Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Strategy Games

As a heads-up to everyone, Civ VI is free on the Epic Games Store today. EGS has not been bad to deal with. I have a couple exclusives and an early-release or two with them (Snowrunner, MechWarrior 5, Borderlands 3, and Surviving the Aftermath) but I will admit that I've been more cautious about investing money in the platform than I have been with, say, Steam.

In other news, TW: Warhammer II got a new lords DLC yesterday, with unique campaigns and mechanics. Price is $9, which is in-line with some of the other legendary lords DLCs, and much cheaper than the faction DLCs like Pirates of the Vampire Coast. Or was it Vampires of the Pirate Coast? Whatever--it's an undead faction that leans very heavily on ranged units, zero cavalry, and a bunch of interesting monstrous and giant units.

X-COM 2 Coming to IOS in November 2020

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    God the permadeath made me save every turn so I could reload and save my really skilled up units...
    Life insurance (saving the game) is your friend, especially before launching a Can Opener. Sometimes the Can Opener would make each pre-programed turn without a hitch. Sometimes it would go horribly wrong and explode in the middle of your squad and wipe out half the squad.

Another good game was Syndicate. You were a crime boss that controlled troops on the ground from an airship. Your troops were people modified with cybernetics and programmed to obey your every command. It had a research tree to improve the troopies, weapons & gear. The most amusing piece of tech was the Persuadatron, a device that persuaded people to become a mindless slave that followed the troopie that Persuadatroned them. The number that can be Persuadatroned was limitless. And you could fit all of the into a car no bigger than a Prius. The goal of the game was to take over the world one territory at a time.

Between missions, you had to manage funds, research, upgrades and purchase gear. Play during the mission was in real time, not turn based.

My favorite was the Yuri's Revenge the expansion pack for Red Alert 2. It was fun packing different troops into a Battle Fortress or an IFV to see how it would work. My favorite faction to play was the U.S. Paratroopers for the win! Everything is in real time- research, resource management, attacks, defense, staging, build up, getting a superweapon online first and so on. I loved that game.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

User Tag List