Handgun 301
Shoot Logic, LLC
Reevesville, SC
May 16th

I was super excited to get out of the house this weekend and attend my first class of the year. Covid has had my life fire pretty well on lockdown and I was afraid this class may be cancelled or rescheduled but thankfully it was not.

This was my third class at Shoot Logic in Reevesville, SC and will not be my last. My first two were LTT's Tactical Pistol Skills 1 and Mike Panone's Covert Carry. This was my first of Shoot Logics courses of their own curriculum though. In addition to Ernest and Noner, ShootLogic also hosts instructors like Pat Mac, Craig Douglas, Kyle Defoor, Scott Jedilinski, and others. Instructors for this course were @TElmer2 and Brian M. I've been in classes with both but this was this first I'd taken with them as instructors. They did a great job and you could tell the quality of instructors they've been working with has rubbed off. The course was professional, well paced, very safe, and really tailored to the students level of skill.

Handgun 301 is ShootLogic's advanced pistol class. The course description is as follows: "Students will learn; how to engage from unconventional positions, target discrimination, proper use of cover and concealment and, complications associated with shooting with an elevated heart rate. Natural body movements, speed, efficiency, and the concept of “proprioception” will be enhanced through advanced drills that encourage a thought process and, intelligent comprehension of the reason behind the action."

Range and classroom facilites are very nice. Weather was nice, sunny with a high in the low 80's. We started the course in the classroom for introductions, course expectations, and safety briefing. We quickly moved outside to one of the range facilities. We had 9 shooters, 2 instructors, and 4 RSOs so a great ratio of cadre to students in my opinion.

We began with dry fire warmups, presenting to the target from the holster while our instructors observed everyone's draw stroke and presentation offering tips and suggestions. Dry fire would be a regular part of the course and emphasis placed on its benefits as part of one's regular training regimen.

We moved on to shooting a couple of timed live fire drills to establish a baseline for each shooter. Curriculum closely followed the course description with focus on balancing speed and accuracy from the holster, efficiency of movement to facilitate completing steps sooner as to build speed, multiple target transitions, shooting on the move as well as engaging multiple targets on the move, accuracy from distance, and more.

The class concluded with a repeat of the timed standards to evaluate progess. We then moved back to the classroom to review times and debrief. Round count is listed at 250 but is really up to the shooter and I finished right at 300 having taken a couple of additional runs through some of the drills.

A couple take aways I left with were some suggestions on some tweeks to my draw stroke as well as some great target transition drills to incorporate into my live and dry fire training. I also should have brought more water as I ran out after lunch and I think it may have negatively impacted my performance towards the end of the day. Hot and humid SC days ain't no joke, even in May!

Equipment wise, I ran my EDC G19 with in a JMCK Wing Claw 2.5 and a JM IWB mag carrier and back filled from two Comp-Tac mag carriers. This was my first class using my JM gear and it was comfortable and worked very well.
JM was well represented in the class with several shooters running Tony's holsters. I had zero weapon or ammo issues. I shot half Blazer Brass 115gr and half Lawman 147gr ammo. I believe that may have been a mistake and caused a shift in POA/POI but will have to confirm this week. Glocks were very well represented and I believe all shooters were using some variation. An interesting note was the shooter to my right was running a G43X and S15 mags. She'd apparently run the combo very recently in another class with excellent results but incorporated 2 brand new and unmarked S15 mags into this class. She struggled with malfunctions all day seemingly unable to make it through a complete magazine without the slide failing to go completely into battery at least once. With unmarked mags it was difficult to determine if it was one particular mag causing the issue or if it was across all. The armorer onsite was unable to resolve the issue during the course of the day.

Overall I was very pleased with the class, facilities, and instructors. I am looking forward to additional future classes at Shoot Logic.