Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Premature Old Man Gun: .380 Shield EZ

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post

Anyone been playing with the EZ series guns?
    I bought one for the guy I took my concealed class, from. He couldn't justify it yet, and he teaches a fair amount of women and elderly. I just asked if we bump into each other at the range, I get to try it. I am more a exposed hammer guy, with a decocker, but have been tempted by the idea of the EZ nine. (if it were a double stack, I would have jumped, but am not the target audience)
    I think it would be a good trainer for certain family members, as well as showing the choices between safety and decockers, magazine safety, etc. I have a friends elderly mother, who I think might be the right one for one. My hope would be an easier gun to shoot, might mean they actually practice more, so if they actually needed it....

Seventy-one more rounds downrange theough the Performance Center .380 EZ, today. Fifty JHP and twenty-one Winchester Service Grade flat point FMJ, Started with a Wizard Drill shot fresh off a half-mile weight sled drag:

Forgot to get a photo of the target but took one of the time note. Point down at the final 10 yard stage which would have been good if using the called-for 8" circle. But I wasn't, so it isn't. The Hayes 5x5 was run from low-ready.

Then on to Ohio's police handgun qualification. Low round count, strong/weak hand only, retention shooting, movement required onnthe beep, and all strings short to avoid walking rounds on target. The Mozambique stage in particular made me feel good about life for a moment:

Blue marked hits from the four foot retention stage and I did walk those in.

Timer reading on the Mozambique.

Final target. 5.5" square high center chest and 4" circular headbox in a QIT-99 bottle.

Shooting at 25 yards, the sights definitely drive the dot. Very happy about that.

After that, I ran some draws to single hits on targets from.a quarter sheet of paper down to a 4" circle at 12, 15, 30, and 33'. Then shot my SCCY CPX-3 through a F.A.S.T. with pocketed magazine, some Mozambiques at various ranges from 12-33', and draws to single shots. No photos taken.

Finished with three draws to single hits at four yards with my USP compact so my last trigger pulls would be with the carry gun. Then a Mozambique at five yards. And finally a 6x6 to get recoil management back in my head and avoid laziness from the popguns.

I had centered the loaded chamber indicator roll pin but it's already walking back out. Will flare it in place, tonight. At least retention shooting was unremarkable despite the porting.

Timely thread. At a very recent class, a ~50yo female student brought a .380 EZ with Wolf or Tula steel cased ammo. Through a couple of hundred rounds she and a few ladies of widely variable strength and dexterity, aged ~50-80, ran ~200 rounds through the gun without a gun-related issue. It shot to POA with the steel case and Black Hills 380 JHP-XTP. During a walk-back drill, gun and ammo stayed on B/C steel to 50yds. Recoil was very mild, trigger decent, and slide easily manageable. An occasional stovepipe occurred with visibly weak or low grips on the backstrap. Poor grip also failed to disengage the grip safety. When properly gripped, the gun ran. I'd want to shoot a few hundred more rounds of several different skus before forming any reliability judgement. Credit where credit is due, the ammo chosen was what the owner actually uses, and the gun performed adequately through at least a 3-mag basic load of each type.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Turns out that the finger nubs in the magazine follower are a rather hard metal injection molded part. The ledt side stud sticks out a fair bit farther than the right and is quitr irritating against the thigh when pocketed. The file just wanted to skate across it so I clamped the shorter nub in a pair of locking pliers and started working the taller with a bench sander. Part kicked loose and now I have to pull the sander apart to dig it out. Here's hoping this is worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    I bought one for the guy I took my concealed class, from. He couldn't justify it yet, and he teaches a fair amount of women and elderly. I just asked if we bump into each other at the range, I get to try it. I am more a exposed hammer guy, with a decocker, but have been tempted by the idea of the EZ nine. (if it were a double stack, I would have jumped, but am not the target audience)
    I think it would be a good trainer for certain family members, as well as showing the choices between safety and decockers, magazine safety, etc. I have a friends elderly mother, who I think might be the right one for one. My hope would be an easier gun to shoot, might mean they actually practice more, so if they actually needed it....
    I like the concept of this weapon. My 75-year-old, 4' 11" mother shot a bunch of different rental .22 and .380 pistols and revolvers at a local range, and preferred the Browning 1911-380. We generally think of the 1911 as an expert's or enthusiast's weapon, but they are both essentially SAO hammer-fired pistols, with grip and thumb safeties. The grip circumference and trigger reach are shorter than the EZ.

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    Turns out that the finger nubs in the magazine follower are a rather hard metal injection molded part. The ledt side stud sticks out a fair bit farther than the right and is quitr irritating against the thigh when pocketed. The file just wanted to skate across it so I clamped the shorter nub in a pair of locking pliers and started working the taller with a bench sander. Part kicked loose and now I have to pull the sander apart to dig it out. Here's hoping this is worth the effort.
    Is this loose in the pocket, or in a pocket mag pouch?
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Loose. I've kept one in my pocket since grinding to make sure the juice was worth the squeeze and it's much more agreeable. I'll ultimately be baking a kydex OWB mag pouch but like being able to pocket a spare all the same plus it'll make blanking out the mold a bit easier.

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I like the concept of this weapon. My 75-year-old, 4' 11" mother shot a bunch of different rental .22 and .380 pistols and revolvers at a local range, and preferred the Browning 1911-380. We generally think of the 1911 as an expert's or enthusiast's weapon, but they are both essentially SAO hammer-fired pistols, with grip and thumb safeties. The grip circumference and trigger reach are shorter than the EZ.
    My wife was into her 50s when she finally concluded that she was less dismal with a 9mm 1911 Commander or Compact than any other centerfire handgun. A lot of this is due to features that are not aggravated by her physical issues, some of which the average shooter is not going to be bothered by until much later in life. I was not real enthusiastic about a casual shooter like her with a 1911, but you have touched on many of the attractions the 1911 has for her.

On a personal note, I am a late arrival to the 9mm 1911 party myself, and it is for many of the same reasons. The dang things - in my case, 5" all-steel 9mm 1911s - are a dream to shoot, and I shoot them well enough to normally be as pleased as a little kid having a good day with his trusty BB gun. Aging has encouraged me to find "friendlier" solutions to lot of things, and though they don't look like my cup of tea, I may rent an EZ and give it a try.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    My wife was into her 50s when she finally concluded that she was less dismal with a 9mm 1911 Commander or Compact than any other centerfire handgun. A lot of this is due to features that are not aggravated by her physical issues, some of which the average shooter is not going to be bothered by until much later in life. I was not real enthusiastic about a casual shooter like her with a 1911, but you have touched on many of the attractions the 1911 has for her.

On a personal note, I am a late arrival to the 9mm 1911 party myself, and it is for many of the same reasons. The dang things - in my case, 5" all-steel 9mm 1911s - are a dream to shoot, and I shoot them well enough to normally be as pleased as a little kid having a good day with his trusty BB gun. Aging has encouraged me to find "friendlier" solutions to lot of things, and though they don't look like my cup of tea, I may rent an EZ and give it a try.
    My oldest son has some degenerative nerve issues, and shooting his G19 became painful. A switch to the same weapon (bolded above) has alleviated his problems.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I own a Sig 1911 10mm because I thought it would be a good platform for that. (and I found a deal on it and thought I should give 1911's another try, after my only experience). I did look at the high power, but I still have a DA/SA preference. I expect something like my Langdon Compact (nice triggers) or my CZ 82 would be more my old man gun. But I won't know, until I get there.

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    I expect something like my Langdon Compact (nice triggers) or my CZ 82 would be more my old man gun. But I won't know, until I get there.
    If the road there is an easy one vs a hard one, you'll get to be more choosy. I used to wonder why certain codgers of my acquaintence ended up shooting a small, seemingly idiosyncratic selection of their handgun collection, but I eventually figured it out.*

I have not been able to try a .380 Shield EZ, but I am going to try and rectify that soon.

*Achieving codger status has also enlightened me as to why some of my elders hung on to their "piddly" 16 and 20 gauge shotguns while selling their "manly" 12 gauges.
    Last edited by gato naranja; 05-23-2020 at 01:46 PM.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

User Tag List