Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finished the action job on my Marlin 1894cs .357

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    The 1894 I bought in .44 magnum runs .44 special just fine after I fixed the broken carrier.
    3/15/2016

So I went ahead and radiused my hammer on my Marlin 1894 .357 mag. Not having the recommended tools, I used my Dremil tool. I left the hammer on the rifle while shaping it, covering the opening behind the bolt with a rag to prevent shavings from falling in. Using a sanding drum bit I took a little bit off at a time. Each time I would cycle the action slowly and carefully observe how the little knob on the bottom of the bolt was interacting with the hammer. Once I got it “just right” I polished it with Flitz metal polio’s and a felt wheel. I came out better than I had hoped!

I also chamfered the chamber mouth using this countersink I picked up at Home Depot: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-Sp...CS72/205472330

The only reasons I used this one was it was cheap, readily available locally and I could use a 1/4 socket and a ratchet extension. I turned it buy hand until I had the chamfer I wanted then polished with Flitz and a felt wheel. This was a 5 fluted counter sink. I think a 6 flute might work a little better with less chatter but it did the job. It now chambers all the bullet styles I have tried with no hangups.
    Last edited by 4given; 06-22-2020 at 08:46 AM.

With the work you have done to it, it sounds like it is going to have a great action and be a very fun little all around gun.

Are you guys doing this on new production Remington-Marlin 1894s, or the older ones that I am told are better-made?
    Join FPC

Quote Originally Posted by ScotchMan View Post
    Are you guys doing this on new production Remington-Marlin 1894s, or the older ones that I am told are better-made?
    Mine is a pre-Remington JM marked Marlin made in 1995. A lot of guys are making the same mods to the current Remington made 1894s except chamfering the chamber mouth. The new production comes with a nice tapered chamber mouth I am told.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    With the work you have done to it, it sounds like it is going to have a great action and be a very fun little all around gun.
    It's a ton of fun and it has been fun working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    Mine is a pre-Remington JM marked Marlin made in 1995. A lot of guys are making the same mods to the current Remington made 1894s except chamfering the chamber mouth. The new production comes with a nice tapered chamber mouth I am told.
    Ok, I have a newer one and I have basically written it off as trade-in fodder for when I finally go out and get a Henry, but if I am jumping the gun on that assessment that would be interesting to know.
    Join FPC

Ok, I have a newer one and I have basically written it off as trade-in fodder for when I finally go out and get a Henry, but if I am jumping the gun on that assessment that would be interesting to know.
    Lester Polfus has a newer one and he likes his a lot! I hear that the ones the have been making lately are decent quality. Anything wrong with yours?

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    Lester Polfus has a newer one and he likes his a lot! I hear that the ones the have been making lately are decent quality. Anything wrong with yours?
    Mine is at least 5 years old, but nothing is hugely wrong with it. The fit and finish isn't great, like the stock doesn't line up nicely with the receiver and things like that, but nothing that affects functionality. It is a more difficult to load, and has rough edges that get to your thumbs after a while, and the action isn't nearly as nice as a Henry, things like that. I have no idea if the pre-Remington Marlins are better, I have never seen one, just read Internet gospel on the topic.
    Join FPC

Mine is at least 5 years old, but nothing is hugely wrong with it. The fit and finish isn't great, like the stock doesn't line up nicely with the receiver and things like that, but nothing that affects functionality. It is a more difficult to load, and has rough edges that get to your thumbs after a while, and the action isn't nearly as nice as a Henry, things like that. I have no idea if the pre-Remington Marlins are better, I have never seen one, just read Internet gospel on the topic.
    My 2019 1894c is Ok on fit and finish and 100% on function. If I want an heirloom, I'll buy something else. Mine is a great tool.

If yours is hard to load, check the length of the recoil spring. Mine was way too long.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List