Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Defensive Ammo Choice for Short Barrel 9mm (Glock 43/Sig P365)

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    That 115 Barnes TAC XP is a great bullet. It may be helpful to note that Barnes loading is rather light and can be near the functional threshold of some guns. Quite accurate though. The BHA loading has the next most "oomph", and is the the most accurate. When Corbon loaded the actual Barnes bullet in its DPX line, they had the most oomph and least (but acceptable) accuracy of the three.
    Yeah when I shoot the Barnes loading out of a full sized 1911, it feels like you could take a sip of coffee while waiting for the slide to cycle. Ok, i exaggerate a bit, but it's noticeably slower cycling. Never had a stoppage though.

Black Hills and ASYM, are significantly faster. Never tried any other companies' loadings.

I'd love to see someone perform ballistic testing on all of the makes and compare.

Another duffer's $.02:

Since consistent accuracy and adequate precision are of paramount importance to me in a round employed for CCW, my choice is Federal HST 124gr (not the +P type) in my all-day, every day CCW gen 5 G26.

Data for penetration and expansion seem to be good too, but remain of more theoretic concern to me.
    I want to be certain my bullets go where I mean them to go, and the HST 124gr meets that standard, in my hands.

(And since, as a result, I bought a case of it, I'm not changing to something else, no matter what any YouTube vid says. )
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc5n_JsY3aw

And the answer is..Sorry... no spoilers!
    Thanks for sharing. Good info in there.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

"I'm not changing to something else, no matter what any YouTube vid says."
    There is NO reason to change to something else (see post #8 above), nor does the specific YouTube video in question suggest a person to change.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Just a data point...tried the 365 today with standard pressure HST 147, avg velocity of 10 rounds was 967. Interesting that the first shot out of a cold bore was the fastest at 987. That was testing with a prochrono at 10'. I will update this with a slightly longer barrel(threaded muzzle only) to see the difference.

So standard pressure 124 HST out of a P365 is good to go?

Quote Originally Posted by Dcowboyscr View Post
    So standard pressure 124 HST out of a P365 is good to go?
    Go back and review the comments in this thread by DocGKR

Absent evidence to the contrary in "your" gun, it's a fine round that performs adequately. (I have discussed this very round in years past with the good doctor, in regard to Glocks, the smallest of which I own is a G26)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Go back and review the comments in this thread by DocGKR

Absent evidence to the contrary in "your" gun, it's a fine round that performs adequately. (I have discussed this very round in years past with the good doctor, in regard to Glocks, the smallest of which I own is a G26)
    Yes, I read DOCGKR’s comments thanks. What I’m asking is from a performance standard in a short barreled gun like my P365 do they perform adequately. I’m currently in the process of verifying reliability in my particular sample of P365. I know they are a recomended load, in full size and compact pistols. I’m asking specifically about velocity, penetration and expansion performance from a P365 length barrel. And would there be any practical performance difference between a G26 3.5 barrel and a P365 conventionally rifled 3.1 inch barrel. I’d imagine not but I
    Just wanted to be sure.
    Last edited by Dcowboyscr; 05-27-2020 at 04:50 PM.

would there be any practical performance difference between a G26 3.5 barrel and a P365 conventionally rifled 3.1 inch barrel. I’d imagine not but I Just wanted to be sure.
    Powder choice will affect this (slower-burning powders will gain and lose more velocity based on barrel length changes than faster ones), so it's REALLY hard to make very accurate predictions, but I can say that using VV N320 to push a 124 grain JHP, I saw an increase of 40-50 FPS going from a 3.5" barrel to a 4.0" barrel. That makes me think that unless the 3.5" gun was already on the ragged edge of producing just barely enough velocity for the bullet to perform properly, then the load you use in your G26 is probably also going to work fine out of the P365, as you're probably not losing much more than 50 FPS. I suppose the only way to be 100% completely certain would be to mix up some gel, set up a chronograph, and do your own testing, but my non-expert opinion is that you're likely fine.

Yes, I read DOCGKR’s comments thanks. What I’m asking is from a performance standard in a short barreled gun like my P365 do they perform adequately. I’m currently in the process of verifying reliability in my particular sample of P365. I know they are a recomended load, in full size and compact pistols. I’m asking specifically about velocity, penetration and expansion performance from a P365 length barrel. And would there be any practical performance difference between a G26 3.5 barrel and a P365 conventionally rifled 3.1 inch barrel. I’d imagine not but I
    Just wanted to be sure.
    I would not be overly concerned about a .33" difference in barrel length between a G26 and a P365.

User Tag List