Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Average, Kind of Meh Guns

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Exacly.

I got a 19 because that what "everybody was carrying." My entire experience with it was "meh." Of course, that's what I expected. Glock is the perfect "meh" gun (Glock perfection!), but, man they work, and everyone has holsters and accessories for them.
    Agreed. Glock 19 is meh. Works, has accessories galore. Nothing really awful or special about them.

Anything in .22LR. I expect them to jam, need constant cleaning and lubrication, have fiddly magazines that are a PIA to load, and generally not be of much use in practice. But, I'm trying to conserve components so I'm warming up with 100 rounds of .22 per training session in a Mark3 that's actually working pretty well.

Remington 700 rifles. It wasn't a great design to begin with.

Shotguns. I do like my 1301 better than any shotgun I've tried. But give me a carbine any day.

Revolvers. I like the challenge of shooting them occasionally, and sometimes carry an LCR 9mm when circumstances require it. But I remain completely unexcited by them.

EDIT:
    Glocks: shooting them is not exciting, but I really like the design and the whole interchangeable parts/mags thing. Glocks as a platform are exciting. But, it is getting annoying that there are so many models now, with incompatible parts and mags. Very un-Glock.

-----
    It's really interesting how people take to guns differently. My P-07s bring a smile to my face every time I strap one on, and shooting them is nearly as much fun as shooting my Shadow2s. Shooting 0.15 splits through the same hole with my carry gun? I love that!
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Exacly.

I got a 19 because that what "everybody was carrying." My entire experience with it was "meh." Of course, that's what I expected. Glock is the perfect "meh" gun (Glock perfection!), but, man they work, and everyone has holsters and accessories for them.
    GLOCKs were all just “meh” to me. They worked, but I didn’t get worked up about them. Then I traded a failed small auto experiment for a G26 because I’d shot a buddy’s G26 and at least it worked.

A 2000 round test later, and I was hooked on GLOCKs as guns that just work and don’t get in the way of me doing the other stuff I need to do. I don’t need to wonder if the gun is going to work, or start to corrode, or fall apart, or if or where I’m going to find parts. I don’t need to wonder if the magazines are going to work or if the spare magazines are going to keep the spare ammo in the magazine. I don’t need to wonder where in the world I’m going to find a holster, because everybody makes holsters for them. Hell, someone on the site just gave me a no-name kydex G19 holster, and it fits and works.

I’ve got five of the dumb things (G26.3, 2xG42, G19x, G44) because they work. They are tools and they work as reliably as an Estwing hammer. I don’t get too excited about them, I just trust them to do what they are supposed to. Any other pistols I buy or keep (besides the 642) are just because I want them, not because I actually need them.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Any pump shotgun, with the exception of one I inherited.
    Came here specifically to post this.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Came here specifically to post this.
    1953 Ithaca 37 Skeet. I get excited by this one. Pretty much any other pump is just a gun: probably fine, but NBD. I bought an 870 youth 20:gauge because it works for my smaller family members. And it’s fine, and boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    1953 Ithaca 37 Skeet. I get excited by this one. Pretty much any other pump is just a gun: probably fine, but NBD. I bought an 870 youth 20:gauge because it works for my smaller family members. And it’s fine, and boring.
    My 870 Wingmaster was my first gun, and I will probably never get rid of because the bluing and walnut furniture are really nice. Still haven't shot it in years...

Also on this list: the police surplus M&P45 midsize I bought for like $230 on impulse. Has a cool PD badge on the slide, heavy trigger, old ish tritium sights. Shoots .45 where I point it. Mostly sits in the safe.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    GLOCKs were all just “meh” to me. They worked, but I didn’t get worked up about them. Then I traded a failed small auto experiment for a G26 because I’d shot a buddy’s G26 and at least it worked.

A 2000 round test later, and I was hooked on GLOCKs as guns that just work and don’t get in the way of me doing the other stuff I need to do. I don’t need to wonder if the gun is going to work, or start to corrode, or fall apart, or if or where I’m going to find parts. I don’t need to wonder if the magazines are going to work or if the spare magazines are going to keep the spare ammo in the magazine. I don’t need to wonder where in the world I’m going to find a holster, because everybody makes holsters for them. Hell, someone on the site just gave me a no-name kydex G19 holster, and it fits and works.

I’ve got five of the dumb things (G26.3, 2xG42, G19x, G44) because they work. They are tools and they work as reliably as an Estwing hammer. I don’t get too excited about them, I just trust them to do what they are supposed to. Any other pistols I buy or keep (besides the 642) are just because I want them, not because I actually need them.
    Pretty much right there with you

Ruger PC Carbine.

Had hankered for a 9mm carbine, got this one, put a can and an Aimpoint PRO on it. Worked well but it was just ... meh.
    Sold it after a couple of range sessions.
    I wouldn't post in RR if you are sensitive in the slightest. It's sort of the opposite of a "safe space." --Baldanders

Hammertime
    Meh:
    10/22
    Steyr Aug
    Walther PPQ/P99
    Sig P320
    Beretta PX4
    Beretta M9
    HK USP compact
    Any Glock

Honestly they are all great guns I would recommend to anyone interested. Meh guns are just tools. It's actually kind of a feature.

User Tag List