Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The $37 custom case

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Was it an airport where they hand check all bags? In those cases, they always open the case. But I'm always standing right there anyway, so it's a non issue.

If the bag goes on a conveyor for x-ray in the basement, I've almost never had any issues keeping the actual hard-sided case locked with two non-TSA padlocks.
    They do X-ray all bags before they take them on the conveyor.

Good news about non-TSA padlocks. I think this case in a locked duffel will be my SOP for travel with the pistol.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

Without question, in your checked baggage is easier and certainly cheaper. I mainly use the TSA locks on the gun case because Newark (my home airport) seems to want to look at the guns fairly frequently. One other thing that I do is cable tie my knife to the trigger guard of one of my pistols. Knives are never stolen but just in case.
    This is how I left NC this morning, same setup as always.

The TSA is okay with a regular SIG blue box? I had kind of assumed they'd be too flimsy from what I read of the regulations.

That case has been everywhere, never a problem. They are just looking for a hard, lockable, case. Other than that, there's really no standard.
    If I didn't take two guns, I have the original box from my 642 which barely fits a 229 and would take up much less space in my luggage. I just can't leave town without two though.

The few times I've flown, my preferred carrier is Southwest, so check bag cost wasn't an issue, but I tend to agree that a lone Pelican case could be a "steal me" flag. One thing I use to use was an old hard side make-up case I found in a second hand store. It was lockable and came with the key. Not the best lock, but I was allowed to put the firearms tag inside and never had a problem. Best of all, it didn't scream "gun" or anything else that might be high dollar. This was pre-9/11 however. I now put my gun inside the case it came with, locked inside my locked checked luggage. Using TSA locks.
    --
    Formerly hombre gris
    I am no longer LEO, never .MIL. I am .DAD and my attitude will reflect that.
    Cogito ergo armatus sum -- I think, therefore I am armed

Do you guys cable lock the case to the main luggage? Just thinking it would make it much harder for someone to remove the case in the event they cut into your soft side.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

John,
    I don't, never have. Someone would have to know its in there and if they do and want it that bad, they'll likely get thru the cable too.
    Last edited by Rverdi; 03-18-2011 at 08:14 PM.

User Tag List