Thread: Can shooting faster increase accuracy?

Can shooting faster increase accuracy?

I’ve always shot my glock 43 kind of meh and I got a range timer finally and decided to time myself so I was shooting much faster than usual. It seemed my accuracy improved most of the time. It was like 70% of my rounds got much more accurate, 20% were about the same accuracy and 10% were little guys no one should worry about that missed the bullseye by 18 inches.

When I usually do slow fire with the 43 I’m consistently mediocre. With speed I am generally better and sometimes dangerously off target, but I think that’s me learning the balance of not breaking the shot too quickly.

I wonder though if shooting faster can make you more accurate because you’re thinking less and just breaking the shot faster?

One weird thing I noticed is that I put a snap cap as my last round always to avoid the sensation of the slide locking to the rear and me not reloading. Most of the time I don’t incorporate reloads into training since I am a bad person and don’t carry one. Anyway, this last shot more importantly makes me see if I’m flinching and when I’m slow firing, I usually don’t flinch in that last snap cap shot. But today at speed I was flinching 100% of the time On the last snap cap. Which is weird because I was hitting 10 rings consistently at 5 yards at speed. So it made me wonder if the effect rob laetham talks about is working here where my body anticipates the recoil and flinches the gun opposing it to keep the gun on target and when there’s no recoil, my body still does that little flinch. Rob says that’s good and I’m wondering if I unconsciously developed it because I have not intentionally trained it.

Here are a couple of the dives into pre and post ignition pushes, in regards to your last paragraph.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....really-a-thing

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-Movement-quot

One last suggestion. Might want to flag the post and ask a mod to move it to Marksmanship and Gun Handling. (Just a thought)

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Trying to stage the trigger just before it breaks then snatching at it when the sight picture looks perfect will reduce accuracy. Does that sound like something you're doing at slow fire? If so, by speeding up you may have increased the consistency of pulling the trigger and reduced snatching and anticipation shoving.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 05-15-2020 at 07:43 AM.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

It sounds like what you’re doing is what BBI just described. When you’re shooting faster, you’re not worried about when the shot breaks or making individual shots break.

Think of it this way: instead of trying to break the shot NOW simply decide when you START the trigger press and then just let everything else fall into place.

Perhaps said in one of the referred to threads, rather than thinking of speed, think of continuous movement. In other words, once you start moving the trigger, keep moving it until the shot breaks. How quickly you move the trigger will, of course, relate to the difficulty of your shot. TPC says, as a general rule, to not increase your rate of trigger speed, once you begin working the trigger.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Perhaps said in one of the referred to threads, rather than thinking of speed, think of continuous movement. In other words, once you start moving the trigger, keep moving it until the shot breaks. How quickly you move the trigger will, of course, relate to the difficulty of your shot. TPC says, as a general rule, to not increase your rate of trigger speed, once you begin working the trigger.
    I'm glad someone mentioned this, as it hit close to home. Before switching to LEM, my primary pistol was a 226 or 229. I shot a LOT of DA-only rounds, full mags, decocking after each shot, and aside from watching Ernest Langdon's 'Fear Not the Double Action', much of my DA accuracy skills came from just shooting, and trying different things; what you mention above was one of them. For me, it was just a thought that popped in my mind, "what if I just pulled the trigger faster than normal...careful, deliberate, but almost in a way that felt reckless or fearless. When I did it, I was pleasantly surprised that my accuracy actually stayed the same as my slow-fire shots, or maybe a little better. It was a real surprise, and to this day, it works for me. I guess when you do this, maybe a way to think of it, is that you're not over-thinking the pulling of the trigger, and just DO IT smoothly, and bingo!

My time with the Sigs is what made the transition to LEM a simple one.

User Tag List