Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Owl be back...

Owl be back...

Short and visually compelling:

Owls don't get the coolness they deserve. While other raptors have considerable cachet, owls are forgotten.

Probably because you never see them coming; they're the stealth fighters of the animal world.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Some SAT prep for ya:

Owl:ninja::ninja:clown in floppy shoes falling down an aluminum ladder wearing bells

Amazingly designed creatures.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

We've had some aggressive owls in our neighborhood. Mrs. CF's friend was attacked last year while running, and got her head deeply scratched. A few years ago in Salem OR, there was an owl of the same species that had a hardon for government workers.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Owls don't get the coolness they deserve. While other raptors have considerable cachet, owls are forgotten.

Probably because you never see them coming; they're the stealth fighters of the animal world.
    Never see, or hear except when they call. We get them in the back yard sometimes, that’ll wake you up on a warm summer night.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    A long time ago, I watched a barred owl hunting in winter. There was a stone retaining wall across the middle of the back yard. There was maybe a foot of snow on the ground. The owl was perched in a tree nearby, slightly turning its head back and forth. After some minutes, the owl swooped down, plunged a leg through the snow and then soared off with a chipmunk clasped in its talons.

They have amazingly acute hearing and, because of how their ears are placed, they can resolve acoustic direction in all three dimensions.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I got buzzed by one mountain biking at night. Felt a sort of pressure on my shoulders and then something about the width of the trail I was riding down glided away in front of me. After the holy shit of it passed, my thought was like the one in the article. "How is something that large that silent?!" No whoosh, flap, or anything else.

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Bob? Bob? Hey, what happened to Bob?!? He was here a second ago.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Death from above.

User Tag List