Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 44 Special Lever Gun

I'm glad that 5" isn't the half-lug model, otherwise I would be #coveting
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I missed the boat on the 5” full lug when Lipsey’s had them. I’d give both left nuts now for one. I keep looking.

Nice. Very nice.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

I ordered the Marlin 1894 in .44 mag today, now i wait. Im glad I did when they called the distributer they said they would send the last one in stock. I came home and checked all the usual on line dealers and I couldn't find any in stock anywhere. I also talked to a popular lever gun gunsmith and he said the current models were very good coming from Remlin and to run it a while to see if what or if anything was needed to be worked on. I asked about changing the follower to a metal and he told me to check mine when I get it because the factory was planning to go back to a metal one but he didn't know when that was going to happen. He said 44 specials should run great out of a current gun. He was hesitant when I asked if I could use his name, due to being over booked, so I told him I wouldn't. Now I have to decide on sights, mainly a rear peep.

Quote Originally Posted by FES313 View Post
    I ordered the Marlin 1894 in .44 mag today, now i wait. Im glad I did when they called the distributer they said they would send the last one in stock. I came home and checked all the usual on line dealers and I couldn't find any in stock anywhere. I also talked to a popular lever gun gunsmith and he said the current models were very good coming from Remlin and to run it a while to see if what or if anything was needed to be worked on. I asked about changing the follower to a metal and he told me to check mine when I get it because the factory was planning to go back to a metal one but he didn't know when that was going to happen. He said 44 specials should run great out of a current gun. He was hesitant when I asked if I could use his name, due to being over booked, so I told him I wouldn't. Now I have to decide on sights, mainly a rear peep.
    My 1894c I purchased June of last year has about 1K rounds through it. Aside from an overly long magazine spring, that was easily trimmed to length, it's been great. I'm quite fond of XS sights on mine.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Nice!

Pics and review when able!
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

While waiting patiently because "shipping may be delayed because Covid 19" I have went ahead and ordered sights, safety delete, dovetail blank and metal follower from Ranger Point Precision. RPP has the only receiver sight that can be used with the factory front and better windage and elevation adjustment. I went with the traditional round aperture, I'm not really sold on the clover leaf. https://www.rangerpointstore.com/mar...ack-stainless/

tick

tock

I got it. Initial impressions

June has been an interesting month due to the "civil unrest", we cant say riots, and because of this I told my FFL just hold on to it because I was having to work extra. I got to pick it up on June 11th. I immediately brought it home and stuck it in the safe and left to go camping/decompress for a week. Yesterday I mounted the sight from Ranger Point Precision (RPP) and got the first couple of groups in using Federal classic 180gr Hi-Shock ammo. From 50 yards both groups was one big hole, sorry I didn't think to snap a pic of those.

First impressions- wood to metal is excellent except this spot

The pressed in checkering is not the worst example I have ever seen but its still pressed in checkering. The good thing is they left enough meat to sand it smooth if i decide to do so. It did come with a plastic follower(its Delrin!) that I changed out to the metal one from RPP. Trigger pull is clean with 0 creep but breaks over 9lbs. Remington has improved a couple of things over the old JMs, the chamber mouth has been beveled and they have adjusted the carrier to where it will feed longer cartridges. I loaded a few dummies with the Keith bullet in magnum brass to a total length of 1.71" and they feed without fault. I have read but cant find it now that Remington adjusted it to feed up to 1.73" where the old JMs were at 1.6?"

I have added the dove tail blank and safety delete all from RPP. I waited to get my hands all over it before I ordered anything else and after working the lever I have ordered the medium loop lever and trigger from RPP. I can envision my ginormous hand getting hung up in the factory lever. I could probably work on the trigger and get it lighter but a buddy has a RPP trigger in his 1895 and it is sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by FES313 View Post
    RPP has the only receiver sight that can be used with the factory front and better windage and elevation adjustment...
    Your project is looking good.

Ive so far never had to change a front sight to be able to use a receiver peep. Ive used the older type Williams foolproof, then Lyman 56 and 66s. Maybe 30 or so guns. None needed a different front sight to be able to zero. Just a PSA.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

User Tag List