Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Average, Kind of Meh Guns

Site Supporter
    AR and most rifles in general.
    SIG P220 nice enough gun just realized that it was another platform to learn and spend money and money on.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Honestly...other than a handful of guns I'm emotionally invested in, they all ended up this way for me. I handled so many random guns for the magazine that after a while I would open the box and be bored by the time I was putting a mag in one.

Exceptions include high-quality 1911s, Thompsons, guns I built myself, and for some reason the original Skorpion. There's probably some others - oh, the MP5 and 5/10 - but every service pistol, every service rifle, almost every hunting rifle and just about every shotgun, I feel like by the time I'm done taking it out of the box I know about as much as I need to know other than long-term reliability. But even that is so rarely surprising that I mostly just enjoy guns that reflect a particular aesthetic.

This is not just a gun thing, now that I think about it...I find modern jets pretty uninteresting but go completely loopy over Dehavilland Beavers and P51 Mustangs and so on. I don't really care about whatever the latest GSX-R 1000 is but crazy throwback bikes I really enjoy.

Basically, I don't actually require any of this stuff to run at peak efficiency, it's just mechanical art to me. I only really like the art I like and for whatever reason I have some kind of emotional bond with technology from about 1940. And then some random stuff up into the 80s, I assume because I vaguely remember it from childhood.

But the vast majority of guns are, for me, "meh" guns that do about what I expect and neither enthuse nor annoy me.

Any Glock. They're like a decent screwdriver, or whatever analogous tool -- a nothing fancy, dependable workhorse that'll get the job done day in and day out.

ETA: uh... that is, any Glock except the G44 perhaps.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

A few more on the positive end of the meh curve:
    -Two different commercial M-1 Carbines.
    -WASR sidefolder
    -S&W 1917. Fun to shoot, but I had no real problems selling it on, either. I'd like to get another .45 S&W, but something with a 3" barrel, round butt, and adjustable sights
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    The Smith and Wesson M&Ps I own fall into this category. Match grade barrels, Sub 2 inch accuracy at 25 yards, excellent reliability...I should like them more

Buuut I don't. They're just meh.

Also, pretty much any Service Revolver...I like them more than a snubby, but I'm hardly falling over myself with love.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Flame suit on:
    A police trade in S&W M66 that was bought for $200 and maybe came out of the safe twice for range work. It just somehow didn't click with me. Sold it fifteen years later for twice the price. The buyer, who was one of my Sergeants, took off the Pachmayr rubber grips and installed a nice pair of PC Magna stocks and a Tyler T Grip and polished the finish. He sent me pics and I tried to work a trade for it back and of course he wouldn't budge...

I can certainly understand the "Meh" towards Glocks, if for nothing else they are so over-hyped. Too many think they are infinitely better than anything out there. They're solid guns for sure, with some pros and cons, but they aren't the end all to be all.

Any Colt revolver after the single action army. Other than single action bullseye shooting, they're completely meh compared to S&Ws.

Any plastic fantastic. Great Bic lighters, and just as disposable.

Anything in .22lr, yawn.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

G33
    G17

My grandpa's single-shot Stevens 12g. Aside from sentimental value, it's just a tool. Kicks like a mule. My FP6 is far more pleasant to shoot.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List