Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Defensive Ammo Choice for Short Barrel 9mm (Glock 43/Sig P365)

Defensive Ammo Choice for Short Barrel 9mm (Glock 43/Sig P365)

What are the most recommended loads for these guns? Is it still Gold Dot or HST? In what weight? Is the Micro HST really better than regular?
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    What are the most recommended loads for these guns? Is it still Gold Dot or HST? In what weight? Is the Micro HST really better than regular?
    In my G26, essentially same length barrel as G43, I use HST 147 (standard pressure), or HST 124 +P, or Gold Dot 124 (standard pressure) all with good results. My preference is the 147 as I felt the gun gave slightly better accuracy in my hands.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I know when I asked awhile back DocGKR said the 147gr HST tested to spec out of the Shield.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

In one of the longer threads on the topic, there are a few comments, one from DocGKR, about the 147 HST performing as well out of 3" barrels as it does 4".

Following.

Shootin’ Partners P365 is loaded with Speer Gold Dot 115 standard pressure at the moment for reasons I can’t recall right this second.

My understanding from past reading is that loads with heavier bullets tend to lose less performance out of shorter barrels than loads with lighter bullets do.

I personally use Hornady Critical Duty 135 grain (standard pressure) as my carry load in my P99c (3.5" barrel). At one point, I even chronographed it, and even out of a 3.5" barrel, it was delivering slightly *higher* than advertised velocity on average, with a single digit standard deviation, so I'm quite confident that it will perform as designed out of that gun should the need ever arise. Given that a G43's barrel is only 0.11" shorter, it probably doesn't lose much velocity/performance there.

Tagged for interest as I have heard everything from heavy 147s to Barnes 115s as being the best.

As noted previously:

What shoots accurately out of your handgun (ex. 25 yds slow fire on B8 with at least 90 pts, preferably above 95 pts)?

What shoots reliably out of your handgun (eg. no ammo related malfunctions over at least 2000 rds)?

What can you purchase in adequate quantity for your needs (like 1000-2500 round minimums)?

What offers adequate terminal performance for your needs (ie. meets FBI, IWBA, or equivalent testing)?

Then pick that load and stop worrying about ammo....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

"Tagged for interest as I have heard everything from heavy 147s to Barnes 115s as being the best."
    Yes--good 147 gr barrier blind loads to all copper 115's are the best 9 mm loads.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

A lot of discussion was had about ammo in these small pistols in another thread. With my 365 it doesn’t function reliably with 147 grain bullets so I switched to the Barnes 115 off of docs list. A lot of people were having issues with 147 grain being reliable, you can do a search and find the thread on it.

User Tag List