View Poll Results: Which concerns you more? The Virus or the reaction to the virus.

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • The COVID19 virus.

14 20.29%
  • The reaction to the virus.

55 79.71%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which concerns you more? The Virus or the reaction to the virus.

Site Supporter
    Use to do survey research and taught that. Forced choice is a legit method but the choices have to be well chosen. Is this just another version of red vs. blue?

45 vs 9?

Shotgun vs. AR?

BBI nailed it.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    yeah I don't really understand the thrust of this post. I think identifying "the response" is tricky because in general when people use this term it is to describe government actions taken in response to COVID19, specifically ordinances restricting business activity and travel.

However, I think that many folks misunderstand that "the response" also includes the voluntary changes in personal behavior made by many Americans to reduce their exposure to COVID19, which almost certainly will remain in place when government ordinances expire. I think that these changes in behavior - particularly if we lose confidence in our government's ability to control the virus and/or become even more fearful personal threat posed by the disease - will be much more harmful to economic activity than anything that has been done by local and state governments.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    yeah I don't really understand the thrust of this post.
    So that the OP could say this:

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Honestly, I’m pleasantly surprised that so few are more concerned by the virus. I wasn’t looking to show that, but I was hoping to see that.
    He framed the question in such a way to get the answer he desired, got it, and is happy with it.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

As has already been posted by several members, option B covers practically every concern. If someone thinks that the lockdowns weren’t severe enough, the consequences for violating the lock downs and mask orders weren’t severe enough, and people still had too much freedom, they’d have to pick option B. That’s the opposite of what the OP wants to convey but it would still be the appropriate pick. I’m choosing not to vote because of the poorly constructed poll.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Decades ago, as a much younger man, I once said, as part of a bigger philosophical conversation, "Rigid dualities are for people who are too stupid to think of three things at once, and too lazy to concentrate on one."

A good friend reminded me of that moment recently, and I have to say, it is still the thing that surprises me and concerns me the most in the thought processes of nearly all human beings, otherwise intelligent or not. We just really love to have clear cut binary thinking, when even a basic examination of complex systems of any type reveals that the universe itself doesn't work that way. I feel like the popularization of the metaphor of mind or reality as a computation has further led to even more reductive binary modeling.

The Virus

The “reaction” is just the collective of human beings being human beings. The big issue is COVID in 2020, and it will be something else next year, or thereabout.

The Texas governor seems to be reasonably level-headed, overall, but the elected officials in DC, regardless of party, who are making noises, are making stupid noises. I do specifically include the noisemaker-in-chief, in this. Nothing new, there.

So, yes, my concern is the virus, itself.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    So that the OP could say this:

He framed the question in such a way to get the answer he desired, got it, and is happy with it.

Not true.

I did a poor job of wording, but your statement is half wrong.

You are correct that I am happy. Not so much happy as pleasantly surprised.

Response meant- lock down, people accepting giving up liberties, economic issue and the like. Response was the wrong term to use.

As I have stated before, COVID19 is killing lots of folks and maiming numerous others in many age groups. If anything the numbers are under-reported. Two of our kids are working in hospitals in the north east--the healthcare system is crushed and overloaded there, with insufficient PPE to safeguard providers, and thousands of miserable deaths. This is NOT business as usual. Anyone that does not understand this is highly ignorant and deceived, much like Neville Chamberlain.

Because of early shelter-in-place and fairly strict social distancing in Northern California, our hospitals have not been as hard hit as the East Coast, yet we are still strained and under resourced, especially for PPE. And yes, we are still working, as trauma, infection, and cancer have not stopped just because SARS-CoV-2 is around.

Name:  GKR surg.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  40.7 KB

And yes, the economic cost has been immense and could be far better managed--starting with retrospectively idiotic decisions decades ago to send so many key manufacturing industries overseas and not retaining a critical base in the US, ending with the need for more nuanced rules governing COVID19 business shut-down since different geographic areas and businesses types have different needs/risks and the response should be much more individualized.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    As I have stated before, COVID19 is killing lots of folks and maiming numerous others in many age groups. If anything the numbers are under-reported. Two of our kids are working in hospitals in the north east--the healthcare system is crushed and overloaded there, with insufficient PPE to safeguard providers, and thousands of miserable deaths. This is NOT business as usual. Anyone that does not understand this is highly ignorant and deceived, much like Neville Chamberlain.

Because of early shelter-in-place and fairly strict social distancing in Northern California, our hospitals have not been as hard hit as the East Coast, yet we are still strained and under resourced, especially for PPE. And yes, we are still working, as trauma, infection, and cancer have not stopped just because SARS-CoV-2 is around.

Name:  GKR surg.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  40.7 KB

And yes, the economic cost has been immense and could be far better managed--starting with retrospectively idiotic decisions decades ago to send so many key manufacturing industries overseas and not retaining a critical base in the US, ending with the need for more nuanced rules governing COVID19 business shut-down since different geographic areas and businesses types have different needs/risks and the response should be much more individualized.

In no way is the business as usual. That we agree on.

You are right the different areas have different needs and therefore should be treated based on those needs.

Nothing so far has convinced me that the virus is more of a threat than the response/lockdown. It’s possible I could be wrong. Numerous, well informed, people are on both sides of the issue.

I think the thread has done all it can do. You can leave it open or lock it. We have plenty of threads where we can discuss the issue.

A well done poll would be interesting, but I’m not sure this is it. Certainly I have some blame in that.

I think it depends on your financial situation and your age.

For me it doesn't concern me financially but the fact I'm in a high risk age group I have to be concerned about the virus.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List