Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Defensive Ammo Choice for Short Barrel 9mm (Glock 43/Sig P365)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    As a data point how many unsatisfactory shootings versus satisfactory shootings....... and what is the definition of a satisfactory shooting?

And when they switched to the 127 how many satisfactory shootings did they have?
    I think that it was three unsatisfactory that he mentioned at that time. It was part of a long informal discussion that we had with them during an Active Shooter preparation assessment they did for us here following the protests and sniper shootings back in 2016. As I recall it was a combination of insufficient expansion and / or penetration from the small pistols after going through very heavy clothing, which did not solicit the expected/desired response from the target. I work with them, but not for them, so I am sorry but really don't think that I should put up here the exact specifics of what I was told.

From what I have heard since then they are pleased with the 127 Ranger and are still using it, but we have not discussed any shootings with it. I think that a lot of their ammunition selection process tends to be weighted heavily in favor of good performers against vehicles. All the discussions we have had about ammunition since then referenced performance against auto glass, doors, hoods, etc. For example I have been told that they don't like low recoil (velocity) buckshot because of poor vehicle penetration. I need to try to get them to let me shoot some Flight Control #1 at some junkers up there one day just to see how that super tight shot column hitting together offsets lower per pellet energy.

Quote Originally Posted by revolvergeek View Post

A big agency here had several very unsatisfactory results with 147 Gold Dot (ETA: the ORIGINAL Gold Dot, not the G2 version. No info on that load.) out of the 26/43 platform, so I would stay away from that combo. They switched to the 127 +P+ Ranger and have been much happier with that.
    Why not just go with 124+P Gold Dot?

Site Supporter
    You would have to ask them that, but I think that the idea was that the 127 +p+ was the fastest load commonly available.

ETA: good to see you on here James.

Site Supporter
    I'm no expert on the matter, just a hillbilly who likes numbers. When I started back to carrying full time, I was behind the 8 ball on ammo, so the 9mm Ammo Quest was handy, especially since I was carrying small guns at the time. I loaded up on some of the Train and Defend because it was available at WM. I have moved on from that for my EDC, especially since I now carry a full size gun, but Doc's comments ring vastly true because unless you've chronographed your specific gun, some of these discussions seems redundant, at best.

I chronoed the Train and Defend from my PX4 compact, as the last of it is in that gun in my headboad pistol box. It was running a whopping 850 fps. Not very impressive. If I remember right, every other load I ran across the chrono in the PF9 and PX4 compact, the 3" barrel had significantly greater velocity than the 3.3". Same rings for every Beretta barrel I've shot compared to anything else similar. They just run slow in comparison. Point being velocity and barrel length are vastly relative, so I'm just sticking with what I can get ahold of for a price I don't mind paying and shoots well in my pistols.

Picked up a True Precision threaded barrel for the 365. I thought this would be a great way to get a little more velocity with 147's. Going to test it this weekend, fit perfect in a JMCK Wing Claw also.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    FWIW I've personally only bought 147 Federal HSTs for the last ~ 5 years but recently placed an order for about 250rds of the 124gr standard pressure Gold Dot. Based on what I've read from some posters here, it seems like they may be a little more reliable in my G43s.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    FWIW I've personally only bought 147 Federal HSTs for the last ~ 5 years but recently placed an order for about 250rds of the 124gr standard pressure Gold Dot. Based on what I've read from some posters here, it seems like they may be a little more reliable in my G43s.

Are you having reliability problems with 147 HST in them?

Site Supporter
    Just FYI - chrono data from my P99C (3.5" barrel):

Standard pressure 147-grain HST: 1008 fps/SD 6 (8 shots, had some duplicates I thought didn't read)
    124-grain +P HST (new box, blue sealant): 1171 fps/SD 5 (five shots)

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Just FYI - chrono data from my P99C (3.5" barrel):

Standard pressure 147-grain HST: 1008 fps/SD 6 (8 shots, had some duplicates I thought didn't read)
    Does this load pass the plunk test in your P99c? I just bought some of it, as I was stocking up and SGAmmo was out of what has been my preferred load (Hornady Critical Duty 135 grain), and while it drops all the way into the chamber and drops out smoothly, it will not spin. This is true in both my P99c and my full size P99.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Does this load pass the plunk test in your P99c? I just bought some of it, as I was stocking up and SGAmmo was out of what has been my preferred load (Hornady Critical Duty 135 grain), and while it drops all the way into the chamber and drops out smoothly, it will not spin. This is true in both my P99c and my full size P99.
    I tried it in my two P99Cs and had the same result. The 124-grain HST spun freely.

I wouldn't get too spun up about this. As long as it runs in your carry gun, it should be good to go.

User Tag List