Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Guns That Delivered Way more than Expected

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post

The 5" is high on my want list. Is there a significant difference in felt recoil (subjective, I know) between the 3" and 5"?

I put a set of stock Compact Ruger Grips on the 3" and I don't notice a difference until velocities get over 1000fps. I haven't tried a full size grip on the 3 but I think the weight of the 5" has more to do with felt recoil than grip size.

Thanks, I may expand my "wantsies" to the 3" as well.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Walther PPQ in 9. Reliable (had I think 6k rounds through it with zero cleaning or lubrication before I sold it) and shot it better, accuracy and speed (personal best splits), than any other pistol I've had. Loved the paddle mag releases too. Sold it for reasons that had nothing to do with performance.

SIG SP2022. After my M11A1 experience I mentioned in the "pulsating handful of suck" thread I swore off SIG forever except I happened to get a good deal on a 2022, NIB for like 200. Did the 2k challenge with it, passed with zero issues and no sign of slowing down. The sights were set up retarded when it came to poa/poi but could still shoot the hell out of the thing over any other SIG I've shot, which is nearly all of them. Sold it for reasons that had nothing to do with performance.

These two in particular really made me question the whole idea that "bore axis" matters much at all.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Is that stock PSA as well? I'm going to be building at least one more fixed stock rifle and that looks interesting.
    Nope. The PSA A2 stock is in the trash. That's a Seekins 10X. Really awesome, and not too heavy.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I got two:

#1) The Beretta 92/M9 - I picked my first one up back when I was still and ROTC cadet and serving in the Wyoming Guard and shooting on the State Team. The State hadn't received any M9s yet so all my unit had in the way of pistols were old 1911s. Despite all the hate towards the Beretta I decided to buy one and get to know it. I quickly learned to love it (and realized that *most* of its haters were just blowhards that couldn't shoot the 1911 either) and it has been my favorite pistol for more than 20 years since. I'm right now saving my scheckles to buy another one.

#2) My Sig516 - I was firmly in the "No Piston Needed" camp (and still have zero issue with DI and recommend them to everyone wanting an AR). It was 2013 and I was convinced that in the post Sandy Hook world ARs were going to be banned so I set out to get me another AR rifle. I didn't have any spare cash (had a 2 year old and a newborn) but did have a HK USP45Tactical which I had been thinking about selling since they were off the roster in Kalifornia. I found a guy willing to trade a brand new Sig516 and a new EoTech for the HK and the deal was done. I figured I'd give the piston AR a go and inspired by Todd G's 2000 round test decided to shoot the gun with no cleaning and no lube for 2000 rounds. I got up around 1500 rounds with no issues when I realized that I'm not proving anything and decided to clean and lube the gun. Since then it has been running like a champ. I like its recoil impulse, it is as accurate as any AR other than my BCM SPR, and I trust in without hesitation. I honestly didn't expect much from it but it has become my primary carbine.

I guess the moral of the story here is to have low expectations.....

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Dunno how I missed this thread as long as I have. Some interesting listings.

Hands down for me it’s a Ruger SP101 snub. I purchased it with far less thought than other stuff in the safe, almost as an experiment. It’s turned into my primary carry gun, and has surpassed absolutely everything I ever expected out of it. Extremely accurate, has never once failed to go bang or even have the slightest of issues. Hands down the best firearm purchase I have ever made.

Schmidt-Rubin 1911 long rifle. If you’re talking esoteric now, here it is. Another gun that I picked up on a whim. Had a few bucks burning a hole in my pocket, was bored, and looking for something out of the ordinary to fiddle with. Turns out it makes sub-MOA groups with iron sights. The more I shot it, the more I couldn’t believe it. Ended up buying diopter sights for it. Now, even with 57year old eyes that require reading glasses to eat a damn sammich...it will make groups at 100yds that can be covered with a nickel. Not bad for something made when airplanes were wood and fabric and cars had spoked wheels.

I’ll throw an old pre war Winchester 94 in here too. I discovered why they are so iconic and to this day reside in more blue collar deer camps than most anything else.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Nope. The PSA A2 stock is in the trash. That's a Seekins 10X. Really awesome, and not too heavy.
    Thanks! I didn't think it looked like a PSA stock but I couldn't ID it either.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I have one of those . . .

Bought a box stock Glock 19 years and years ago. Used, gen 2 (no gen 3s yet). Serial # ML xxx. Normal Glock reliability and with Federal's 9mmBPLE it will put five shots into an inch at 25 yards. I see signs that someone who could really shoot could do better yet. Helluva pistol.

The ML run must have been special. I've seen a pic of one with factory stamped N - R, which stood for Normal Rifling. It has cut rifling instead of hammer-forged.

Cat

User Tag List