Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns For Which You Had High Expectations and They Delivered

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

Guns For Which You Had High Expectations and They Delivered

This is for the guns that you thought would be the best thing since sliced bread and which were that, indeed.

I'll begin with a S&W Model 65, 3" with a bobbed hammer. I thought that this might damn well be the perfect IWB revolver. I finally got one that was so configured earlier this year and, guess what: It is indeed all that.

S&W Model 17, 6". Unless someone was a really good shot, I could hold my own with this against people in Bullseye shooting. I could sometimes beat guys in mano-a-mano plate matches.

S&W Model 27, 6": If you need me to tell you why this is an awesome gun, then you need to shoot one. I paid more for mine than I have for any other used gun and I've never regretted it.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Seconded on the model 17. We have a pre-model number K-22 Target Masterpiece. It's a laser. Hyper-accurate, just enough recoil to let you know you're shooting, cheap to fire for long range sessions, plus that little supersonic zinging noise :-) I expected good things but was actually doubting it would live up to its reputation. It lives up to every bit of the legend and is a family favorite.

Prob not a surprise after other comments in the related threads, but: HK MP5.

CZ Shadow 2: Best handgun I've ever owned.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

My 5” 629 Classic and my 5 1/2” Ruger MkII bull barrel.

Ignore Alien Orders

Ed Brown Products Special Forces Model SF-SS-G3-A caliber .45 ACP pistol with custom VG grips, flush barrel crown, recessed slide stop/countersunk hole, “clean” slide (no markings) ambidextrous safety, stainless steel with black “Gen III” finish, and 10-8 Performance rear sight and gold bead front sight.

This pistol was custom ordered by another person who subsequently encountered some financial challenges and put it up for sale with less that 50 rounds fired. It was in as-new, pristine, perfect condition, and I was in the right place at the right time to make the purchase.

Had I custom ordered the pistol directly, I would have ordered it exactly as it was. It was meant to be!

I have owned and shot multiple dozens of 1911 pistols, but this one has proven to be by far the best. Zero problems. 100% reliability. Very accurate with multiple loads. I shot a lot of IDPA matches with it as well as one Gunsite Alumni shoot. Lots of rounds down range, and showing some cosmetic holster wear, but the gun just keeps on clickin's, and seems to have been made "just for me". It's the last handgun I would part with, despite my fondness for my CZ's

In no particular order, but these all stand out as to living up to the hype for me:

Accuracy International AX
    Knights SR-15 with Mod 2 gas system
    Benelli M1 Super 90
    MP-5
    M1 Garand

Hammertime
    Glock 45 and 19X
    P30L
    BCM 11.5”

3rd on the S&W model 17. I have a 4” my heirs have been instructed they’ll have to fight over. Chest size steel at 100 meters is easy in DA. Plate racks are child’s play. Best damn rimfire handgun I own.

Makes me consider trying a 4” 617 10 shooter with an Apex mass driver hammer.

User Tag List