Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Thinking of switching to a Gen 5 Glock 17 and maybe a new holster

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!

RFI: Thinking of switching to a Gen 5 Glock 17 and maybe a new holster

Hello to all,

I have waited a bit for the bugs to be worked out of the Gen 5's and am probable going to pick up a 17 tomorrow. I have been running 17's since I was 21, so for about 30 years now. I obviously have lots of 17 holsters, but have not bought a new one that I have liked for several years. Recently have I bought holsters from G-Code and Tier 1 for my 43 and 48.

Here is what I am looking for: OWB holster for open, field carry when I am camping, 4wheeling, and riding my motorcycle. I would prefer to use a belt of 1.75 or 1.5 that fits through normal belt loops. I am looking for comfort over concealment, but it would be nice to throw a shirt over it for CCW when I head into town. I would like it to ride close to my body and not have a locking mechanism. It needs to be secure, but not locked in place.

Right now I am looking a the Tier 1 Spara with a double mag pouch to run off a standard instructor belt.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Matt

Matt, it sounds like a JMCK OWB #1 might interest you. If I remember correctly, the #1 is a pancake, but he's also got a # 2 as a scabbard.

https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/OWB.html

Duces

For vigorous activity, I would at least consider an ALS or GLS holster for your OWB field use.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    I like the ALS holsters and have a few of them. They are a bit bulky for what I need this holster to do. I agree though, if I am on my bike, an ALS is hard to beat. They are very secure and still quick to draw.

Thanks for the suggestion about JM. That is what I am looking for.

What about the Blackhawk Serpa?

Just kidding about that one...

Does anyone have experience with a G-Code XST RTI Kydex Holster?

This looks like it might be a good compromise.

Thanks for the responses,

Matt

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    For vigorous activity, I would at least consider an ALS or GLS holster for your OWB field use.
    This ^^^.

A Raven Perun seems pretty secure. The problem with a traditional OWB, like a straight drop Blade Tech or Comp Tac, is the butt is exposed, and if it hooks on something, your pistol is gone.

Thanks for the tip on the ALS. I have not looked at them in a while.

The Model 7377 7TS looks like it might work out. I can always keep one of my Glock Sport/Combats around if I need an impromptu CCW holster.

I ride a TW200 which is more of mule than a thoroughbred. I still don't want my gun to go flying though...

Thanks guys.

Don’t laugh:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/930129636

Glock OEM Sport and Duty Holster with thumb strap

Honestly, I'd just keep a couple holsters around, both IWB and OWB. For being outdoors like you described, especially on ATVs and stuff, I'd highly recommend an ALS. Much safer that way. Go with a paddle so it's easy on/off and you can swap to IWB when going into town. For IWB, go with something that has pull-the-dot loops or clips of some sort. Yeah, it's a bit of hassle, but not that big of a deal IMO.
    Administrator for PatRogers.org

Safariland GLS, all day.
    #RESIST

User Tag List