Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RFI: Thinking of switching to a Gen 5 Glock 17 and maybe a new holster

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ECVMatt View Post
    Thanks for the tip on the ALS. I have not looked at them in a while.

The Model 7377 7TS looks like it might work out. I can always keep one of my Glock Sport/Combats around if I need an impromptu CCW holster.

I ride a TW200 which is more of mule than a thoroughbred. I still don't want my gun to go flying though...

Thanks guys.
    Safariland makes a pancake version of the GLS (578 ?)

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Safariland makes a pancake version of the GLS (578 ?)
    I think you may be thinking of the Safariland 537. Availability at resellers seems limited, recently.

The company is also about to release a Safariland 637, which is the same concept but with ALS rather than GLS.

Thanks for the tip on the ALS. I have not looked at them in a while.

The Model 7377 7TS looks like it might work out. I can always keep one of my Glock Sport/Combats around if I need an impromptu CCW holster.

I ride a TW200 which is more of mule than a thoroughbred. I still don't want my gun to go flying though...

Thanks guys.
    For a few dollars more you can get the 7378 which includes both the one-piece belt loop attachment AND paddle. This paddle is sturdy and isn't coming off unless you want it to. Adjustable cant and kinda-sorta concealable under a jacket or heavy shirt.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    Thanks for all the info. I am a lefty, so that makes it a bit more complicated. I think I will look for an ALS/GLS type holster for riding and open carry and then keep a CCW holster nearby for the other stuff. That seems like a better solution that trying to compromise.

I’ve been very happy with my tenicor OWB.

https://tenicor.com/products/arx-hol...nt=29392935943

For ATV use I would also probably choose a holster with a locking device like the Safariland's.

Here is what I am looking for: OWB holster for open, field carry when I am camping, 4wheeling, and riding my motorcycle. I would prefer to use a belt of 1.75 or 1.5 that fits through normal belt loops. I am looking for comfort over concealment, but it would be nice to throw a shirt over it for CCW when I head into town. I would like it to ride close to my body and not have a locking mechanism. It needs to be secure, but not locked in place.
    However, if you don't want a locking device, the Aholster belt holster may work for you. The rubber straps will accommodate belts between 1.25" and 1.75".

https://aholster.com/belt-aholster/

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Don’t laugh:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/930129636

Glock OEM Sport and Duty Holster with thumb strap
    I did not know that existed!

Don’t laugh:

Has anyone tried the original sport/combat holster with Gen5 Glocks?
    I'm curious if they've updated the design to accommodate the wider frames and ambi slide levers.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Don’t laugh:

Not laughing at all; in my experience, Glock's Sport Duty and similiarly inexpensive Sport Combat belt slide are actually quite good holsters; however, at least with the Sport Combat, be aware that if your Glock is sporting an extended magazine release, they're no bueno.

The Sport Duty has two drain holes at the muzzle end, and a very solidly molded belt slot-but it's only available for the "standard full sized" Glocks (i.e., G17/22/31), although the compact Glocks will work in it too; unfortunately there is no larger sized one for the G20/G21; the Sport Combats are avaliable in both Standard and Large sizes, though.

An advantage of the Sport Combats is that due to the flexibility of the polymer they're composed of, they really mold and snug a Glock very effectively into your side, providing a very good low printing profile of the gun-especially for an OWB holster.

There's something to be said for these holsters-they're tough, well designed, weather impervious, and can be simply hosed off and put on a drying rack. A lot of people who should know better turn up their noses at them; in my experience, they're some of the very few low-price holsters that represent an exceptional value. Ditto for the similar single magazine pouches Glock offers.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 05-19-2020 at 05:22 PM.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    I actually have one of those! I just looked in my black hole holster box. I ordered my Gen 5 today and it should be available for pick next week some time. I am hoping to get out to the desert the day after I get my 17, so I can do some dual testing.

User Tag List