, shooter and ammo. Impressive!

Can you fill us in on your rifle set up, please?
    Thank you, coming from you that means quite a bit.

The action is a GAP 7000, which is a Lawton rebranded for GA Precision. I recently had RW Snyder rebarrel it with a 22" Proof Sendero contour with a 1:8. No particular reason for the high twist rate other than I got a really good deal on it and at 06 velocies I'm not worried about spinning projectiles apart. I had him bed it in a Manners T3. I recently put an Insight Arms Heathen Lite brake on it. It's aluminum and replaced an Area 419 Hellfire which is a fantastic brake but saved me almost 1/4 lb. So far it doesn't show any wear after about 300 rounds, but I'll probably clean all the carbon off of it soon and take a good look.

I put an S&B PM2 3-20 on it. The total weight is just over 12lb. It's a bit heavy for a typical hunting rifle, but it's alot easier to shoot.
    Name:  20200404_124340.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  39.8 KB

User Tag List