Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammo Price History Tool

Ammo Price History Tool

Anyone know of an ammo price history tool? Looking for some data to better inform myself.

I just use my "order history" section from SG Ammo or TargetSports USA. It tells me what I ordered,how much including tax/shipping. For example, in 2017 I paid $173 for S&B 115 gr. 9mm per 1000 from SG Ammo. Now the same case is $269.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I just use my "order history" section from SG Ammo or TargetSports USA. It tells me what I ordered,how much including tax/shipping. For example, in 2017 I paid $173 for S&B 115 gr. 9mm per 1000 from SG Ammo. Now the same case is $269.
    My order history is sporadic at best so not super useful for me, plus I am looking for data over the last year more than long term trends (since that seems to always be trending up haha).

Unaware of any online tool that does this. I keep price data in a couple of spreadsheets.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

There’s no way to say this without seeming rude.

Just know I don’t mean it like it reads

If you didn’t buy your first box/case/ carton of ammo last week, then we should have some idea of what we paid per round of type/caliber simply based on if we’re willing to buy it again at the same rate.

Regardless of ammo price and market fluctuation, we probably have some idea of what we’re willing to pay to continue at our current round count/training frequency.

Again not to be rude but what does it matter how much it “used to” cost if we can’t buy it there again?

Subjective to you, but my order history at SG is long enough varied enough and Consistently frequent enough to make a solid price point map.

But again. What does it matter in regards to prices today?

Site Supporter
    DUKE: Right On!!!

Executive Summary #1 30%-50% higher for 9mm ball since the beginning of the year. The over/under for quality 9mm ball to the door for the purposes of this discussion is 199.99@1000.

Executive Summary # 2 (and preaching to the choir) Presuming that you were 21 at the time of Sandy Hook, are not "antigun" and you do not now own a Glock and an AR (or their functional equivalents) with a few hundred rounds of ammo and six mags per bare minimum...Look in the mirror re who to blame re why you now have to spend a lot more to get a lot less.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post

If you didn’t buy your first box/case/ carton of ammo last week, then we should have some idea of what we paid per round of type/caliber simply based on if we’re willing to buy it again at the same rate.

Regardless of ammo price and market fluctuation, we probably have some idea of what we’re willing to pay to continue at our current round count/training frequency.

Again not to be rude but what does it matter how much it “used to” cost if we can’t buy it there again?

Subjective to you, but my order history at SG is long enough varied enough and Consistently frequent enough to make a solid price point map.

Not the OP, but I’ll chime in with an answer to “what does it matter?”

I have an interest in having an adequate supply of ammo on hand at all times. This was further motivated by the yearlong ammo shortage after the Newtown shooting. My philosophy has evolved into “I’m going to need it eventually, so when the price is good, I’ll buy, even if I have an adequate supply at the moment.”
    In order to apply this philosophy rationally, it is useful to know what a “historically good price” is. My experience has been that for brass cased practice ammo, a good price for 9mm is $0.18/rd, and $0.30/rd for 5.56.
    Right now, both are going for 10 cents more ($100/ case), so I’ll just be using what I have on hand. When I see the price approach those historical norms, or “lows”, I’ll buy more. Or, if my stockpile gets unacceptably low, I’ll find the best price that week and buy a little.

Bottom line, my answer is “it matters so I’ll know when it’s time to buy ammo again.”

Its simple, new caliber that I haven't looked at before. ie 300 blackout - ie I want to know how badly I am getting raked over the coals on certain loadings because I have zero price history to base the current prices on. Did this round cost 5 bucks a round before or 4? If its selling for 3 bucks a round how far off is that from "normal" prices.

To your point I dont give a shit what 9mm costs right now because A it isn't crazy expensive and B I have a general idea. I have zero idea what 300 blackout should be costing me.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Its simple, new caliber that I haven't looked at before. ie 300 blackout - ie I want to know how badly I am getting raked over the coals on certain loadings because I have zero price history to base the current prices on. Did this round cost 5 bucks a round before or 4? If its selling for 3 bucks a round how far off is that from "normal" prices.

To your point I dont give a shit what 9mm costs right now because A it isn't crazy expensive and B I have a general idea. I have zero idea what 300 blackout should be costing me.
    Cool.

Why not just say “new to 300. What’s its cost to feed?”

You’d have some early adopters telling your their 10 year journey into it, rather than jackasses like my muddying the water

Cool.

Why not just say “new to 300. What’s its cost to feed?”

You’d have some early adopters telling your their 10 year journey into it, rather than jackasses like my muddying the water
    Fair point! But maybe someone needs 45 ammo, or 10mm ammo, or shotgun ammo!

User Tag List