Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: trekking poles

RFI: trekking poles

In my day, we called these “a stick.” I don’t even know what I don’t know about getting a pair. Just grab a set off of Amazon, because they’re just aluminum sticks, or is there some sort of standard/G19 of poles I should look at?

Thanks In advance for indulging me.

Site Supporter
    Back in the aughts, I spent probably a year and a half backpacking.

I’d invest, Leki or Black Diamond. Don’t go to amazon and get a Hi Point.

Actually, a better start would be what you doing with them? What do you want them to do?
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 05-15-2020 at 09:00 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I don't know nothing about nothing.

That out of the way, I've used these for 3 years and other than the rubber doo-dickey at the bottom wearing out and the metal bolt sticking through they are still as new. They are about $30 for the pair.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

We're pretty happy with these:

http://www.rutalocura.com/trekking_poles.html

Spendy but light. I carry mine on my pack as much as in the hand, so they work for me. If you use them all the time they might not be worth it.

Hammertime
    The carbon poles carried at Costco are cheap and durable. Recommended.

https://andrewskurka.com/costco-trekking-poles/

Also. Look for lever locking systems as twist locks are a PITA.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    In my day, we called these “a stick.” I don’t even know what I don’t know about getting a pair. Just grab a set off of Amazon, because they’re just aluminum sticks, or is there some sort of standard/G19 of poles I should look at? Thanks In advance for indulging me.
    Features = cost, so consider if you want them to break down and how light they need to be. Pay more than $50, but if you're not shaving ounces, folding them up small, or need a pro grade you don't need to spend more than $100. Black Diamonds are GTG: https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en/trekking-poles. Several options here are a good place to start. Things to consider: Heavier hiker or load on rougher terrain benefits from a stouter pole. If your terrain varies on an outing and you're alternating carrying/using, you may like a segmented pole. You can also scabbard or QD lash a regular adjustable to a pack.

Kind of like guns and ammo stuff, some details don't matter until they do.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Back in the aughts, I spent probably a year and a half backpacking.

I’d invest, Leki or Black Diamond. Don’t go to amazon and get a Hi Point.

Actually, a better start would be what you doing with them? What do you want them to do?
    I appreciate your input; you know the lay of the land, for sure. The deal is that I will be going out with my cop/ECQC buddy to do some prep for spot and stalk black bear a couple of hours due east of you. My bud is a Marine combat vet, about your age, and fit as fuck, so when he told me that some trekking poles would be a Godsend on the hike, I pretty much decided to take him at his word. We will have rucks on, day trip. And... what I want them to do is help keep my old ass upright.

I don’t need takedown, or ultralight, just comfy and supportive for rucking into bear country, if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Features = cost, so consider if you want them to break down and how light they need to be. Pay more than $50, but if you're not shaving ounces, folding them up small, or need a pro grade you don't need to spend more than $100. Black Diamonds are GTG: https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en/trekking-poles. Several options here are a good place to start. Things to consider: Heavier hiker or load on rougher terrain benefits from a stouter pole. If your terrain varies on an outing and you're alternating carrying/using, you may like a segmented pole. You can also scabbard or QD lash a regular adjustable to a pack.

Kind of like guns and ammo stuff, some details don't matter until they do.
    Makes sense. As mentioned, I don’t need them to break down, but heavy load and rougher terrain is about right.

Site Supporter
    I would second the recommendation for Black Diamond, they are on sale right as well.

If I had to pick a set right now I’d hit the Distance Carbon FLZ.

You want something that folds down and you can stowaway. There will be times where poles are a pain like a road walk or scrambling where you need you hands or up and over heavy blowdown. I always broke down my poles for hitchhiking and strapped them to my pack, I never left them in a hitch. It also helps just to keep your shit together and tight. It is nice to be able to break down 2 awkward three foot long sticks.

You want the FLZ which is adjustable or any pole that is adjustable unless you really know the height you like. The height should be the top of your hands with your elbows against your torso at 90 degrees and your forearms parallel with the ground. There are times I like to run them longer for descents and shorter for climbs. But you could be a set and forget sort of dude. The BD’s are nice too because they are just a single length adjustment, not two like most telescoping poles.

Forget anything with springs, adds weight and complications.

The BD ones that are more running oriented are great because they come together/extend quick and vise versa. I have had much better luck with the flick lock levers then the twist - like on Leki poles.

The older I get the more I focus on lightweight, those ounces add pounds. If you are reasonable to poles you’ll be fine. I don’t know if I have seen a breakage difference between light poles and heavy poles. I am smaller dude. On the AT when I was young and stupid and malnutrition was present I hit 130 lbs and could smell the muscle tissue being used for energy in my sweat.

I went through 4 pairs of poles on my PCT thru hike and other hikes probably claimed another 4 pairs. They have probably saved me from a dozen falls that would of fucked me up. I descend 1/2 to 1 mph faster with poles. I love them. They might seem weird to folks but man they help. If you are athletic and robust they might just get in the way, there are many super fast long distance backpackers that don’t use them. If you surveyed 9 out of 10 folks that have done the AT, PCT, and CDT. They did the 8000 miles of packing with poles.
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 05-16-2020 at 12:11 AM.

The only thing I'll say about poles is that make sure you're actually using them correctly. I see way too many people on the trails using them as just canes, when you could be way more efficient and use them as ski poles; if you use the straps correctly, you barely have to grip the poles. I find poles just as useful on even, flat terrain as I do going up or down hill (think Nordic walking).

I personally use fairly heavy poles (MSR Talus TR-3), but they're also durable as fuck (I've been beating on them for over 5 years now), and I've gotten so used to the way they swing that lighter poles kinda throw me off (I also have a pair of CAMP Sky Carbon, bought when I had to send the TR-3 in for repair because some marmots ate my straps). The fact that I almost never stow them, but instead are always using them, makes the weight less of an issue; Lord knows there are plenty of other places I could cut weight if I wanted to.

I do adjust for going up or down hill if it's sustained, but if it's just a small hill, I tend to just leave it be.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 05-16-2020 at 12:36 AM.

Using straps currently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmddqxemyO8

This makes a huge difference. You don’t have to grip the pole tightly and your hand and forearm can stay relaxed. I tend to make a loose ring with my thumb and forefinger and use the other fingers as needed to control placement. With practice you get good at flicking the poles out ahead of you on downhills, which would be almost impossible with a tight grip.
    Last edited by peterb; 05-16-2020 at 06:41 AM.

User Tag List