Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are you using in your subgun/PCC?

What are you using in your subgun/PCC?

I’m interested in hearing what people are running for SD/HD. Are you using FMJ or JHP? My thought process is since a sub/PCC allows for more accuracy at larger ranges than a handgun, a FMJ would allow for better penetration. I’m kind of torn. If I saw it being used solely inside a dwelling, then I’m sure JHP would be the way to go. But, what about outside the home. I picked up a CZ Scorpion evo 3 Micro a while ago and I find it tagging along much more than my SBR. So far I’ve been keeping it filled with the Winchester 124gr p+. Am I completely off. Should I use the same HSTs as my pistols?

I just run the same ammo in both- Lawman 147 for practice, HST 147 for defense.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

115 AE and 124 Lawman for practice, Gold Dot 124+P for carry.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I just run the same ammo in both- Lawman 147 for practice, HST 147 for defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    115 AE and 124 Lawman for practice, Gold Dot 124+P for carry.
    Thanks for your replies. Do you think the JHP would have any reduction in efficiency at longer ranges? What are you running these rounds in? Barrel length? I should have tried to figure out how to make this a poll.

Quote Originally Posted by inkslinger View Post
    Thanks for your replies. Do you think the JHP would have any reduction in efficiency at longer ranges? What are you running these rounds in? Barrel length? I should have tried to figure out how to make this a poll.
    I'm using a CZ Scorpion Evo III, 7.5" bbl with brace.

Long range performance really isn't a consideration- an AR would be a better bet for that purpose.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

If the trade-off is which load is better for 100 yards versus which load is better for a distance of muzzle to 25 yards, I would choose the load optimized for the closer distance, as that is how I envision my use of a PDW, and especially one in a pistol cartridge.

I’m interested in hearing what people are running for SD/HD. Are you using FMJ or JHP? My thought process is since a sub/PCC allows for more accuracy at larger ranges than a handgun, a FMJ would allow for better penetration.
    Penetration of what? FMJs typically have worse barrier-blind performance than modern bonded duty ammo. Hard cast is a different story, but FMJs ain't hard cast.

I use Speer Gold Dot G2 in my CZ Evo, because that's what my pistols have.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Penetration of what? FMJs typically have worse barrier-blind performance than modern bonded duty ammo. Hard cast is a different story, but FMJs ain't hard cast.

I use Speer Gold Dot G2 in my CZ Evo, because that's what my pistols have.
    I was just thinking that with the combination of velocity loss and expansion, it would reduce penetration. I’m totally on board with the idea of choosing a round that would be more effective at shorter distances. I just never seemed to have come across any discussions on FMJ vs JHP for sub guns. The ones I have seemed to lean towards FMJ for feeding reliability, but the was based more on full auto SMG’s.

I was just thinking that with the combination of velocity loss and expansion, it would reduce penetration. I’m totally on board with the idea of choosing a round that would be more effective at shorter distances. I just never seemed to have come across any discussions on FMJ vs JHP for sub guns. The ones I have seemed to lean towards FMJ for feeding reliability, but the was based more on full auto SMG’s.
    I would always go with reliability first, then bullet performance. If I did want to shoot a non JHP load, it would probably be Lehigh solids, which have a ball profile and should penetrate well.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I would always go with reliability first, then bullet performance. If I did want to shoot a non JHP load, it would probably be Lehigh solids, which have a ball profile and should penetrate well.
    Those seem interesting. Their description claims increased permanent wound cavity 2-4x ball. Thanks.

User Tag List