Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Defensive Ammo Choice for Short Barrel 9mm (Glock 43/Sig P365)

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I tried it in my two P99Cs and had the same result. The 124-grain HST spun freely.

I wouldn't get too spun up about this. As long as it runs in your carry gun, it should be good to go.
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm not super worried about it since it drops all the way in and out without a problem. I'm just used to sending handloads back through the seat/crimp die if they won't spin, and then putting them in the reject pile if they still won't spin after that, so I was curious to hear your experience. Given that it would seem that your P99cs behave basically the same way with 147 HST and runs it fine in them, I'll at least run a few mags through the 'c' and the full size and expect it to be fine. Trust but verify and all that.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_L View Post
    Are you having reliability problems with 147 HST in them?
    Personally? No. I have had a couple issues in the G43s with aftermarket base plates, but no issues with ball or JHP with stock magazines.

Question

Apologies for resurrecting this thread.

I have 124 grain HST (standard pressure) and 135 Critical Duty +P on hand as that's what I've loaded in my Glocks. With a SIG P365's 3.1" barrel, is either load likely to still expand even just a little?

My thinking is that the short tube might not provide enough velocity for either load to expand. I'm ok with carrying FMJ if a JHP won't expand out of such a short barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by CarloMNL View Post

I have 124 grain HST (standard pressure) and 135 Critical Duty +P on hand as that's what I've loaded in my Glocks. With a SIG P365's 3.1" barrel, is either load likely to still expand even just a little?

My thinking is that the short tube might not provide enough velocity for either load to expand. I'm ok with carrying FMJ if a JHP won't expand out of such a short barrel.
    Yes. I’d rock the 124gr HST without hesitation.

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    Yes. I’d rock the 124gr HST without hesitation.
    Thanks GAP. I should have my P365 in hand by Friday. I'll be sure to run a few rounds of HST when I shoot it over the weekend.

The NYPD has used the 124+p GD in the Sig 365 and the S$W shield the round has worked as advertised in numerous shooting. I have done a ton of shooting reviews in which the GD was used never seen one not work as advertised.

Quote Originally Posted by Detmongo View Post
    The NYPD has used the 124+p GD in the Sig 365 and the S$W shield the round has worked as advertised in numerous shooting. I have done a ton of shooting reviews in which the GD was used never seen one not work as advertised.
    ICE is also using 124 +p GD. The P365 is one of the more popular approved personally owned guns and all approved guns had to pass testing with the duty ammo. Obviously a much smaller agency that gets into fewer shootings than NYPD, but it’s still a lot of guns in the field.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Timely bump. I recently changed to 124gr standard pressure HST for defensive use in all of my 9s including short barrels, it seems to be the most available option for me now that I can afford. Changes cost a *lot* in reliability testing, so I avoid them.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

You might want go through the play list linked below. It's a series of 9mm ammo tests done with a SIG P938. I think that gun has the same 3.1" barrel. It's surprising how well a lot of the loadings tested did with it.

I don't know if the testing rises to the level of scientific rigorousness that DocGKR would approve of. But sometimes you need to work with what's available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA7F...DMgd-w4Yozc27i

Quote Originally Posted by CarloMNL View Post

A large federal agency that allows the Glock 43 as a personally owned weapon specifically recommends the Hornady Critical Duty 135+P for that firearm and notes it provides the best terminal ballistics available from the short barrel. If you have that on hand it may be worth considering that.

User Tag List