Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns That Delivered Way more than Expected

Gen 5 GLOCKs- They've surpassed my expectations in every way. I was never fully satisfied with the Gen 4's, and tolerated them, but the Gen 5 exhibited a marked improvement in accuracy and durability. Also, the flared mag well, redesigned striker block and the improved trigger / takedown springs make the Gen 5 the obvious choice for me. They're the best guns that GLOCK has ever produced.

MAS 49/56- Bought this gun many moons ago and was immediately impressed with the quality of the build, its simplicity, reliability and just overall being a rock solid rifle. I think I paid $350 for the thing with four mags, a bayonet and an accessory kit. In the late 1990's, the only available ammo for it was French military surplus, with very sporadic availability. Like a fool, I sold it, and regret doing so to this day.

Sig P220 I’m a long time fan of P220’s. Accuracy on par with a custom 1911 and even better reliability. How an aluminum frame 45 works that well I’ll never know.

Glock 43x It’s the best shooting small pistol I’ve ever owned. One day I’ll spring for Shield magazines. 15 rounds in a gun that small just doesn’t seem possible.

Glock 44 It’s the best shooting most user friendly 22 I’ve ever owned period. It’s so much fun to shoot. I take it to the range every time I go now. Only 1000 rounds through it so far but it has a permanent home. The fact that it’s compatible with standard Glock sights and holsters is a huge bonus. I think Glock hit it out of the park. I would love to see them make a 43x or 48 size 22 next.

Glock G45. Here’s the thing. I don’t like Glocks. But they have it figured out with Gen 5’s. Other companies claim to be modular but Glock still does it better. I hate them less than I use to.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Daniel Defense Mk18.

Mainly because I read for years on the internet about how Mk18s are unreliable, break often, and recoil harsher than 11.5 guns.

So far they've been extremely reliable and have felt recoil on par with a .22 Magnum, or similar to my BCM 14.5" midlengths I previously owned. The older Mod 0/CQBR we have recoils more like an M4, but the DD is a ridiculously sweet shooting piece. The biggest thing that has impacted their parts breakages is the cleaning regimen. When our weapons repairmen were able to convince the firearms instructors to stop making students scrape the shit out of parts ala military style (many of our FTU instructors being prior .mil), our parts breakages went from "these guns have a habit to breaking" to "these guns never break".
    It's hard to explain the difference between the OG DD MK18 uppers with the blown out gas port and the newer models with the crane spec gas port to someone who hasn't used both. The best way I know to describe the OG MK18 is imagine shooting a suppressed gun with tons of gas blow back in your face, except you're not shooting suppressed.

Beretta PX4 Compact: Didn't like looking at it, made a face when I picked it up (wasn't a huge fan of the ergonomics or the lack of texture), and then I shot it.... I was very confused. Smoother and flatter than any similar sized gun I'd ever shot at that point (PPQ, M11A1, G19, P30), and I was stacking rounds on top of each other better than I did with my EDC at the time. Needless to say I had an order in at Robar for a Compact Carry MOD 4 (back when they were doing those with LTT) within a week. That thing pulled dual duty for a while as an IDPA rig and my EDC (now its just EDC), and it changes hearts and minds every time someone new to the platform shoots it.

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post

Glock 44 It’s the best shooting most user friendly 22 I’ve ever owned period. It’s so much fun to shoot. I take it to the range every time I go now. Only 1000 rounds through it so far but it has a permanent home. The fact that it’s compatible with standard Glock sights and holsters is a huge bonus. I think Glock hit it out of the park. I would love to see them make a 43x or 48 size 22 next. .
    Of course with the caveat -- the 'squeaky wheels' make the most internet noise... How has the reliability been for you? Which ammo(s) have you run? Have their been revisions?

Seems there were issues with it running through entire mags without hiccups. I have experience with only one (not mine) but couldn't get it to run even Mini Mags which generally run well in most anything. Seems there's a bit of noise about this 'issue' on the net.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    Of course with the caveat -- the 'squeaky wheels' make the most internet noise... How has the reliability been for you? Which ammo(s) have you run? Have their been revisions?

Seems there were issues with it running through entire mags without hiccups. I have experience with only one (not mine) but couldn't get it to run even Mini Mags which generally run well in most anything. Seems there's a bit of noise about this 'issue' on the net.
    I’m not aware of any noise on the net about G44’s. Mine just runs. Everything I’ve put through it has been cheap bulk pack 38 grain and 40 grain standard velocity.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post

Mine is ridiculously reliable with nearly ten brands of ammo. If I clean it even more so. Seven stoppages in 3875 rounds. Add four more stoppages with crap ammo. I don’t have a lot of rimfire experience but my G44 has way over delivered. Everyone loves to shoot it.

Site Supporter
    Sig P220 I’m a long time fan of P220’s. Accuracy on par with a custom 1911 and even better reliability. How an aluminum frame 45 works that well I’ll never know.

Glock 43x It’s the best shooting small pistol I’ve ever owned. One day I’ll spring for Shield magazines. 15 rounds in a gun that small just doesn’t seem possible.

Glock 44 It’s the best shooting most user friendly 22 I’ve ever owned period. It’s so much fun to shoot. I take it to the range every time I go now. Only 1000 rounds through it so far but it has a permanent home. The fact that it’s compatible with standard Glock sights and holsters is a huge bonus. I think Glock hit it out of the park. I would love to see them make a 43x or 48 size 22 next.

Glock G45. Here’s the thing. I don’t like Glocks. But they have it figured out with Gen 5’s. Other companies claim to be modular but Glock still does it better. I hate them less than I use to.
    Obviously, since 3/4 guns you mentioned are Glocks...

Kinda in the same boat. Gadget helped me get over it, but so did actually shooting them.

I’m not aware of any noise on the net about G44’s.
    As someone that isn't interested in buying a .22 pistol, the one and only thing I remember from all the fanfare when it hit the market was G44 slides spontaneously disassembling when fired.

So, from the outside looking in, I'd say there's lots of noise on the net about the G44. It was discussed greatly on this very forum, IIRC.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

CZ 75 SP01 Shadows. I have three of the full sized ones and one Compact and love everyone of them. Easiest pistols to shoot of any I have tried, with virtually no functionality issues except early on, and those were quickly and inexpensively resolved by replacing magazine springs with +10 springs and having the barrel throat very slightly reamed in two of them.

And I have a RAMI 2075 and a 97B that I like almost as much, although I have shot them considerably less than the Shadows.

Tuning by CZ Custom and Cajun Gun Works has GREATLY contributed to my fondness for these pistols.

User Tag List