Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The PT-92 thread

The PT-92 thread

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    My first centerfire pistol, as well as ToddG's, was a PT99AF. It worked fine but I traded it off to a guy for a Gold Cup because the magazine ban had just happened and he wanted the high cap mags.
    Poor Seconds got burned, obviously. 😉

Name:  418b49(2).jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  46.8 KB

My own joke that got the response above by SC.

I think I might be going back to the first centerfire pistol in my family. Why not? It shoots great, 30+ years of reliability, plenty of holsters, and the safety is in the right place. All it really gives up to a Beretta is finsh and a rougher DA trigger.

My question: what parts DON'T interchange with M92 parts? I doubt I will fill this sucker up with Langdon upgrades, but it would be good to know what I can swap out, especially as the gun closes in on 40 years.

I plan to replace all the springs in the gun in the not too distant future. Debating about new springs for the old mags, but I feel like buying new 17 rounders might make more sense, as I only have one.

Another question: should I preemptively replace the locking block? It seems fine. Gun is at 3000-5000 rounds, approximately. Bought used in 1988.

For a nightstand/carry gun, anything else I should be thinking about? No, I don't have money for a new M92 right now, although I would love a 92c! ($499.99 new at LNGS before the COOVID curse struck, underpriced IMO)
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    I would definitely replace the locking block. As far as parts compatibility otherwise I have no clue.

I'd laugh until I died if there was a PT-92 somewhere in the Langdon home that had been worked over by the man himself. [emoji23]

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    Poor Seconds got burned, obviously. 😉

Name:  418b49(2).jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  46.8 KB

My own joke that got the response above by SC.

I think I might be going back to the first centerfire pistol in my family. Why not? It shoots great, 30+ years of reliability, plenty of holsters, and the safety is in the right place. All it really gives up to a Beretta is finsh and a rougher DA trigger.

My question: what parts DON'T interchange with M92 parts? I doubt I will fill this sucker up with Langdon upgrades, but it would be good to know what I can swap out, especially as the gun closes in on 40 years.

I plan to replace all the springs in the gun in the not too distant future. Debating about new springs for the old mags, but I feel like buying new 17 rounders might make more sense, as I only have one.

Another question: should I preemptively replace the locking block? It seems fine. Gun is at 3000-5000 rounds, approximately. Bought used in 1988.

For a nightstand/carry gun, anything else I should be thinking about? No, I don't have money for a new M92 right now, although I would love a 92c! ($499.99 new at LNGS before the COOVID curse struck, underpriced IMO)
    My first centerfiee Handgun was a Taurus PT-99. I had read multiple articles and gun magazines claiming the Taurus was just as good as a Beretta 92. I was already a little suspicious of guns and ammo but I believed an article in combat handguns by some guy named Ken Hackathorn who was supposed to be legit. At the time a Taurus was about $330 and a Beretta 92 was somewhere between $550 and $600.

I got rid of it after three major issues in less than 3,000 rounds. Two blown out extractors and a broken locking block. I sent it back to Taurus for repair twice and the third time had the extractor place locally before I got rid of it.

I figured it was a fluke and picked up a tourist model 85 38 special five shot revolver. That had an issue with the screw that held the cylinder and crane into the frame which Taurus was unable to properly fix it. The issue recurred several times and they refused to replace it. Sold it cheap with disclosure.

Following these experiences I warned my cousin who was getting into handgun shooting against buying a Taurus. So of course he bought a Taurus PT 99 with a silver (nickel ?) finish. He also had multiple issues which required multiple trips back to Taurus. The last one was a locking block that broke in such a way that we were not able to get the slide open or get the slide off the gun. Taurus replace that gun But that created another issue because he was living in New York at the time where your handguns are listed by serial number on your handgun permit and they shipped the replacement directly to his house. It took several weeks to get this issue and the disposition of the original fire him taken care of to the satisfaction of the local police departments pistol license office.

I’ve had no such issues in nearly 30 years of owning the Italian made Beretta 92F that replaced my Taurus 99.

I’ve used Taurus parts in a few of my Berettas. I actually prefer the trigger shape to what Beretta uses.

Beretta’s Gen3 locking block is a good upgrade. The newer trigger spring is a good upgrade. A lighter hammer spring will make a HUGE difference. Taurus uses a 1 piece firing pin, so you should be fine with a much lighter one.

Site Supporter
    My first centerfire semiauto pistol was a Taurus 99. I didn’t shoot it a lot but I never had a problem with it. I bought it because it was half the price of a beretta 92. I wish I still had it. Now that I think about it I turned 21 in 1988 and I bought a 4” S&W 686 CS-1 .357 magnum, a Ruger MKll 5.5” bull barrel .22lr , a 6” S&W 17 .22LR ( and case of 5000 rds of .22LR to go with it) to go with that Taurus. I bought an alessi holster for the Taurus and I thought I was set. What did I not do? I wrote to Fuzzy Farrant for his order sheet but did not buy his grips. I passed on a S&W 3” 686 CS-1 and a 3” S&W 64 NY-1.

I was going to post a picture of my notes taken during a training course with Mr Langdon. He talks about guns in general and how most mass produced semis are good to go. Except the PT92, he had some not so positive opinions about it. I thought it was funny I wrote down the quote. But nah decided against posting the picture, plus my average shooting is exponentially better than my handwriting.

Quote Originally Posted by learnerpermitted View Post
    I was going to post a picture of my notes taken during a training course with Mr Langdon. He talks about guns in general and how most mass produced semis are good to go. Except the PT92, he had some not so positive opinions about it. I thought it was funny I wrote down the quote. But nah decided against posting the picture, plus my average shooting is exponentially better than my handwriting.
    Ok what was the quote
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Yes, you should replace the locking block. In fact, you should do yourself a favor and order one that comes with a Beretta 92 attached to it.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Yes, you should replace the locking block. In fact, you should do yourself a favor and order one that comes with a Beretta 92 attached to it.
    I am deceased.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Unless you need a nice box, there is only one reason to purchase a Taurus.
    https://www.taurususa.com/company/team-taurus/

User Tag List