Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ammo reliability criteria for home defense AR

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    I grabbed 200 rds of the gold dot 75 gr SP and will test a few 30 rd mags of it when the weapon is dirty and hot. I don’t expect problems but that’s why you get empirical data. Thanks again for the suggestions.
    I thinks it more important to see how the AR runs dirty and cold. That's when the sludge is at its thickest (and the real reason why duty/defensive arms should be cleaned & lubed after range sessions).
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    I'll limit my comments to the ammo itself. GD is a great choice as are the other ATK products. My agency has used ATK products for a long time and they have proven to be consistently reliable. If they work in your rifle, and they most likely will, load with confidence.

We probably ought to spin the downloaded mags thing off to another thread as it really doesn’t have anything to do with ammo selection or the rest of the topic at hand.

As for the topic at hand, the more fiddle-fuck that’s gone into the gun, the more rounds I’m going to want to see go through it before I trust it. Give me a factory Colt or BCM or Daniel Defense (still just about the only manufacturers I’ll trust out of the box... hey it’s BCD now. 20+ years ago it was ABC...) and if I can get through enough ammo to get on paper at 50, zero at 100, check my drop at 200, and check holds at 50, 25, 15 and 7 without an issue then I’m good. Maybe I’d like to take a mag or two of the good shit to a class and use those as my last mags on day 3 after not cleaning the gun, just for shits and giggles.

IMO if you’re serious about the gun being “for defense” the above is pretty much the minimum standard. If your response is “well it’s just for home defense so I’m zeroing at 25 for use inside the home” then... well we probably shouldn’t continue that chat there Walter. “Agree to disagree” as the internuts like to say.

At the other end of the spectrum, give me sumdood’s MOAR gun where he started with an 80% lower, dropped in an LPK but chose a go-fast trigger, installed a Law folder, grabbed up the new hotness stripped upper and installed his favorite barrel from boutique maker, screwed on his own muzzle device, got a carrier from one guy and a bolt from another... fuck that shit. I’m going to want to see a cad of good ammo go through that gun before I call it good.

These days most guns fall somewhere between those two extremes. Even guys that buy factory guns just have to fiddle-fuck themselves into problems because:better. But even if you take a BCM upper and pop it onto a DD lower, I’m still going to want to see more rounds through the gun than just my zero process.

folks that are more used to handguns are used to a different set of issues. Handguns tend to have more potential for problems right out of the box (at least if you’re comparing to BCD) but generally if your have a pistol from a known good maker you’re pretty good to go with a couple of mags through the gun. But the level of fiddle-fuck you see in ARs is not really matched in “defensive” handgun circles. Most folks are going to buy a Glock 19 and change the sites and be done. You don’t hear of many people buying a Glock 19, replacing the slide with one from a different manufacturer, dropping in a barrel from another, installing a new firing pin, then replacing the trigger, and the mag catch and the slide stop... well shit, yes you do. But nobody takes those people seriously.

The point is, a factory AR from BCD is, in my opinion, more trustworthy than a factory pistol from 99% of makers, and the fact that getting a good zero and doing your holdovers will put more rounds through the rifle than many pistol buyers will shoot through their gun EVER gives me a greater sense of confidence in a properly sighted AR fromBCD than just about any factory handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    I had some problems with my Ruger fairly early on. Bought a variety of range fodder to see what it would like the best.

I'm not one of unload ammo for much of any reason, but it would not eat anything steel cased, which isn't a huge surprise, but Armscor and Aguila had many multiple malfunctions in only a couple hundred rounds of each. On a clean rifle, not hot and nasty or shot much. Speculation is/was that those two brass case loads just didn't have enough oomph to cycle the system. I wish I had more to run compared to Fiocchi 55 gr ball, which runs really slow compared to AE .223, M193, and M855.

And I guess it's worth asking what the real point behind "defensive" .223 is? Mine sits with a mag of M193 in it, mostly because it does have a bit more ass behind it than the .223 loading does. Otherwise, it seems to me it'll do the job sufficiently, if necessary.
    The same point that drive defensive pistol rounds. Ball/FMJ sucks, including M193 compared to better options on the market. What makes it seem like it'll do the job to you?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spence View Post
    And I guess it's worth asking what the real point behind "defensive" .223 is? Mine sits with a mag of M193 in it, mostly because it does have a bit more ass behind it than the .223 loading does. Otherwise, it seems to me it'll do the job sufficiently, if necessary.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....mance-Thoughts

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-mm-Duty-Loads
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Regarding the logic of Downloading AR magazines.

I had no idea that was a 22 minute topic. Wow. All the more reason downloaded mags needs it's own thread (and I can't imagine we don't already have twenty threads on this topic).

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I thinks it more important to see how the AR runs dirty and cold. That's when the sludge is at its thickest (and the real reason why duty/defensive arms should be cleaned & lubed after range sessions).
    "Cold" is also the status I would (hope) most defensive encounters in your house start with.

With gun already dirty from a previous trip, you could run a mag of the good stuff cold, shoot some ball to get it warm and dirtier, and then run another mag of the good stuff.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I had no idea that was a 22 minute topic. Wow. All the more reason downloaded mags needs it's own thread (and I can't imagine we don't already have twenty threads on this topic).
    I always seem to get in trouble for asking questions...

Colt 20's were recommended earlier in the thread. I'll say it's gun dependent. My carrier speed on a suppressed 10.3 (properly-gassed at 0.070) is too fast for the mag spring on the last couple rounds of even a brand new Colt 20 (let alone a PMAG 20). I've not tried the new curved pmag 20's or Lancers. I'd like to because there are times when a 20rd mag is more handy. On a properly-gassed 14.5" + gun, or even my gun without the suppressor it works just fine.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

User Tag List