Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal Syntech 9mm- Issues?

Federal Syntech 9mm- Issues?

I was looking at the Federal Syntech ammo as an option for practice, and I was wondering if it was any good?

I believe I remember reading about the possibility of erosion from lead free primers- is that still a thing?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I was looking at the Federal Syntech ammo as an option for practice, and I was wondering if it was any good?

I believe I remember reading about the possibility of erosion from lead free primers- is that still a thing?
    I can only comment from my own personal experience.

I've probably shot over 50k rounds of Syntech without any visible erosion. Of note, the "catalyst" primer that Federal uses is a little different in composition than the old school lead free primers. It's also super soft of a primer... even softer than the standard Federal primers and lights off in revolvers that fail other rounds.

Last year Federal replaced 2500 rounds of 150 grain Syntech with other ammo of my choice due to keyholing from several Shadows I have. Subjective perceptions aside, I never detected measurable improvement in results over anything else I used in matches and practice. I decided to never use it again.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Last year Federal replaced 2500 rounds of 150 grain Syntech with other ammo of my choice due to keyholing from several Shadows I have. Subjective perceptions aside, I never detected measurable improvement in results over anything else I used in matches and practice. I decided to never use it again.
    At last year’s state match the 150 Syntech I shot from a VP9L (5” bbl) chronoed 142PF, 23rd in overall power factor in a field of 250 shooters, so the juice was hardly worth the squeeze.

The much cheaper, cleaner and more accurate Norma 124 I normally run comes in at about 137PF.

I have shot tens of thousands of this ammo (150 9mm) without issue. It is remarkably soft shooting for its power factor. In a steel gun that probably doesn't matter but in a light polymer pistol it may.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    You have to tune a gun to specific ammo to get the most out of it.

The 150 gamer ammo is magic if you have a good setup.

Far superior to anything else.

It makes ft*lb energy like a 380 ACP but still makes power factor due to the way it’s calculated.

Yeah, it is a multivariable analysis with the Shadows. Do I use a 10, +/- 1, lbs recoil spring or do I use something else. I myself just don't care enough as long as my doubles look acceptable. I am pretty sure that my three matches of this year have been shot with three different loads.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have shot tens of thousands of this ammo (150 9mm) without issue. It is remarkably soft shooting for its power factor. In a steel gun that probably doesn't matter but in a light polymer pistol it may.
    Same, I bought several thousand 150gr when Covid kicked off and liked it so much I've bought more.

I can't really say it's "better" but 80% of my shooting is on steel targets, and I've caught a few jackets in the face and arms. Don't have that with Syntech. If I was taking a class with all paper targets I probably wouldn't care.
    Last edited by Darth_Uno; 04-05-2023 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A very good option to introduce recoil sensitive shooters with.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Qualification

We should also probably qualify what version of Syntech we are talking about.

I have 115, 124 and “train and defend” 124 and some of it is loaded fairly solidly.

Big difference from the 130 and 150gr gamer versions.

User Tag List