Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Defensive Ammo Choice for Short Barrel 9mm (Glock 43/Sig P365)

Seemingly good ammo to avoid in a 3" pistol:

Hornady Critical Duty 135
    Speer Gold Dot G2 147
    Federal HST micro 150

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    I would not be overly concerned about a .33" difference in barrel length between a G26 and a P365.
    The 0.43" difference between a G26 and a Sig 938 is enough to make Critical Duty expand after passing through denim

It is entirely personal and not intended to denigrate anyone else's choice, but leaving aside the ever-popular bear ammo question, or when performance after penetrating auto glass is important, my answer to just about any 9mm ammo choice question in any pistol barrel length is standard velocity 147 gr HST, Gold Dot or Ranger, depending on price, availability, performance/accuracy in a particular gun. I guess G2 is in that group, too.

I enjoy playing around with other brands, weights, etc., but the ones above are what I rely on if I have any choice in the matter. Okay, I admit that had a brief affair with some 135 gr +p, and still think about it from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Following.

Shootin’ Partners P365 is loaded with Speer Gold Dot 115 standard pressure at the moment for reasons I can’t recall right this second.
    It took me a second to find it, but this thread below is how I came onto selecting the GD115s for the P365:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ths-with-a-G48

I'm starting to shoot through my new P365XL and have only a very minor sample of ammo through it so far (140 rounds, no issues. Mixed ammo, including some 147 HST). If the 147 HST runs in the P365XL, I will be happy because I have a few boxes put by.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    In my G26, essentially same length barrel as G43, I use HST 147 (standard pressure), or HST 124 +P, or Gold Dot 124 (standard pressure) all with good results. My preference is the 147 as I felt the gun gave slightly better accuracy in my hands.
    Pretty much the same for me; 147 HST shoots very well in pretty much ever 9mm that I own. For the ones that it doesn't love it, I either use the 124 HST or the 124 +P Gold Dot. Whatever each guns likes best. Can't go wrong with any of those loads.

A big agency here had several very unsatisfactory results with 147 Gold Dot (ETA: the ORIGINAL Gold Dot, not the G2 version. No info on that load.) out of the 26/43 platform, so I would stay away from that combo. They switched to the 127 +P+ Ranger and have been much happier with that.
    Last edited by revolvergeek; 05-28-2020 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by revolvergeek View Post
    Pretty much the same for me; 147 HST shoots very well in pretty much ever 9mm that I own. For the ones that it doesn't love it, I either use the 124 HST or the 124 +P Gold Dot. Whatever each guns likes best. Can't go wrong with any of those loads.

A big agency here had several very unsatisfactory results with 147 Gold Dot (ETA: the ORIGINAL Gold Dot, not the G2 version. No info on that load.) out of the 26/43 platform, so I would stay away from that combo. They switched to the 127 +P+ Ranger and have been much happier with that.
    Unsatisfactory based on feeding and reliability or based on measured terminal ballistics?

My trio is 147 HST standard, 124 Gold Dot standard, and 124 +P HST. I've got much more of the 147 HST than the others, but I'd feel okay with any of the three in my G26, 19 or 17.
    Last edited by blues; 05-28-2020 at 11:45 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by tlong17I View Post
    Unsatisfactory based on feeding and reliability or based on measured terminal ballistics?
    Terminal ballistics in real world applications a couple years back; one of their instructors told me they were not happy with lack of expansion after heavy clothing (as expected) but also had instances of significant under-penetration after heavy clothing (not expected). Also not happy with performance against cars (they shoot up a lot of junkers testing ammo a the range). They had been satisfied with it out off full sized guns, but didn't want to have to keep up with different loads based on different barrel lengths.

Terminal ballistics in real world applications a couple years back; one of their instructors told me they were not happy with lack of expansion after heavy clothing (as expected) but also had instances of significant under-penetration after heavy clothing (not expected). Also not happy with performance against cars (they shoot up a lot of junkers testing ammo a the range). They had been satisfied with it out off full sized guns, but didn't want to have to keep up with different loads based on different barrel lengths.
    Gotcha, thanks for the reply. It will be interesting to see if more scientific and proper testing will be done out of shorter barrels with the 147 HST. Although, I'm certainly not holding by breath since 4" barrels are more the norm for duty pistols and thus are the ones tested.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Yes--good 147 gr barrier blind loads to all copper 115's are the best 9 mm loads.
    I’ve read DocGKR posts for years, and he has done the work/research, has the experience and is also a shooting practitioner.
    I am compelled to note that another component (and there are many) is how competently one can shoot whatever load one is carrying. There is a “bit” of difference between a 115 gr. “practice” load and heavier bullets, +P, +P+, etc. It’s one redone why many(majority?) LE agencies “qualify” w/a duty load or equivalent. I do my best to verify what load(s) I am carrying, on accuracy and time evaluations. The practice loads help, as does dry fire also.
    I don’t believe you have to shoot 1000 rounds to verify-our Fed LE has done that in almost every case(our tax dollars at work).
    Get some ammo delineated by DocGKR and run a few Drill(s)of the week. I’d suggest include some one handed shooting and a bit of distance with time pressure. I like the Wizard, Givens/Farnam “3M” and the Super Test; but even a local PD/State Qual or current FBI would be good. It won’t matter too much if one can’t adequately “service the target(s)”.
    FWIW, I currently have +P 125 9x19 Hornady in the G26 on my ankle, 135+P in Gen519MOS in the holster. I’m comfortable w/147 loads also...

As a data point how many unsatisfactory shootings versus satisfactory shootings....... and what is the definition of a satisfactory shooting?

And when they switched to the 127 how many satisfactory shootings did they have?

User Tag List