Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ammo reliability criteria for home defense AR

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    My search fu might need, to borrow the phrase of a well known poster here, to train at a better dojo. So I apologize if I missed threads on this. Links are welcome.

when selecting home defense ammo for an AR, how many rounds do you experienced folks run through the weapon, typically, before calling it acceptably reliable? Usually on a handgun I’ll run at least 200 rounds to be sure, and I could certainly do this on my carbine - just, rounds off Doc’s list are not inexpensive. I’ll gladly make the investment as required, because unreliability at need is the most expensive. But still, I thought I’d ask If the threshold is typically lower, higher, or the same in terms of figuring out what can be relied on. Thank you, as always.
    I'm usually satisfied with the performance of untried quality ammo in a good AR somewhere between 50 and 100 rounds, including a basic sighting in at 25 or 50 yards. Maybe a bit more if backup sights are included.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Remind me, what is the rationale behind downloading mags?
    I download 30 round mags to 28, and use 20 round mags at capacity.

Especially when dirty, 30-round PMags can be very tough to insert on a closed bolt when loaded to 30.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Remind me, what is the rationale behind downloading mags?
    When we carried MP5s the mags could hold 31 rounds but we were trained to load 28. If you tried to insert a mag with 31 rounds in a MP5 with the working parts forward it wasn’t happening. When we switched to ARs 28 carried over for the reasons LL mentioned.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Okay - but how many rounds of a given defensive load should be fired to confirm function?

Seems like 3-5 mags (of whatever capacity) is sufficient to establish adequate feeding and lock back function?

___

FWIW - I've always done 5-mags loaded to my chosen capacity.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Huh that's interesting. I'm new to ARs so while I've heard this before I didn't really understand until now. I haven't noticed any of my guns having a hard time with inserting mags on a closed bolt. They require a little bit of a tap sometimes but nothing strenuous. No issues with either 20 or 30rd GI style mags or PMAGs.

That said maybe I'll download my GI mags at least as I have noticed the floorplates on some of my 30rd GI mags are bent slightly away from mag body. Nothing that seems to affect function but given that they are a semi precious resource to me I want to keep them in good shape.

I always download to an even number. So if I do a mag check to make sure a round got chambered (high round is now on the other side), it works whether the mag has 30, 28, or 20.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Shoot target fodder ammo until the gun is fairly filthy. Load up 100-150 rounds of chosen ammo. Run gun with more fodder ammo until it's now hot and even more filthy, immediately shoot the 100-150 rounds of chosen ammo while verifying function and accuracy. Seems like this should do it?

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    If you can rip through 200-300 rounds of ball ammo then throw 2 mags of specialty ammo on top of that through a dirty, hot gun with no problems you're likely good to go. A few more after that is cheap insurance, if you are so inclined.

Huh that's interesting. I'm new to ARs so while I've heard this before I didn't really understand until now. I haven't noticed any of my guns having a hard time with inserting mags on a closed bolt. They require a little bit of a tap sometimes but nothing strenuous. No issues with either 20 or 30rd GI style mags or PMAGs.

That said maybe I'll download my GI mags at least as I have noticed the floorplates on some of my 30rd GI mags are bent slightly away from mag body. Nothing that seems to affect function but given that they are a semi precious resource to me I want to keep them in good shape.
    It's one of those things that came from the experience gained in our adventures overseas. I never have an issue seating fully loaded mags in normal circumstances but if you train tired and in awkward positions you can start to see the value. Like someone already posted rifle/mag dependent but a lot more value in having 28 for sure quickly than 2 more with some potential fiddling and cussing.

https://youtu.be/xiBtg4NgQc0

Chuck P with the knowledge. Your BCM should be fine with 75gr GDs. I have two that run them along with a few other rifles of various manufacture through various USGI mags and tons of Gen M3 PMAGs. I know what conventional groupthink may say but I’ve only ever run a full mag for function testing, that includes zeroing. If you want a balance, federal has a 75gr FMJ that supposedly has very similar ballistics. Could probably call it safe if that works and some GD does as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List