Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns That Delivered Way more than Expected

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Ruger LCP: because I expected maximum suckage from this cheapass little thing. Instead, I found that in my hands, it shoots far better than it has any right to. I was able to put down a pretty decent set of Gabe White drills with it.
    They shoot absolutely fantastic. I just can't get mine trustworthy. Shipping one back to Ruger tomorrow.

A Gen4 Glock 26 I purchased new around 2012. Never a bobble in function and aside from a slower reload than the 19 I carry, just a phenomenal shooting smaller gun.
    And yes, I like the finger grooves.
    It doesn’t have to be fun to be fun ― Mark Twight

Quote Originally Posted by gomerpyle View Post
    Normally i'd think BS, but the VP9 ain't no joke (and of course Ive read AArs detailing how fine a shooter you are!). Finely tuned 1911 accuracy. LAV called it the p210 of the striker fired world. What's more, he thought 20 yards was the maximum effective distance for most striker fired pistols attempting hits on the B8 black. he said the VP9 is an exception - 25 yards for the VP9, which is tuned 1911 territory. and he coined the phrase trigger dynamics to describe the overall excellence of the trigger.

For that matter, LAV is never at a loss for words
    Thanks for the kind words.

In a Glock-heavy class with Larry, he shortened the distance for the Humbler to 17 yards because he said that course of fire had been written for match-tuned 1911s.

It's interesting to contrast how LAV and Pat McNamara approach accuracy. Both demand that you make the par score but if you have trouble doing that, then LAV brings the target closer while Mac extends the time.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

CZ P-01, I never owned one. Then I found an Omega model, took it home and thinking about a third one. It went to Cajun and came back phenomenal.

The Glock 48

My Glock 19 I carried in various Dark Star holsters for years began to be VERY uncomfortable. To the point where I was at my job and went to my car to take my gun apart and toss it in there. Something had to change and at the time, the 48 was only out for a couple of months, I never gave it any thought until then. Struggled shooting it at first but once I put a red dot on it, I was able to shoot almost as well as a 19. Carrying it is a breeze and now that there’s aftermarket 15 round mags for it, I can have the same capacity as I once did.

The gun itself is reliable, no malfunctions apart from a short period of time where racking the slide to feed an empty gun would feed a round, but sometimes leave the gun with a dead trigger. It has went away and hasn’t happened all year but now that it reminds me, I should get it checked out by Glock...The slimline Glocks from my observations have stupidly stout ejection which I like a lot.

Easily my favorite Glock and my favorite handgun I’ve ever owned and carried.

1. Glock 42.

It's the only. 380 I still own, because it's easy to shoot and comfortable, as opposed to every metal framed 380 I've tried.

2. P7, M8 and PSP, to a lesser degree M13.

I still shoot more accurately with these compared to all of my more modern designs.

cc

Glock 45 (9mm ).

Hands down the best Glock. Very concealable and accurate with the capacity of a full size Glock 17. I like the Gen 5 orange followers and the slightly flared mag well. When I first got the 45 I was indifferent on the front cocking serrations but I’ve grown to like them.

IMHO, this is the best Glock on the market, especially for a LE duty gun.

My first S&W 1917 .45 ACP revolver. Bought it from a pawn shop for about a C-Note and cheap was the main attraction. Corroded and fouled bore, more bare metal than bluing, old Pachmayrs that might have had something chew on them or maybe it was a mild road rash. Also though, still a tight lockup, a smooth clean double action, and about a 2.5 pound glass rod breaking single action. That dog could shoot like no handgun I've fired before or since. Too stupid to know what I had, it went gone as a partial trade for something less... grungy. I've owned other 1917's since that are prettier but nothing as cheat code accurate.

NEF Handi-Rifle .45-70. Again the attraction was CHEAP (cheap was my budget a long time) and .45-70. I recall it was about $130 new from Shotgun News. Light and short it kicked like a 12 Gauge but maybe a bit more punch than shove. All said it was about a 3/4 MOA or better rifle with open sights at a hundred yards. Sigh! Another one I wish wasn't gone. Needed money to finance a move and didn't have room to pack much to boot...

M1 Carbine: bad mouthed the greatest generations pea shooter for decades. Then, I finally bought one and discovered what a handy little thing it really is. From a personal protection standpoint one could do far worse.

Beretta 92: again, hated on it for decades in my ignorance, until I bought one. I then realized what a great gun it really is. Currently, if I found myself going I to the worlds dark places it would be the handgun I'd take with me.

Walther PP , .32acp. : what a vastly different gun than its smaller brethren in .380. Far better in handling, accuracy and above all, reliability. If I absolutely had to make due with a pocket gun this one just might be it.

Smith & Wesson 4506: thought it was cool back in the day but couldn't afford it. Forgot about it for years before finally snagging one. I bought it solely out of nostalgia, but it's accuracy and reliability have impressed. We're made for each other and right now it's my favorite shooter.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    They shoot absolutely fantastic. I just can't get mine trustworthy. Shipping one back to Ruger tomorrow.
    I guess I've been lucky. Mine is an LCP 1 Gen2. I haven't had a single failure in over 500 rounds. I put in a Wolf #13 recoil spring set, and a Tandemkross anti-walk takedown pin.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List