Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beretta M9 / 92 grip screw broken

Beretta M9 / 92 grip screw broken

I have an unfired Beretta M9 that I was changing lasergrip batteries in. The upper grip screws are a tight fit, and the head of one broke off. Since it is in pristine condition, I'd prefer to keep it that way. Any solution in mind that will remove the screw without removing the bushing as it is staked in rather well? It is not loose enough to superglue an item to the protruding top of screw and twist out. This is apparently a common problem.
    Name:  DSC01030b.jpg
Views: 1139
Size:  24.4 KBName:  DSC01026b.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  87.1 KBName:  DSC01028b.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  78.5 KB

Do you have a screw extractor kit? My M9 has the holes that run all the way into the mag well, if you can get it to turn you might be able to A: run it out from the back side or B: run it all the way through into the mag well.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Ah yes, I’ve had that happen to me on a new 92FS as well. I sent it back to Beretta and they fixed it up free of charge. I’d recommend doing the same.

Back it out with a little bitty chisel and hammer.

It's not bottomed out against anything so there's no tension on it.

And quit using Allen head screws.

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Ah yes, I’ve had that happen to me on a new 92FS as well. I sent it back to Beretta and they fixed it up free of charge. I’d recommend doing the same.
    Yes, I would have sent it in now, if it were not for the Beretta service facilities all in shut-down at this time.

Tight thread fit

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    Back it out with a little bitty chisel and hammer.

It's not bottomed out against anything so there's no tension on it.

And quit using Allen head screws.
    Apparently, the bushing thread was slightly deformed after it was staked at the factory, since only the upper bushings are staked, and they are the ones that thread tightly. I agree regarding hex-head screws.

Extractor Kit

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Do you have a screw extractor kit? My M9 has the holes that run all the way into the mag well, if you can get it to turn you might be able to A: run it out from the back side or B: run it all the way through into the mag well.
    Thank you. I haven't had an extractor kit in a while. Great idea. Where did you get yours, and name of manufacturer?

Quote Originally Posted by treeline1a View Post
    Thank you. I haven't had an extractor kit in a while. Great idea. Where did you get yours, and name of manufacturer?
    I've had mine forever. I went out to the work truck to get a manufacturer and kit model number and...umm...I seemed to have misplaced it. I'll dig around tomorrow and see if I can find it.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

I wonder if theres enough room for a dremel cutoff wheel to turn that broken shaft into a flathead and drive it through.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I wonder if theres enough room for a dremel cutoff wheel to turn that broken shaft into a flathead and drive it through.
    That’s what I’m thinking or an X-acto saw.

User Tag List