Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Technique Questions from Dot Torture

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Question for the Dot Torture folks: the range where I go won't let me draw from the holster any more (owner was very gracious about it; said I obviously knew what I was doing and displayed a lot of skill in drawing from appendix, but he didn't want other customers seeing me and trying it). So, on the "draw" dots, could I just come up from low ready to get a similar effect?

My range is similar, and I just go from low ready. I work on holster reps at home during dry-fire with a 2in shoot-n-see on the wall. Dot Torture is probably my favorite practice tool. I usually start off the range session with it, and then focus on working on where I'm weakest. I will also run it once a session with the J-frame, as 50 rounds is about my limit. I also don't use a timer because it would catch everyone around me. I'm hoping to get my backyard range set up sometime soon so I can focus on more speed oriented practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress....all-and-dummy/

Alternate the entire magazine - if you see yourself flinch, just reset and work through the press - helps diagnose/cure flinching.

Shot a Dot T again today.

Forgot my snap caps so I didn't do the drill as per @Les Pepperoni

Timed it - hopefully you can see what I wrote.

EDIT: FWIW my full speed 1st shot from draw, concealed, seems to average 1.6 seconds (despite my earlier post of the .89 draw, I can never accomplish it live fire) and splits are usually in the low to mid .20's I'm not sure where those numbers are in the grand scheme of things but thats my "full speed".

EDIT 2:

Just noticed on targets 9 & 10 the last pair I put my split as 3.01 and 3.09. Impossible. It has to be 2.01 and 3.09. My apologies
    Last edited by Jay585; 06-21-2020 at 09:52 PM.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

I think that looks great.

You're meeting the 2 second standard, good on ya.

1.60 first shot is my average on Bill Drills, averaging 1.17 on "A zone 1 second challenge", for dot torture you're doing just fine, I'd say.

Went to the range yesterday but forgot my timer so I shot a bunch of 25 yard targets and tried my hand at 50 yards (post: link) and shot a dot t again.

For the #5 - is each shot supposed to be a draw+shot 5 times or is it draw and fire 5?

"Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Went to the range yesterday but forgot my timer so I shot a bunch of 25 yard targets and tried my hand at 50 yards (post: link) and shot a dot t again.

For the #5 - is each shot supposed to be a draw+shot 5 times or is it draw and fire 5?
    Single draw, fire five shots.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Interesting thread. Only started shooting this drill in the past month. Here’s one I did recently at 7 yards just inside 5 minutes. Failure as I am having a devil of a time with my support hand only shooting.

For reference, VP9 with RMR, WIN NATO ball on this particular round. Heaviest trigger I’ve shot in about 19 years, at about 4.75 lbs, having transitioned from custom 1911‘S (3.5#) to tuned striker guns (4#), and now these out of the box pieces, which do have a nice crisp trigger action. I hate to say it but I think I developed a pretty good push all those years, and it took a lot of effort to break that. Endless dry fire and ball-and-dummy drills with the heavier trigger has helped a lot, but it took a ton of effort. And obviously I have to stay on top of it.

I’ve cleaned the drill a couple of times (if liners count) at 5 yards in 4:45 with 147 grain flat point from the same pistol. I find adding a time par really helps put on pressure and forces greater focus, as well as keeping me honest on the press.

And the RMR is cheating, of course- I’m having a devil of a time with my front iron indoors due to vision changes. Used to be corrected to 20/15 down to a foot from my nose, but not anymore. Long distance is still fine, thankfully, and no astigmatism.

Will be doing a 4 day class with Larry Mudgett in a few days so no more practice until then. He’s very much focused on trigger control, so I expect it to help add to my accuracy.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Tag List