Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ZT 0350: It's Great. Is there anything better?

ZT 0350: It's Great. Is there anything better?

So, for the last several years, I've carried a ZT350. It's easy to handle, stays closed point-down when in my pocket, opens easily, is a good average size, isn't too tactical to use, and can be used as a pry-bar when required. The mechanical action is smooth and the stainless steel has resisted the elements well. It's the Glock of knives. It's not sexy, but it's perfect.

But now I lost mine.

I'm likely to just buy another one, but.... I find myself wondering if there's anything more perfect out there.

Any other folding knife I should be considering? Requirements:

1. Not an auto, but assisted opening is OK. Un-assisted is also OK, so long as we're talking one-handed opening. "Wave" is not OK in my state.
    2. Cost isn't an issue but I should be reasonably able to replace it if it ends up in a lake.
    3. It's going to be used and occasionally misused. I had a Benchmade once with a little itty-bitty blade profile. No.
    4. Blade down. I have a super nice Chris Reeve's Sebenza that would be my favorite knife, except I've stabbed myself reaching for it like 4 times.

Choosing a knife is so personal, but I'm not a fan of assisted opening. Modern knives are so fast out of the pocket...why bother? Just my opinion. Not looking to chap or argue.

I have four ZT's total. 0550, 0551, 0456 and 0562CF. I like them all, but the 0550 is still my sentimental favorite.

I don't mind tip up or tip down. Have been stuck once or twice, even with custom knives.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I'm not that attached to assisted opening, either. The Spydero Paramilitary 2 is a possibility; similar sized blade, G10, good steel.

I like the look of the ZT 0550 but I guess it's not that easy to find anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    I'm not that attached to assisted opening, either. The Spydero Paramilitary 2 is a possibility; similar sized blade, G10, good steel.

I like the look of the ZT 0550 but I guess it's not that easy to find anymore?
    I guess not. I was gifted mine, (and the 0551) by Thomas Welk of ZT knives. It was a very generous thing for him to do, and I'll always be appreciative.

(I think they were returns that couldn't be resold, but there was nothing wrong with them, imho, and I have the 0551 for a backup in case the 0550 goes tits up or gets lost.)

I have six PM2s, way more than I need. Don't really know why I ended up with that many, it was just an addiction to various high end steels for the most part.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Para 2. Carries tip up or down. Lots of options for steel and handle.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

ZT452CF is my current favorite. Internet image.

Name:  5D546AEF-7C6C-4DF6-849A-CF46C8E5E31C.jpeg
Views: 515
Size:  49.1 KB
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

The already mentioned Spyderco PM2's are great knives. I've had one since 2013 and I like it a lot.

I recently picked up a Benchmade 560bk-1 with black-coated CPM-M4 steel that I absolutely love. The Axis lock is fast & smooth. The knife is very well made and has a bigger blade than the PM2. It's a fairly new product. The CPM-M4 is a type of tool steel that has a chrome content but is not considered stainless, so you may not want it if you work anywhere near saltwater.
    “Safety is nice, but it’s not first. Life is first and it’s not safe.”— Jeff Cooper

There are tons of great folders on the market right now. Keeping tip down clip in mind, what else is important to you? Lock type, size, choil, no choil, etc.

I'm very biased towards Spyderco, but check out the Spyderco Manix 2 for a hard use replacement of your 350. The two knives have very similar specs (size and weight) when considering the regular Manix 2 with G-10 handle scales and steel liners. You will not be disappointed!

I have a ZT 350 and I have to say I'm not a fan for an EDC. Too big and heavy in the pocket, I'm also not big on flippers or assisted openers. The PM2 is a great knife but not if you are going to pry with it.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

User Tag List